Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PINPOINTING PROBLEM

Larry
I have tried to lower the gain, all metal and disc ,I used the boost on and I used it off, I went back and reset the machine to factory spec's when I pinpointed I would move to the side pinpoint go up and down pinpoint, But when detecting it would just not give me any indication of a deep hit all would sound like the target was on the top never any good indication of a deep hit, it always felt like everything was on top pinpointing was not correct , target at 2" would be at top 0 and sometime at 4" always confusion but like I said before running with one frequency would give me a better indication on depth so if Im running with three frequencies the machine is confused even with boost on or off

Hello Redbird:

Are you ever getting targets beyond about 6"? Of curse, in some ground/places there woudn't be many deep targets at all. However, sometimes, like at the beach or in sandy ground its more likely. With my theoretical V3 problem, I just never ever saw deep targets regardless of how I tuned, despite having seen so many in the same areas with the MXT. I sometimes used TX boost, sometimes not.

Of course, now Carl is actually going to hunt with my old machine. Talk about getting to the heart of the matter! Probably its that I'm just an idiot, he says he'll be diplomatic about it. :)

Taterhead

The only targets that would be at a deep range would be the cans and pipe ,but I knew more or less cause they would register 0 but like I said before the 2nd machine was spot on until it just got erratic. But experiencing all whites machines they were dead on you knew of a good target sound and visual depth reading.This one I have now is very confusing I have to dig all zero's and take a chance The machine is very stable no chatter noise smooth but I wonder if its really using its full potential . Max adjustments made like mention above, when it would chatter I would start to lower one at a time but it did not take much to calm down, it ran very hot according to the numbers ground here is very good it does not take much to GB

I am having a depth problem (Don't use X Boost) I have had my detector read both ways--Read 2 in. target is 5-6 In. Or Read 5 in and the target is 2-3 in---I have got to the point that I try to just dig a deep hole and hope it is going to find it---Another problem is I pin point and then find after I dig a plug the target is to 1 side so I end up digging 2-3 Holes-----------I would like to know if you think it would do any good to take it to sweet home and let Todd take a look at it ? ? ?

Deathwind .. lets wait for carl and larry to determine if it is a true problem it could be just a minor adjustment. I will keep trying this weekend and will try to see if I go head to head with another detectorist and see if his readings match mine, I need to know exactly if I should send this one back believe me I don't want to send it back knowing it could be something simple to adjust

If your depth readings are off both deep and shallow, my guess is nothing is wrong and there just might be something else nearby that the coil is reading along with the target.

I have try that with know luck,IM really to the point where i dont want to use the detector,I dont want to do any more to it and it drives me nuts,The depth will help in not digging so much trash,If you could sent me another V3 and ill send mine in that would be a ok with me,I know there is something wrong with the detector....

Thanks for your help in this matter taterhead,The more people that speak up the more whites will know what is going on with the v3,,,.....

The one thing that i want to say is thanks to all for the help in this matter,Whites brand has been around for a long time and they are here to stay i have know dough they will get this problem fix for me,Carl has sent me a pm saying he will send me another detector out,I think this is the write thing to do now...I have try it all different coils different spots and drove my wife nuts with digging my yard up for a test site,Just my opinion i think whites should take a good look at the detect6ors that are being sent back we know its not the user to many people are having the same trouble with the depth reading.Thanks Larry and forum,Larry your the man....redbird your top shelf all the way my friend........Ill keep you guys posted on this matter....AND YES!!!!!I still love my whites detector......

Larry and Redbird:

My partner and I have access to two Vs. Is there anything that I we do to help with you and redbird figure something out? We can do some pinpoint and search depths in the air in stock programs or on fairly neutral ground if it would help.

Tater

If the coin is on edge you will pinpoint one place and find nothing ,then it will pinpoint in another place, When this happens ,I dig between the two holes and usually find the coin there on edge.when a coin is on edge it don't give a proper depth reading.

