Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PINPOINTING PROBLEM

When i lift the loop up i can tell its not on time at all,Say if the loop is @8 inches the depth reads 3 to 4 inches,I hope whites can fix this problem,Some may not use the depth at all but the ones that do would like it to work,Thanks for all your help Larry boy i need it,What do you think should be my next move???Send it to whites????I found it funny that the 10"DD coil was bad i put a friend of mine on and the detector it work fine but the depth,I like the 950 coil on it very good depth and separation ,:whites:
ILL keep you guys posted,IF any one comes up with a fix please let me know are if your detector is doing the same thing let us know......Whites your detectors are the best tools for treasure hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!HANDS DOWN.......:please:

If the unit was mine, it would go in to the shop. Let's see if we can get White's attention on this for a comment....................:wave:......

I know the search and pinpoint depth are different, so this would be no reason to send it in. I don't the depth was ever right on with my MXT either. For me my V3 seem to show the coin a little deeper than it is, but it is consistent. In a short time you just can mentally adjust. Example, if a 3" is always a 1" or a 7" is always a 5" so what. I think you will find if you change AM it changes some. It also varies with coils. I'm not sending in mine for this. Rob

I did a comparison with a dealer by me (not telling them I had one and knew of the problems) I went and told them I was interested in the V so they gave me a demonstration with the dd coil and you know what that coil had a problem giving the correct depth the dealer seen this and said it was the flouresant lights causeing this " while set in common"???? I don't think this was not an honest reply

Just for referance for others, a depth reading should be done outside and in the ground with a proper ground balance.

Just want to interject here... In all the V3s I've played with, this is not something that is common at all. Send it in to Whites.

White's has not seen any V3 with a depth readout problem, so I cannot speculate what might be wrong. However, some people pinpoint by lifting the coil in the air, pulling the trigger, and lowering the coil back down to the target. If ground balance is off, this can cause a depth readout error. Move the coil off to the side of the target and pull the trigger, then swing back over the target.

LS, if you want to send in your unit I can go ahead and send you a replacement.

- Carl

Thanks Carl.........:cheers:

Redbird is having the same problem too.

Larry:

Perhaps you should talk to Todd and Anne at White's. Both of them examined the two V3s which were sent in by me. One was mine, one was my partners. They were sent in due to depth problems with pinpoint mode and search mode. Both detectors were determined to be defective from the factory due to calibration/balancing problems. Both machines were sent in and both machines were replaced with new machines due to this very problem.

I spoke to Todd directly about this a few times and emailed back and forth with Anne. I have also spoken/messaged to other V3 users who have had their machines replaced for this problem.

Taterhead

I'm not having a problem with mine.

There is no doubt there are some defective products out there and White's are quick to fix or replace the ones who need it. We are just trying to help those who think they might be doing something wrong that they can fix themselves. By all means everyone, if you think your V3 is defective call White's service and get it taken care of.

Hi Larry:

I appreciate your post very much. If I got the sense that Whites was trying to deny these problems that I have had confirmed by other users I would be really upset.

I respect integrity more than I respect perfection.

You obviously care about White's users and doing all you can to insure a quality detecting experience, both by helping us address our own programming problems and by helping us know when it is time to throw in the towel and send the machine in.

Taterhead

Thanks for the kind words Taterhead. I'm just one of many V3 users who are here not only to learn but to help others, many of them far smarter than I. Kudos to all and a special thanks to the White's engineering and service team who are active on this forum. :clapping:

I have the same problem with my V3. I get a depth reading that shows 0 to 1/4" and the coin is @ 4 to 5" deep. I live in a area where I can use the machine to it's full potential. I have been waiting to see if anyone else had this problem. I have had mine in the shop for the pod seperation and the software upgrade. The machine seems to work well but the depth reading will drive you crazy.

Earl

Hi Tater,

Actually, I have your detector in my office right now. I'm not sure what Todd saw with it, but for me your detector is working perfectly. A quarter at 4" is reading 3-3/4", which is close enough. I will continue looking at it. What was your primary hunting program?

