Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MY DAD AND A BIT OF FAMILY HISTORY I"M PROUD TO SHARE!! .........all fine family stories by Cupajo combined........

Uncle Drew was a solitary man. The youngest of four, he was the nearest to me in age. He never married and when I asked about that he replied that he had never been as lucky as his brother, my dad, in finding a good woman. Uncle usually had a dog or two and loved hunting squirrels and fishing.

Right after graduating high school, Uncle Drew Joined the Army Artillery Corps and ended up fighting in the Pacific. He never offered any information about his war experiences and I never asked about them. He suffered hearing problems for the rest of his life due to being exposed to artillery blasts.

He was always clean shaven and wasn

n/t

Hi Mikie,

The childhood was far from idyllic, however when I grew up I found I could return for visits and "fit in" pretty well. I was in my early twenties when the above incident occurred and as I recall it was the first time Uncle had decided I was enough of an equal to share his time in this way. Before this I was just a kid to be tolerated or not depending on the mood of the day and how much alcohol was involved. Being an observant child, able to watch and learn, helped me to know enough by this time that I was able to be less of a burden and more welcome to share in the outings.

Regards,

Cupajo

and not a burden was the way i also got to accompany the men when i was a pup.
We had a reprobate shirttail relation who was a "hired man",( never quite sure of that cause we sure couldn't afford to hire anyone) who also had no patience for kids but actually had a heart of gold. I learned much from him whether he liked it or not, which i suspect he did :biggrin:

they would not take him because of a short arm. He fell out of a tree when he was a kid and my grand parents didn't take him to a doc and it grew crooked.

He was not what I recall a loving person.

Only as an adult can I appreciate what I experienced as a youngster growing up. Only now do those stories seem worth telling!!

Best to Ya All,

Cupajo

While reading this piece, you will notice that from time to time I have stepped into what I perceived as my Dad's thought processes. You could almost hear those same old gears grinding every time he dreamed up another "big one"!

My dad was a man of vision. He had more ways of making money than there was money to be made. In every one of his schemes there were three things you could count on, the money maker was somehow treading into that shady area just outside the law, He would do none of the work and would pocket all the proceeds, (it was his idea

n/t

n/t

I watched as my father drank myself to death as I turned 18. I loved him but never trusted him, he always seemed to find away to start trouble with the ones he loved the most. I set my life not to be a drunk and show my kids that I loved them and earned they trust and respect, the things I never knew from my dad. Don't get me wrong he was a good man when he was sober, but the first drink and the worst is all it brought out in him. As I have grow older I can see he could never let things from his past go.

she was talking about laundry day. It was a horrible chore for the women folk. One day her father brought home a washing machine, she had never heard of such a thing.

It had a gasoline engine on it and my mother said it was very noisy and they had to run the exhaust out the kitchen window, it still stunk up the house. She didn't care as it saved them a lot of work, they loved it.

I have seen them at Fords Greenfield Village but my mother had a wringer washer when I was a kid. She would work all week in the factory and then every saturday she had that old washer a running and hung her cloths on the line.

I remember the days

Those old washing machine engines were often used to power bicycles! I had a cousin that put one on his old, big balloon tired bike and nearly scared to death every cow and horse in the community!

Cupajo

How could we manage today without the kids all having their own bedroom, indoor plumbing and mental therapy for all of the world's ills???
We all managed to get here in one piece without a lot of this luxury and I sometimes think we were closer knit for it. Houses today are so big that it's hard to find another member of the family, let alone do something together, talk, play a game, do a chore, whatever.
Times were tougher but were they really any worse?

Thanks for sharing the story,

Eric

On one of my rare visits home to visit Mom and Dad, the weather was beautiful. Dad and I agreed that it was too nice not to put out a trotline, so we loaded up the fishing gear and headed to a local irrigation canal for some freshwater mullet to use as bait. I caught enough with the cast net for cut-bait to set one trotline.

As I carried the 5 gallon pail of bait fish to the car, I saw Dad take a small bass fishing rod out and poke around in a tackle box for a

My Grandfather was a Spanish American War Vet. After the war he settled in the Sand Hill area of Texas near Lochart to do a little dry land farming. Corn, watermelons and sometimes cotton were the main crops along with a few head of livestock.

He owned a few old rent houses that eked out a small income and over the years slowly reduced his holdings down to just owning the rentals. He was well liked in the community and was seen as a kind soul.

A man came to him one day an asked if he might consider trading his rent houses for a large piece of land near Luling, Texas. Grampa told him that the land was worthless, because it was so rocky and dry that you couldn