Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stories by Arkie John......

if you had not it would have been very serious and the cell phone has become a lifesaver!
Enjoyed this story a lot because it reminds me of way too many of my own misadventures! Thanks AJ:clapping:

Isn't it great to KNOW you have friends and loved ones like Tom and Linda that will come running when you need them no questions asked! I am blessed to have the same. On more than one occation I have had brothers,cousins, and friends come running to my rescue....no questions asked......UNTIL I was out of harms way.....there have been times when after they have helped me out they have asked me if I was nuts.....:lol: for getting myself in such a mess! But still, I know that should I need them....I know they will be there as I would for them! Great story!

Some great photos AJ! Can almost count your nose hairs:biggrin: My favorite Uncle used to call those "nostril shots".

not all of it runs to a script.

It is nice to know we have people to count on when we need them.

think your family is similar to mine. tell me one more time, what city do you live in? I know the state. :)

...but the opportunity to have a steady career and to be able to save toward that retirement year through a thrift savings plan (TSP). I'd better take some of the last statement back. Because I was employed for 40 years with the government--at sub-standard wages--and they DID match the first 2.5 % of my TSP savings. I gave them (the Government) 40 years...they gave me 2.5%. Wow.

Regardless, I used their system to my family's benefit and after staying the course with the Feds and making a payment to ourselves first, each payday, for many years, we reaped the benefit. It was all by design.

"Gigi's Fancy" stands tall in the water because she is paid for by our efforts through the years. Now, I am dedicated to wear her out every week for as long as the good Lord allows me to remain here on Earth. The only thing she costs me now is standard maintenance and 25 gallons of fuel each month. lol

Certainly not to brag, but it has shown our kids the value of a decent work ethic and saving as a result.

This retirement thing is great. It's like your doctor putting you on decaf for five years and you go out somewhere and the waiter inadvertantly slips you a cup of the 'real thing.' You take a sip and aaahhhh. You don't have to get used to it. That's the way retirement is. I don't have to get used to it.

I don't regret working for the Feds, but I SURELY don't regret retirement at 60 either. I look at so many Federal agencies and see how they are nothing but parasites. But I look a the Corps and see what they have done. Just in Arkansas: Bull Shoals, Beaver, North Fork; Greers Ferry: Blue Mountain; Nimrod; Ouachita; DeGray; Greeson; Millwood; Dierks; DeQueen; Gillham lakes and the daming of the Arkansas --- none of the lakes would have been here adn the Arkansas would still be just an intermitant muddy stream had it not been for the Corp's efforts.

I don't agree with all they say and do, but I am proud of how they have built hundreds of projects for flood control, navigation and ultimately recreation. Man, I live with five major lakes within 40 miles of my home (again, by design).

So, yep, I'm guilty of receiving that 2.5% for forty years of effort. Gosh, if I'd worked for Edward Jones or Bank of America, maybe I coulda bought me one of those 80' gleaming steel houseboats and had two or three retirement homes.

Now back to reality. I'm blessed and satisified to be where I am and I hope to enjoy each and every day until my last. I earned it and now I am spending a little bit. I may spend it all before I croak. My kids need to earn their own inheritance. lol

Thanks for the observation. I guess I'll get off my soap box now. The Corps is something I once did, but no more. I don't ever plan to go back to that office, nor do I plan to ever work another Federal disaster. I'm done. I literally have tastier fish to fry. My biggest concern these days is the good and improving health of my family, raising my grandbabies, being a pain in the azzz to the Corps from time to time and watching the next weather/wind forecast. :)

If you ever get down here, you'll have to let me take you around the lake and show you some real tubs! lol

Blessings to you and yours,

aj

those are super pics:) and i understand why you are proud of that cruiser, just fine it is! Live the dream AJ you waited long enough :thumbup::thumbup:

maded me out to be a full fledged hero alright! We'll do it again sometime,(I,m SURE),

This was just another adventure of the Garrett boys. I,m glad that we,ve settled down just a little in the last few years, heck, I couldnt stand it if that Garrett temper had a been a factor. We both took this pretty good I thought.

You were right though. I was a wonderful night without a moon in sight; just a zillion stars over head. Cant wait to break my new tent in this spring. I,m north-bank bound!

Great story!

Lil Brother