Ed

Hi guys in Louisiana the ground here has very little minerals i did some test in my yard today and the depth is off by 3 1/2 to 4 inches ,I used a nickel put it on its side and the reading was the same even when i put the nickel flat i just dont under stand i pull out my 275.00 detector 505 and the depth was on time there is something wrong with the way the detector is getting the signal back from the coil maybe its week i dont know,I hope i can get Carl to send me another v3 and ill send mine in,I dont even want this v3 back im ready for a change out,Maybe its just a few of them,I remember the excal 2 when they first came out they had trouble with the coils in a few months mine lab came out with a fix im sure its not all v3 s my friends V3 does have the same problem but know where as bad as mine,His is off maybe by a inch witch is not so bad,Im going to call whites in the morning and see what we can do as getting the detector switch out,With a new product there will be gliches here and there and that can be under stood.....At least i think so.....

Exploreman - Thats pretty cool, and it makes sense that a coin on its edge will pinpoint in the wrong place. In the analyze mode you can also have a shot at identifying if your target is a coin on edge because i find that the wave shows a dip on one side and a hump on the other and then switches when you sweep the other way. Based on the few non-scientific tests I've done the size of the "down" portion hump shows the degree of tilt, and a perfect 90 degree sideways coin swept at 90 degrees to the edge of the coin will show a perfect ratio between the "down" and "up" side. With some thought we could probably figure out whether the pinpoint would be "off" to the right or to the left based on which side was the "dip" and which side was the "hump". My brain can't figure out which this early in the morning, but you might dig a plug that is to the side of or includes more territory on the "high" end of the hump?

Carl - As I was reviewing another forum I found something that might help you when you look at my machine. It tracked Constantly, as in every couple of seconds. I didn't pay this much attention and removed it from the screen much of the time because it was distracting and I was focusing on other problems. I hunted in 10 high and band mostly, but sometimes moved into higher and lower filters when trying to optomize for different sweep speeds/trash volumes. My soil at home can be pretty mineralized, and I don't recall if the tracking changed that much when I traveled. I am sorry I just didn't pay it that much attention. Maybe this will help you? Maybe this could have impacted depth that the machine was achieving/percieving somehow?

Then again, it could be all me. I just don't know. I will look at tracking on my new machine when I get home from this trip, but I am living in a different area for awhile so I won't be able to compare it directly in my favorite hunting areas.

Tater

Thanks Carl for all your help,I cant wait to get the new V3 and off hunting!!!!!!

LS way to go with the response ... For me only larry cares about my situation,
Anyway Thank you larry for being there

Hi Redbird - I second what Anne says. In the multiple times I've called Whites about all 3 of the detectors I've worked with, and I have always spoken with a person. Very few times have I ever even had to wait for a call back, and in those cases, they always called back. Plus, your forum friends, care, too!

You know what else I figured out about whites? I'm a wordy/chatty person by nature, you can tell by my posts. But when I call Whites NOBODY has ever tried to cut me off, acted too busy, or was even the person to end the conversation. They are patient, attentive, and they care. Good customer service isn't just about providing replacement parts!

Call Whites and you will be helped, taken care of, given good advice, and given the benefit of the doubt.

Taterhead.

1) You mentioned that your machine became erratic.
1a) What does erratic mean exactly?
1b) Is that all the time? Or only near certain areas?
1c) Is it only when you have your settings cranked up, or all the time?
1d) Do you have a coil cover on your loop?
1e) Have you tried other coils or just the one?

2) When you have depth display discrepancies:
2a) Is it only in search mode? Or does pinpoint show wrong depth too? (or did I misread and your depth is good now, but the problem is in 1)?
2b) Is Tx Boost on or off?

(You said that you had depth problems in an earlier post and addressed the boost and pinpoint questions, but I don't know if that was your earlier machine or your new one, so just getting clarification).

Depth display while in search mode is a guess. It is influenced by filters, your sweep speed, ... so is only a guide. It is not accurate. But if pinpoint is giving significant depth errors, then that's a concern. If you have Tx Boost on, it will report depths to be 1-2" shallower than they really are.

I have to say i care redbird you help me in getting started with the post,I called whites and they help me with out hesitation ,but i did give a lot of info on my detector,
What is was doing how often it was doing it try every thing i could do,I put a friends 10"DD coil on to see if that would help nothing would work,In the end whites trusted me enough to send me out a new detector on my word,WOW thats unbelievable ,Most company's once they get so big they only care about the dollar not Whites and we know they or one of the biggest detector dealers out there,Give them a call my friend and i know in my heart you will be helped....Let me know what happens redbird i gave you my cell Give me a call.........:whites:
'