- Carl

Hi Carl:

Thank you for your reply.

Edited to add: I hunted in Coin and Coin Jewelry with the occasional forray into deep silver. Basically, I just adjusted coin and jewelry gain and Disc Sens until it quieted down. I also used Tone ID and turned off Modulation. No bottle cap reject or hot rock.

I sent you two V3s. Are you talking about the one with the broken pod and bad coil or the one with the cracked coil cover and no other obvious physical problems? I sent a note with each detector, but that was a while ago. I spoke with Todd, who confirmed that Anne found a depth problem that they think was associated with irregularities in the manufacturing process.

The primary hunting problems with the non-cracked, non-bad coil machine were inaccurate depths on search with the detector showing that coin-sized targets were 4-5 inches deep when they were about an inch or less regularly. Additionally, I suspedted depth problems which were confirmed by Anne in her office. The machine was not getting depth that would be expected, regardless of environment and based on experience with the MXT on the other half of the same field, despite a few months of tuning/learning. This machine was running 1.0 software, this was with the stock coil and without TX boost. I kept the AM sens between 50 and 80. Rx gain usually between 8 and 12, sometimes higher. The Disc Sens was usually between 75 and 90.

The primary hunting problems with the cracked bad pod and the out-of-spec coil machine were similar in the depth reading department...items closer than they appeared regularly. This was not my machine, so I don't know it as intimately, though I was along on most of the hunts where it was used. This machine was running 1.0 software.

Both detectors needed the software upgrade, one needed a pod and coil replaced.

Both of the new detectors work MUCH better than the old ones, with regular targets in the 6-8 inch range. This is quite nice, I must say. And this is without even doing anything other than tuning RxGain in Coin jewelry...turn on and goooo!

I just think we should make sure that you are looking at my detectors? Both were sent in weeks ago and have already been replaced.

Tater

As I was testing Tater's V3 this morning, I switched to a program in which depth readings immediately went shallow; that is, a 4" quarter read 2" deep. I found that TX Boost was turned ON in that program, and turning it OFF restored the correct depth reading. In reviewing the depth readout complaints, I think most of your are indeed running with TX Boost turned ON. So I think it's fair to say that V3 is not compensating the depth readout for TX Boost, and you will need to add ~2" to the readout value.

Interestingly, Tater was seeing shallow targets (1") read deeper (5"), so I still need to take this unit out and field test it. There may be something else going on.

While I'm addressing this, I should explain the difference between depth readings in search & pinpoint. In search mode, target signals are run through several stages of motion filters. The signal is substantially altered in a way that depends on sweep speed, so depth is a guess at best. In pinpoint mode, target signals are "raw" and unfiltered, so depth is a bit easier to calculate, but can still depend on things like mineralization, ground balance, and coin angle.

- Carl

I would say that if I am incorrectly using this machine then I am really dumb and I am sorry for the commotion but , I would like to say that when I had the second machine delivered to me that machine was spot on. I was banging the ground and getting silver , indians and buffalos until it started to get eractic that blew my day and each one of the targets were on the money with the pinpointing. I knew right away that it was a keeper from the depth read out ,I was amazed until it gave up.When I called that day to whites I mention all the good stuff the machine was producing , I was so happy to have something like this that was giving me deep hits, but also I was very dissapointed that it happened that day

I really don't think anyone is incorrectly using the V, but something is causing some machines to act up while not others. If we can find some setting or adjustment that is in common, we might be able to help White's and ourselves out. Do you remember making any changes right before it started acting up? Were you using Boost ON? Have you tried restoring your program back to factory?

Thanks carl.ILL would like that very much,How would we go about doing this?????I really love the detector like i stated i have own 6 whites detectors and loved every one of them,Two of them the DFX i new for sure the 10"DD was bad because i put a friend of mine 10"DD on and the detector ran fine,I did not know the coils could be fixed so i trash it{ MY BAD...}....