Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stories by Mikie........

n/t

I kinda left home when I was 16. My father and I were having problems [although from this vantage point of almost 50 years later, I can see his point of view and understand him better], so there was not much to hold me there.

Fair winds

mikie

As most have mentioned, it takes a lot to break out of the norm and venture out. Its a big step for sure. I'm impressed with your language skills at such a young age also. What circumstances made all those languages available? When we were traveling in Europe I was surprised how many people spoke many different languages. I had assumed there just the country's being so small and backed up to others kinda of forced it. I like the hitch hiking mode of travel. I remember those times well myself and it was normal to do it. Today, no way. We went all over that way or if we had no destination we would jump on the back woods milk trains and wander around new england. They were slow, a million stops and heck, it was fun. Met a lot of hobo's riding the trails then and they all had interesting stories to tell. None ever bothered us. Thats were I saw my first hobo nickel.... about 5 miles from my home was a big turntable that they worked on the trains or turned them north again. There were lots of old shanties there, coal bins and they would stay in them. I've gone back there many times looking for their coins they doctored. Think I have a few pictures I'll attach if on this system.

I sure agree with you on the beautiful coast line of Oregon. We ran it from Washington State to Francisco and it really was awesome. We especially enjoyed riding the dunes no quads there in Oregon. I was surprised how cold the water was. I tried metal detecting in a lot of it and it was almost painful cold with no wet suit on and this was mid June. The waters are warmer on the east coast for sure. Stayed at one beach area in Eureka Calif or just north of there where the Red woods are. Parrie something, and with the surf pounding all night and then the mist in the am, beautiful. Jane and I were walking the beach early that morning and were wondering if we might see a seal. Then like it was planned one popped up close to sure as if watching us and kind of follow us along. We still talk of that. I had taken pictures on my movied rig, guess what ones didn't come out do to a problem in the camera....

Hey great story. You have done some really interesting things in our life. Keep it up.

George-CT

Yeah it was a good time, back then. As to the language skills. For some reason, languages came [and still do to some extent] very easily for me. When we were in school, we had to take a second language. Your choices in those grades, were French or Latin. I chose Latin. [Nowadays, all Canucks are forced to take French] When I had that down pat, I went to German [In high school] and Spanish. Italian was a breeze [Since I had Latin].. Russian was pretty strange. All that Cyrillic lettering.. However, Upon graduation, there they were. I thought that I might be a translator somewhere... wound up in the hospital as a tech. Life sometimes plays you funny.

I graduated at 16 years. It was a pain since I was at least two years younger that the kids in my class. Anyone my age was a couple of grades back. So, in reality, I had very little in common with many of my schoolmates. [The benefits of skipping a couple of grades. :(: But my folks were sooooo proud :): ] I sure would not let my children skip.

Would love to get back to that Oregon coastline. My memories of it are still pretty vivid.

Fair winds

Mikie

I would love to find one of those war rings they made out of coins during WW2 but never have. They would beat them with a spoon and roll the outside over and on the inside would be the date. I understand they had to stop them on ships because the subs would pick up on the tapping.

That is a neat nickel you have there !!

n/t

Here is some of the info on them, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_nickel but google hobo nickel and check out some of the sites there. You will see some really nice work being done today. Detecting along the tracks from time to time will turn them up as well as old rail stations long since abandoned.

Geo

...written so well. It sure gave me some insight and hurled me back to a few memories of my own.

And...I am ENVIOUS that you can post photos. lol

aj

n/t

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/RoyalOttmar/Videos/?action=view&current=Video1.flv

makes me look old and half bald HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Accurate sucker at that :D

The year was 1957. I was 10 years old and had seen a few pictures of, and had read a few stories about, scuba diving

The days of Lloyd Neilson and "Sea Hunt":thumbup:, i too was smitten but never got near the SCUBA gear like you did until the mid 60's when i dated a girl who had a Dad that was a diver and so was she. My lessons came soon after but although i wanted to do much more, life got in the way and i only managed a few shallow lake dives for the next several years.

Please continue buddy, i'm all eyes! :clapping:

We got to reminiscing one night and we both did the "Do you remember...?" scenario. That, of course, brought other memories to the front and I am writing them down and will flesh them out in due course.

Yeah.. 51 years this year. Long time. Many of my old buddies have either passed on, or given it up, or, in one case, got himself so bent that he is now in a wheelchair.

I have been lucky I guess.

Fair winds

Mikie

I can remember being like you and the only thoughts on my mind were about scuba diving. I was age 16, or 1956 when the bug got to me.
I had been working on peoples boats and saw a chance to make a few more bucks if I had scuba gear. I had saved up about $150 bucks from painting and cauking boats. I sent off to Boston to a place called Kellog Marine and bought a single tank by US Divers and a 2 hose regulator.
The tank was fine, but the regulator would keep flooding out. I finally saved up a few more bucks and bought a Single hose I think it was called Aquamatic. Easy one to use and not the anoying hoses slapping me upside the head. I had a cheap depth gauge , had a air bubble in it that would give you the depth. that didn't last long before I got a better one. I learned to dive on my own by reading and talking with other divers, but as luck would have it, some guys who were keeping their boat at our marina had just opened up a Dive Shop called Aqua Sports.
I later went to all their dive classes and went with them often when they took others out. They were both Navy Divers and taught me a lot and got me away from a lot of bad moves on my part. I rememer my first duck fin's, real stiff black ones, no flex at all but you could walk on the tops of them. I guess I liked them best for being able to fan the bottom and expose cherry stones for the taking at the mouth of the river.

They taught me how to make my first wet suit with the 1/4 inch rubber and the instant glue. No linning in them then so the powder was a must to get it on. I had a great time doing it, and it sure helped out at the marina with the boats and the lobster tank intakes that were in about 60 feet of water. I was always clearing them of seaweed etc. I got married kind of young so once after about 2 years we decided to have kids, 3 kids later there was not time to dive to often and the gear was agging so I sold it. I got in and out of it later with other buddies but never really back into it full bore. Then once the heart problem came up, that pretty much put it off limits. Your post brough up some nice memories to think about and diving with friends. Often we just did the buddy system and shared tank playing in the ponds etc.

The two guys that taught me, went on to become well know divers in the Navy. Al Stover and Bob Carnary. Al ended up dieing in a dive on the Alumanut Dive bell when he locked him self in on cell to conserved air for the rest of them as he was the smallest and died from hypothermia.

Look forward to the rest of your adventures. Good reading......

George-CT

"Silent World" got me interested and I as a teen somehow managed to find money enough to buy snorkeling gear!

Over the years since I have snorkeled a bit in some beautiful settings, but have never managed to go the compressed air route.

Obligations somehow always got in the way.

I really enjoy ed the limited experiences I have had.

Thanks for the excellent read Mikie!!

Kindred spirits one and all!!

CJ

Made from surplus rubber that my father got and did it ever suck. When I got my first wet suit, I was in heaven. I can still tell you the price [27 cents] of a container of corn starch that we used back then to ease us into our suits.

More to come later.

Fair winds

Mikie