Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MY DAD AND A BIT OF FAMILY HISTORY I"M PROUD TO SHARE!! .........all fine family stories by Cupajo combined........

I hope that these bring back some great memories for you! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 114776 Gonzales_42-23-08.jpg]

[attachment 114777 Gonzales_52-23-08.jpg]

[attachment 114778 Gonzales_82-23-08.jpg]

[attachment 114779 Gonzales_62-23-08.jpg]

[attachment 114780 Gonzales_22-23-08.jpg]

[attachment 114781 Gonzales_102-23-08.jpg]

my dad was short and had a bad temper too.my granddad was a loom fixer in cotton mills from sherman to west, itasca to waco and hillsboro,where the money was best.my dad was a doffer,and i think my grandmother worked in the card room.my aunts worked the mills to but i don't know what their jobs were.

i don't think there are any cotton mills left in texas,they did have a big denim mill in the panhandle and in the 70's there was one left in new braunfels but i think automation had taken over then.

Well my friends you have stirred up a few memories for me too.

Kelly it's been a long time since I was in Gonzales. Those are fine photos of landmarks I know well.

I spent many an enjoyable hour in the Lynn theater. My dad used to shoot dice with Lynn Smith Jr., the son of the owner. At least that's how I remember it.

Many thanks gents,

Cupajo

My dad spent one or two nights in the Gonzales jail for being drunk and cutting a guy that he called a crazy hippie. The reason dad pulled a knife on him was that they got into an argument about one thing or another and the "hippie" bit him on the arm and wouldn't let go. I saw the nasty bite mark and in his shoes I might have done the same thing. At this time in his life dad was not as strong as he had been only a few years earlier and couldn't manhandle the hippie, so he felt that it was self defence. The man only needed a few stitches so I was told and didn't even spend time in the hospital.

Those nights in the jail were the worst he had ever experienced anywhere and dad wasn't about to go there again. Shortly after that the jail was rated by a national magazine as the second worse jail in the nation! As usual alcohol played a major part in the incident.

feelings to himself, or maybe he was a bit ashamed of himself for not helping your mother more. My hat is off to her..........she did what she could to keep you all together, and have food on the table! :)

Those were tough times and the people had to be also. I'm the same age as you and it seems like all the old timers I knew were hard as nails if it was required, and gentlemen if you let them be. My Dad was a hard guy to get to know also. His parents passed on when he was aged 12 nad 15. So all 8 kids took care of each other. they didn't want to loose the farm so the older sister married so they could then remain there. Much of your story with your Dad could be with mine. Seldom a pat on the back, but on occasion to someone else. Later in life he did the 12 step program but we still never were able to have our talk. We finally had a talk about a month before he died. I'm glad we did. I miss him.

For sure if you had those weapons from the war they would be worth a pretty dollar today. I remember seeing alot of the guys that returned after the war with different guys etc, they collected will overseas. What ever they when trhough, they sure build up one heck of a country here when they got back.

Good post.

George-CT

My father was born in Beaumont, Texas... left when he was two. He joined up in 1939.. stuck it out for the whole war. He was a commando [a fact I did not know until, after his death] I still have his Fairbairn Sykes knife. I also have a Walther PPK that he 'acquired' from a German soldier. { I am certain it was not given up willingly]. It has the swastika, etc all over it.

Calm seas

Micheal

Hi Gang,

What a wonderful response!!

Dad and I resolved whatever "stuff" we had between us toward the end of his life. He had slowed down his wild ways and was able to somewhat enjoy life in more acceptable ways.

He was still victim of the mindset established in his childhood by the relationship he and his father had. My dad's older sister told my older sister that my Grampa was unable to love my father as his son. It seems that my great great uncle (Grampa's brother) and my gramma were a long time "item", as they used to say. The relationship ended and the great uncle married another. Grampa seems to have gotten gramma by default. He dearly loved her until the day she died of cancer a year or so after she helped bring me into the world. She bore him 2-sons and 2-daughters.

Grampa however, was cold and distant with his oldest son, my father, because he was convinced my father was his brothers son! My father spent his entire life trying to gain the acceptance and love of his father and as far as i know was never aware of the underlying dark dynamic that caused his suffering. My dad and I could have had a different relationship if I had known of these things while he was alive. Too bad I only learned of his dark burden after he died.

