Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MY DAD AND A BIT OF FAMILY HISTORY I"M PROUD TO SHARE!! .........all fine family stories by Cupajo combined........

Cupajo

On the Labor Day weekend a couple of years ago, I was sitting back, enjoying my after dinner glass of fermented grape juice. As I watched the goings on of most of my grandkids, I though of the challenges they will be faced with, challenges so different from the ones I faced as a child.

I must say, that I have long had reservations about the upcoming crop and how they will cope or even survive with the lack of

n/t

the next generation manners and lessons of respect, and keep on them about it, Yes they have a chance. TV and video games certainly do not help too much. Too many parents let the TV be a "babysitter" to keep the kids busy, and not be pests. We as grandparents, and the parents , have a tough job ahead , keeping them straight. Make them do their homework, clean their own rooms, make the bed.... My Daughter has three sons, from 6 to almost 11. They can be pests, and whine alot, but Wendy keeps on them, and pays attention to them. Keeps them occupied with sports, Cub Scouts etc. Spends time with them. Has meals ready etc. Yes the three respect her and other adults, although they derail at times! All kids do. Unfortunately, we need to worry about what happens in the schools, and who their friends are etc. I think the teen years are gonna be tough, so i plan on staying close, as is my daughter, to keep them going in the right direction. I am lucky,(i think?) that the kids live less than a mile away.

Fear for the world they will live in. Pride in the way they are being raised and hope for the future.Today, my 6 year old grandson asked me if I had any work he could do to earn $10.00 - with his Christmas money he had recieved he was $10.00 short of having enough money to buy a game he wanted. My first thought was to give him the money. On second thought since it was a warm day I told him if he would rake the leaves in the front yard I would give him the money. My 12 year old grandson was also present and I made him the same offer-which he declined. When I got home from work the yard was as clean as I have ever seen it. The little fellow had worked hard for hours-even had blisters on his hands from the rake. I gave him $20.00 and took him to the store where he bought his game-with money left for his piggy bank. The 12 year old got nothing and was disappointed. I figure both boys got a lesson

I love to assign a job that is appropriate for their age, let them accomplish it, then pay them. A good way to teach about earning by doing, and about how they REALLY want to spend their money. My grandchildren are the loves of my life. They are what keeps me going from day to day. Here is an updated photo taken this past Christmas.

[attachment 114066 Grandchildren-2008.jpg] On the left is Jordan 18, David, 8, Jack 6. I am holding Hanna 1 year and Ali 5 years. On the right is Scott and Ben 10 years old. Our Grandchildren are one of God's ways of making us want to stick around and let them teach us a thing or two. Needless to say, they all have me wrapped around their little fingers, ...........as it should be.

Thanks for the story........and let me know if Emery ever learns to walk on air. I've always wanted to do that myself! :rofl:

You can't really know someone until you know where he came from and I would like for you, my new found friends, to know me better.

The following are stories of people I have known, one of which happens to be my dad. I have never shot a deer or any other creature out of season, but can sympathize with someone that has a family to feed and limited or no resources. Some of these stories I know about first hand and most of them I have heard from family or friends.

My dad was an uncanny marksman with a rifle or a handgun. He had keen vision, excellent reflexes and a steady hand. He grew up in the Sand Hills of Texas during the Great Depression, where at that time hunting and fishing were almost a necessary part of life. Over the years during the late 40

was an avid hunter also, but he did it out of necessity for the most part! All he had to do is tell me it was chicken when I was little. At the beer camp this year, one guy fried up so squirrel, and for some reason it almost made me sick, and I really do not think I can eat it again. I don't know what the problem was! But mother sure knew how to make squirrel and dumplings taste really good. :)

Any story you want to share with us on the forum is welcomed from everyone! Just keep it clean, or almost clean so I don't have to send you to your room! :lol:

My daddy too, on the rare occasion, had to take a 'queens cow'. It got us through some tough times.

Fair winds

Micheal

good of you to make such a fine introduction. Your stories are very real and interesting as well as rib tickling:biggrin:
Make this bunch wait a bit for them, it fun to hear them beg for an ending....or more:lol:

Many Thanks Friends for your kind comments. Wayne-- Make 'em wait? I'm on a roll!!

Cupajo

PS. Sunny, many people don't realize that there are young animals that are tender enough to pan fry and that most of the older, tougher ones should be slow cooked in a stew, with dumplings, or in a pressure cooker. This is especially true of chicken, squirrel, rabbit and bull frogs.

Regards,

Cupajo

I have a real problem when so called hunters jacklight game for a trophy head though.

get all the press. :(

Like they say, "Out of the mouths of babes" :D

Hi Royal,

The rural area where I grew up had it's share of characters that I plan to write about. They were mostly people close to the land and would look down on anyone that would pass up a tender young deer for a rangy old buck with a nice spread of antlers.

Some of them were poachers and in the case of one family 5 or 6 of the sons as well as the father were each feeding their wife and kids with a jacklight and late night hunt with a .22 rifle.

I hope that I can pass on some of the knowledge that has helped me to be much more confident of being able to provide for my family in "this other way" (living close to the earth) if the need ever arises. This will not be a class on how to poach animals, rather it will be stories of what sorts of situations a poacher can find himself caught up in.

Also I will share some of my own experiences of legally hunting bull-frogs, armadillos, and other food.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards to You Friend,

Cupajo

that do indeed know how to survive living off the land, but on the same token many do not have that knowledge and would benefit from reading what you have to say on the subject. I am also confident that some would be more than willing to contribute to this interesting subject...maybe not as colorful as you do because some like myself have never mastered the written word form of communication where as we can not always write a story and hold the forum member spell bound to the last word. On the other hand, your stories do have the tendency of holding folks spell bound and they look forward to your stories...you do great at this! I do not know how indepth you plan on sharing your knowledge, but folks would look forward to reading what you have to say on the subject of living off the land.

Having grown up on a farm, I recognise the fact that many city folks know little about living off the land. Many can not predict the weather by reading the clouds, nor can they look at a deer hoof print and see if it was made by a spike buck, nor do they know why you drop three kernels of corn in each hole at planting time, nor do they know what an animal can tell you if you are willing to listen to them, and goodness knows what else they have never been taught. Yes, I do believe that folks would enjoy reading your stories on living off the land and that some of us would be willing to contribute time permitting. You are a gifted writer and folks look forward to what you have to say...please go for it!

Cupajo, thank you for the stories that you have posted on the Forum...we love reading them and appreciate the time and effort put forth in writing them. You along with some of the other folks on this Forum have the talent of writing stories that are interesting to read. There are many others also posting stories that many love to read...stories written by Wayne, Mike, Royal, Arkie John, Dan are just a few of the many who have posted great stories in the past. As a matter of fact I can not ever remember reading a bad story on this Forum and doubt if I ever will...good folks post here, folks with interesting things to share with their fellow members.

Well, enough of my ramblings...the bike has a full tank of gas, the camera is in one of the saddle bags, and I am leaving for a ride on a few back roads of South Texas. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

n/t