Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PINPOINTING PROBLEM

1) You mentioned that your machine became erratic.
1a) What does erratic mean exactly?
1b) Is that all the time? Or only near certain areas?
1c) Is it only when you have your settings cranked up, or all the time?
1d) Do you have a coil cover on your loop?
1e) Have you tried other coils or just the one?

This was the second machine , the second machine was running very stable I was able to determine a good hit with the depth being acccurate and was able to pick out silver, buffalo's and indian cents, when it went bonkers, I had just pulled out the indian cent, tried to move with it but it just sounded like a pinball machine tried to lower my settings to no fix I was having a good day but that day was lost
With this one that I have now it does not match the depth that the second machine had, till this day I have not been able to get a decent hit or good depth reading. No tx boost is used unless I hear a faint sound which comes out to be about 4 inches ???? if I have to use tx shouldn't it be deeper?? I will keep on working with this until I determine if it really has to be returned .I do not feel like sending in and not having a machine ,I am kind of getting tired after sending 3 units in for exchanges,
But anyway I would appreciate any suggestions, any adjustsments. I have tried to run in one frequency and it seems to get a better depth reading, three frequencies it seems to be confused on pinpointing ,When pinpointing.. the sound it makes sometimes it stays on for about 5 seconds it seems to get stuck I am using 950 5.3 and DD
I have lowered the gain, allmetal, discriminate ,lowered the filters,I use beach, hi pro, silver, coin, I have good ground here in NY

redbird said:
With this one that I have now it does not match the depth that the second machine had, till this day I have not been able to get a decent hit or good depth reading. No tx boost is used unless I hear a faint sound which comes out to be about 4 inches ???? if I have to use tx shouldn't it be deeper??

So, this is your 3rd machine?

Tx Boost can add depth if your ground isn't too mineralized. You say you have good ground in NY, so I would expect Tx Boost not to cause a problem if that's the case.

redbird said:
I will keep on working with this until I determine if it really has to be returned .I do not feel like sending in and not having a machine ,I am kind of getting tired after sending 3 units in for exchanges,
But anyway I would appreciate any suggestions, any adjustsments. I have tried to run in one frequency and it seems to get a better depth reading, three frequencies it seems to be confused on pinpointing ,When pinpointing.. the sound it makes sometimes it stays on for about 5 seconds it seems to get stuck I am using 950 5.3 and DD
I have lowered the gain, allmetal, discriminate ,lowered the filters,I use beach, hi pro, silver, coin, I have good ground here in NY

Are you running with wireless headphones? What is your WHP power setting? If you have it too low, then it can lose connection and the audio will act like you describe. Some can run as low as 1 or 2, others can't. That's a luck of the draw on the module - we left in the lower settings in case it worked for some, but their data sheet did say that they don't guarantee good connection with a power level less than 5.

For the depth, in search mode (and analysis), that is a known that it is not accurate - it is very dependent on other factors which make it only a guess - it can be way off. When you find a target, you need to go to pinpoint to get the accurate depth reading. Pinpoint should be good as long as Tx Boost is off. (I'm still not sure if it's pinpoint that you are having a problem with? Or if it's search?).

So, this is your 3rd machine?
yes, I do not want to go to fourth

Are you running with wireless headphones? What is your WHP power setting? If you have it too low, then it can lose connection and the audio will act like you describe. Some can run as low as 1 or 2, others can't. That's a luck of the draw on the module - we left in the lower settings in case it worked for some, but their data sheet did say that they don't guarantee good connection with a power level less than 5.

Connection is 4 whp is 5

For the depth, in search mode (and analysis), that is a known that it is not accurate - it is very dependent on other factors which make it only a guess - it can be way off. When you find a target, you need to go to pinpoint to get the accurate depth reading. Pinpoint should be good as long as Tx Boost is off. (I'm still not sure if it's pinpoint that you are having a problem with? Or if it's search?).

Pinpoint

Dont know if this is of any help but I have noticed in pinpoint a depth prob if,the RX is to hot and there are shallow targets. They can read deeper by a few inches. Haven't had deep targets read shallow though. Good Luck Yazoo

I would have to agree with you on that Yazoo.

RedBird, what is the strength of your ground? You can get that by scrolling over to the track live control and pressing Zoom. A screen appears with the ground information on the right (phase and signal strength). Press Menu/Tab until you get to the zero button. With the loop in the air, press enter to "zero" the detector. Then lower the loop to the ground. What are the signal strength readings (the phase readings are at the top, and the strength readings are at the bottom)? (If you're in 3 frequency mode, you will get signal readings for all 3 frequencies, but if you're only in single freq mode, you will get only the one frequency info).

It is possible that you are running your gain a bit high for your ground. I don't know what your ground is like (which is why I asked for the above info). If you are running the gain too high, targets will be swamped by the ground signals. If that is the case, then lowering your gain should help. If you lower your gain, you can then increase your disc sens.

