Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stories by Mikie........

[attachment 114594 Sandon.jpg]

n/t

The year was 1964

you permission to go, or at least helped you. You were so young. It is sad about the hitching rides. I used to pick people up all the time when I was that age though. I think I wrote a story about picking up a young girl and her baby, and took her home with me. But that's another story.

I have to agree, I have been to Cozumal one time in my life, and loved it. We went diving, but not very deep. We did find a private beach and had a great skinny dippin' experience. I remember dropping a quater off the boat and watching it fall almost 50 feet. It was amazing. I would love to go back, but people tell me it's not the same as it used to be. When I was there, the only place we could find was a TGI Friday's and got a hamburger! Now I'm sure it's probably a big town.

Loved your story...........and it musta been Royal you gave the black corral to,.................it sure wasn't me!!!! :poke:

Hi Mikie,

What wonderful memories!! There are so few people in this life that are willing to step out of their rut and live a little that it is amazing.

I'm glad you shared your experiences with us Friend,

Cupajo

It would appear to be tourist central now... But back then, it was a small, cozy little place.

Fair winds

Mikie

n/t

I have always enjoyed stories about adventures like this one. I have never heard of black coral until I read your story...learned something new. Thanks for sharing this story...it is a good one! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Those were the days though.. You were young, had your whole life in front of you and everything was coming up roses.

Good memories

Calm seas

Mikie

I am amazed by some of the things you and others have done and accomplished in your lives. I had no idea you were fluent in several languages....very impressive ! What a great adventure you must have had! Makes my experiences kinda boring in comparison.Thanks for a wonderful story!

that was a exquisite glimpse into your younger years. You were your own man for sure!
Given the time period, diving to 175 ft had to be really pushing it i believe. When we were young we were invincible and seriously lucky to survive!
Good story buddy!:clapping:

about twenty years ago, at its early stages of becoming a tourist attraction. Visited some Mayan ruins..took an hour on a crappy tourist bus to get to the ruins, located on the shore...simply beautiful, think it was Chitzineza? They had just cleared the area of brush,and jungle a year before... Beautiful but poor country.. I remember it rained during the bus ride, don't think the wipers worked..also remember when getting on the bus, seeing a tow chain, and a pile of wrenches lying on the floor near the driver...i didn't think that was a good sign, but we made it....Thanks for the memory, Mikie!:thumbup:

it is far more than a hour bus ride to the ruins. I was diving on Cozumel abut 18 years ago and we took a plane, that is by far the best way to get there. It is on the main land and inland quite a ways, over a hundred miles and it is a full day trip by bus. If you fly it costs a bit over a hundred bucks per person and it is only a half hour flight or so.

There are ruins on the island of Cozumel though but they are not much, compared to Chitzinitza. Chitzinitza is awesome. The sacrificial pool is there, the ball court where the WINNERS were sacrificed, the pyramid and the observatory. Awesome place to visit

[attachment 118772 Chitzinitza.jpg]

it is an amazing place to dive but the last time will be my last time. Too many divers now. They added a new dock so I think it is three cruise ships at a time can dock now and the reefs are actually crowded.

A person needs a boat to get to anything worth diving and the top of the reef is 50 ft in most places, then it drops to 2000 ft, straight down! There is a nice current going from South to North on the inside shore, pretty much the only place people dive, the shore facing Mexico.

I just loved the first trip but the last trip was just too crowded, the roads were packed and the water was full of divers. One day we had to wait in the boat on Palancar Reef so the divers that were down finished their dive! We had boats waiting behind us. Unbelievable!

The first time we went there was a couple from Canada that disappeared on the reef. One was having some problem and they just disappeared in the depths and were never found.

That is the place where some guy from Michigan rented a jet ski, this was quite a few years ago and it conked out for some reason. The current carried him off and they finally found him, actually some freighter found him by accident off the coast of Cuba. Days after the Mexican Government gave up trying to find him. His family had to hire pilots to keep hunting after the search was called off but he was found by accident.

It had to be a long time on a conked out jet ski for sure.

I read your stories and wish that I had those types of adventures!! :):

fair winds

mikie

had made out deep dive and were spending our surface interval before the shallow one slowly working our way south. We would have our noon snack and watch the flying fish and such.

I noticed that we were working our way nearer shore than normal and we looked to where the boatsmen were looking and pointing. There was a big double deck tour boat pulled up to shore. Upon closer inspection we could not help notice that the people that were on shore were working their way into the brush. Upon CLOSER inspection we noticed they were all nude. There had to be 20 or so.

Now many people may think that was a treat but those people were heading to the brush for a very good reason. Not all that many people look all that good in the bright sunlight and nekked for sure and these were no exception.

With one exception. There was one gal that was standing ankle deep in the water, her hands on her hips and smiling at us. She Knew she was looking good and was proud of it. We waved and she waved and what that did to her huge booblicals just sorta brought a smile to a fellers face, if not my girlfriends. Actually she was as good as the lady in the surf but weren't nekked :D

There are many islands that have nude beaches but that has never been my thing. Not publicly anyway. I guess I am one of the majority that looks better in clothing :thumbup:

Back in the early 60s, it really was a sleepy little burg whose people were wonderful. I know thatI could not go back there now.. I would be most unhappy with the comparison of my memory and the reality of today.

Fair winds

Mikie

n/t