I can remember things he did that told me he was a kind and generous soul when and where it mattered. When alcohol came into the picture though as it did all too often, the demons were loosed from the hell he was carrying inside.

Ever wonder where soap opera stories come from??

Cupajo

PS My dad would have hurt me bad (as in killed) me for telling this story and some of you may feel that I shouldn't have told it. but now I can tell one and all without any hesitation, that I know I would not be the man I am without learning what I learned because my father was in my life. I'll always love him, especially for that.

It was recognized that dad was probably a good hunter and he was asked to see if he could find and bring back one of the local deer for a change of diet from the usual fare.

Dad made his way into the forest and managed to locate and kill two deer very near one another. He field dressed the two and (this breed of German deer is fairly small) throwing one on his shoulders headed back to camp. He told the men to cook it and he would go bring the other one in. Dad said that he couldn

of my own family and growing up with few or no conveniences. For several months of the year our outhouse sat in below zero temperatures so you had to really need to go:biggrin:
It appears that although he had his problems in a different age when little help was available, your Dad still managed to instill more than enough ability and empathy into you!:thumbup:

Hi Wayne,

I,ve given my dad's influence on me a lot of thought over the years and have decided he mostly taught me what not to do by his example and poor, long suffering mom taught me what to do by hers!

Mom was polar opposite from dad in virtually every way, but somehow they found common ground and also a way to compensate for one another's shortcomings.

It wasn't the best of marriages, but it lasted a long time and produced 4 of us still somehow coping in this modern world. If they were still around I, believe they would both be proud. In fact I am sure that somewhere they are!

Cupajo

PS I've been musing over the possible title for a book, "Outhouse Memories", what do you think?

Here it is. This was issued to the commandos upon 'graduation' from Achnacarry, Scotland. The Tex in script is inscribed since he was born in Texas.

[attachment 114812 fairbairn-sykes1.jpg]

Fair winds

Micheal

Hey Michael,

That is a beauty!
I'm sure there are some interesting tales it could tell or perhaps you might share.

Best to Ya,

Cupajo

Like you, we had our problems in life. And, like you, luckily, we managed to reconcile a few months before his death. It was very interesting how I found out about his war record..... since he never talked about it. I found out about his record from one of his commando mates. I think somewhere back in the archives, the story must exist.

Love your stories.

Fair winds

Micheal

Records, containing every single document from when he enlisted in 1924 till he retired in 1951! From the records, i know every Station / Duty he was at, what vessels he was on, Beneficiary's, including who, and what their address was! His Ranks, when /where/ what training he had etc. Absolutely priceless! By the way, NICE Commando Knife!! I have seen a couple of real ones before, but yours has to be priceless, knowing it was your Dads!:thumbup:

It brought back some memories of my raising in rural Mo. Your father was a very interesting man that seemed to have a real zest for life. Seems he did a bit of everything. I really enjoyed this peek into your familys history. Thanks for sharing.

I had his medals .... but those I gave to my sister. The PPK... still have that. It is an interesting weapon up here. A PPK , along with a whole raft of other weapons, [shorter than 4 inch barrel, .32 cal, etc] are classified up here as prohibited. Not licensed, not restricted... but prohibited. This means that a person is , under no circumstances, permitted to own this gun. It is one of those unusual classifications that we have up here.

However, since i have owned it since my father died, I am grandfathered in. So they let me keep it. However, in this classification are a whole raft of other weapons that I am legally permitted to buy. The classification is what they call a 12-6 and a 12-5. So if I want , oh an UZI submachine gun for example..... I am permitted.. Go figure.

I did the records thing up here after my story. The missions that My dad went on are enough to scare anyone. Market Garden.. parachuting into Arnhem. Norway... Heavy water factory disabling.

There are some very good tales. But I am not really certain that he would want these stories told over the web.

Calm seas Ron

Micheal

have the number 2 imprinted on my bottom from all the baths in it, and I was the first to get a bath because I was the only girl. Then when our outdoor plumbing finally got moved inside, I was in the seventh grade, I was the first one to get a real bath. Oh, the memories this story brought back! Great story! :)