I really hope every thing works out for you redbird,Im still waiting for the phone call??????I talk to carl today and he said i did not get your address yet to mail out the new detector so i pm him with it and ask if he had got it no pms pack yet,I hope he got it so i could go on my hunt,Me and some aTHing friends had been planing a trip for some time now.I have to say my detector did get the depth and deep,I had put a nickel in the ground at about nine inches or so and the v3 pull it out with ease if your detector is only seeing 4" i would think there is something wrong....

Not to highjack the thread, but in reference to the above post by ak_1234 it was stated

Is this possible even if the machine is running fairly quiet? I generally disregard the rx gain suggestion and run it up until I get just a tad bit of chatter. If I should be running it completely quiet, let me know, especially if it is costing me targets.
Thank you!

I think this is true,For I did some testing on the real hot side meaning very lil chatter sorta like I used to do with my DFX, there was a depth loss.There was also a loss in depth readings from reading surface junk as deep good targets. I would have say that by using the suggested settings in some areas you can get away with hotter settings by a couple numbers.Yazoo

I am very happy to get good responses on this subject I want to thank all who contribute all suggestions are appreciated
ak1234 I will try that this weekend coming, I am running it at 7

This message is for Carl you pm me saying you would get a new detector sent out Monday,I pm you with my address Monday so i know it did not get sent out my fault but i pm you last night asking if you would have it sent out on Tuesday and have noy gotten a pm back,Please let me know whats going on with this,Thanks greg.For redbird i try backing down the gain an still the depth is off ,Question has your detector ever just shut down mine did yester day i said to my friend did i turn it on and he said yes you had made some adjustments set it down and it went off....Did this happen to any one with there v3???? yazoo,Larry....Thanks guys for all your help and time...

That is a good point Tinfoil. I have mine set high to get better depth with the DX-1 but I can see where too much will mess up the depth reading of the standard coil.

Hi,
I was at the beach again this past weekend and it still read 0 to 1/4" for a quarter 5/6" and under. I had Tx boost off and RX set to keep it around 10 to 15% (using the probe in sensitivity) all metal at 55 and disc around 85. When I use my DFX the depth is perfect, if it says 4" I will find the item at 4".
I am very disappointed with the depth on this.
I thought is was great (with the DFX) when I came upon a good target and pinpointed at 5". I could dig down to 4" and then gently scrape away the last amount of soil/sand and retrieve the target, it was amazing how good the DFX is. I feel like a mind reader, the target says 2" I put the scoop in just enough (2.5-3") to get what I need, no extra work sifting more then I need to.
Then I use the V3 it tells me its 1/4" and I after 2 inches I just scoop a few more til I find it. It like looking for an Easter egg but much less fun. I ding most of my finds (just clad) because I don't know if its 1/4" of 5" down. The excitement is just not there with this its like I'm using my kids BH Tracker IV (only $1425 less) but I have the color graph.

It pinpoints the same way with the 950 and the super 12, I no longer have the 10"DD. that is the only other possibility.
The V3 was in a couple months ago and was upgraded to v1.3. The main problem then with the head phone power too low, but I did have the pinpointing problem then also.

I hope Whites (or anyone else) comes up with what adjustment/change with the V3 or the operator (Me, it still could be something I'm doing but I don't think so)

Hey welcome lawson and thanks for joining in
We are trying to figure this out, I have ask all who want to contribute to try and find out if this is a machine problem or just a minor machine adjustment
so just hang on and read any of the suggestions people put on this thread and try it on your machine and let us know how your machine reacts
I dont think it would be the coil the 950 should give you I think better on the pinpoint if you got rid of your dd it should not matter so far with my coils they all do the same thing I have the 5.3 950 and DD
Tinfoil my all metal is set to 80 disc at 55 rx is at 7 I like using the salt ,coin , pro and silver

Im not so happy with Whites at this time,I have been having trouble with the depth being off,I have to say Carl did as he said he would do and sent me another detector,the control unit only,But it has Vision on the side not spectra V3,Not happy about that but it will do,On top of that it has refurbish on the in side i dont think i should have to take a refurbish unit,I think im going to box up the hole thing and send it to whites and i would like to have a new unit,I dont think I'm asking to much,With out a dough there is some thing going on with this detector i had a Garrett 2500 and i know its not apples and apples but the it did tell the size of the object and the pinpoint never gave me any trouble always on time, I like Whites they are in my opinion the best out there but some thing went wrong here there or just to many people having the same troubles with there detector,and to add insult they sent me a used detector ....All i can say is wow,what happen Whites..........

I have to agree with you Greg, If you have new V3, it seems like you are entitled to a new V3 in return. I would have to assume there was mis-communication between Carl and shipping....:shrug:

well he said he ask,and i know he did and i pm him with the answer spectra v3,im going to give it a try,the air test seem to be the same,IM going on a trip to Mississippi,in the morning.ILL keep you guys up to date.....the pinpoint looks to be on time from what i can tell...We will have to see.But i really like to have a spectra v3 on the side of the box,Carl said it has all the up dates and its the same,What do you think Larry????

The choice should be yours Greg, the insides are the same, it is just the name that is different. If you like the V3 instead of Spectrum, and that is what you had, it seems you should be entitled...:shrug: