Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MY DAD AND A BIT OF FAMILY HISTORY I"M PROUD TO SHARE!! .........all fine family stories by Cupajo combined........

Great story! My Grandmother on my Mom's side also called a bicycle a "wheel".
Tom

I forgot to mention that this was the last time Dad and I went fishing together; of course making the day even more special.

It has occurred to me that there are few left today that even know there was a Spanish American War!

Of course the post is about Grampa, not the war. and how his being sensible and money-wise, helped him miss that golden opportunity!

Cupajo

most of us and our parents etc grew up with naturally acquired immunity, the old "eat a bushel of dirt" in your life bit, and we know what is in dirt:biggrin:

n/t

Years ago a study was done to compute the odds of driving 5 miles to work each day and returning home at days end unharmed and the findings were enough to put the researchers in shock, because none of them were likely to arrive home alive based on the statistics!.

If people allowed their lives to be ruled by statistics or what may happen and had no faith that they would get to the end of the day safely, then their lives would not have much peace or joy. The researchers tossed their findings as being of no value, because they couldn't compute the influence of the "human element" and "faith" in their study.

Each of us rides around the roadways feeling safe in our cars, having faith that they are mechanically sound and rarely, if ever have that faith disturbed by some failure of the vehicle. This faith isn't something we are aware of, but is is there just the same. We have faith that when we eat at a restraint, our food will be wholesome and tasty, and again, rarely are we wrong in our having trusted that we would have a good healthful meal.

Faith is a large and important part of our every day lives and most of us don't even know it, because it is accepted on the level of awareness beneath our thoughts.

Those of us that have realized this truth are grateful and live richer lives because of that realization.

My very best wishes to you all my friends,

Cupajo

PS I realize I have stepped away from the topic a bit, but I felt the need to share this information with you.

Recently, during a cold snowy day here on the Connecticut shore, I sat musing at my computer, over those years long ago when I was out of school. It occurred to me I had to be 17 years old that year. The next year I joined the USAF at 18 and left home except for short visits thereafter.

That summer was one of freedom and rambling around the area, chasing Dad

my granddad would sell sandwiches to make a few dollars at the chickenfights in the 20's and 30's.my dads cousin's dad raised game chickens and conditioned them for other people.there was a wealthy doctor in dallas he raised them for,they named a road for him,bruton.when i went to school my sophmore year in the small town of teague they had a pool room and a 10 foot snooker table,we would go there at lunch and play.

the kid i shot snooker with,his dad was involved in chicken fights.my dad liked them to gamble on.either that or moon.i went to one chicken fight when my dad was in the USAF,it was when we were in puerto rico,i just remember people hootin' and hollerin' once they pitted the birds,of course they were doing this in spanish:).when i was in high school my dad drove up to henrietta oklahoma where they were still legal,don'y know if they still are or not.

feel sorry for the poor roosters. Strange what some people call entertainment, and what they will do for money! We all have little blips of memory from our childhoods that we don't recall or understand until years later! Some good, so not so good! :)

when stationed at Cherry Point NC.

We were in the slopshute, the Marines name for the little eatery in our PX and there was a guy making Hamburgers. He was at the grill and he had a huge pile of hamburger on the counter next to the grill. He would grab a hand full and make a patty by patting it out in his hands, no sanitary gloves for the Marines, and throwing them on the grill. We were in line waiting for our burger.

I was standing there waiting with the rest and the guy making the patties was quick.

Well it was a hot day and there were flys around, a lot of flys actually. They were buzzing that big pile of burger but no problem! I saw a couple flys land and it grossed me a bit. The patty maker hardly missed a beat. He grabbed a fly swatter laying on the counter and Waaack! Got two at once right on the pile of burger and he deftly flipped them off with the swatter and continued making the patties like nothing had happened. That is enough to gag a maggot!

I didn't have burgers that day

then I would never have anything to do with anyone that hurt an animal for fun. Just don't make sense to me.

I guess it is where and when you were brought up but I sorta judge a person by the way they treat animals. I can not imagine wanting to see such an event but that is just me.

The story was interesting though as I know little about it

ehem fight throwing them at each other, until one kills the other. Very inhuman, and now I see where they have just passed a bill for animal cruelty and a person can up to 6 years in prison. I think the cock fighting was a thing of the past for the most part, but still not something one would like to witness! :(

A fisherman can very easily find himself stranded in a boat with no power, or perhaps swamped by large swells that overpower an outboard motor that is too small for the load it is moving. A couple of times I have been forced to paddle home in mild weather after loosing power. One time I was over a mile off shore and the other only a hundred yards or so. Both times the wind, weather, and tides were in my favor. The fishing / boating Gods smiled down of this poor foolish man.

Three friends and I, all teens, were motoring back from Oyster Lake across part of the Matagorda Bay to Palacios with a 15ft long boat loaded with oysters. The wind was heavy out of the south and we were only an engine hick-up from being swamped! We made it safely, but lf I had only known then, what I know now!!!!

Uncle Drew and Dad were on a fishing trip to the Matagorda Peninsula and saw the weather beginning to turn cold and seas rough with moderately high winds. They crossed the inter-coastal canal heading back to Palacios where they launched. The outboard motor quit just after they passed Oyster Point near Oyster Bay. They managed to find shelter under the bridge that crosses the inlet to the lake. They kept from freezing by making smudge pots out of coffee cans filled with sand and gasoline and hovering over them while wrapped in the blankets they used for camping. The oil in the gasoline used for the outboard smudged their faces black, but they kept from dying of exposure. They found a phone and called home for help the next morning after spending a night they would never forget.

Uncle Drew, Dad, my cousin

Bull fights, dog fights, cock fights, bear baiting, Siamese fish fights, soccer games, boxing matches, mixed martial arts matches (kick-boxing), foot ball games and many of the foolish TV programs about extreme sports, appeal to the animal in many of us. When we are able to rise above this part of ourselves we are on the right road to inner growth and spiritual insight.

Cupajo

PS I almost forgot the carnage we can see every night on the world news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

includes baseball and football:thumbup: