Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

METERS ARE USELESS..STAY WHERE YOU_R_TESORO

He could be the President and CEO of the metal detectors hall of fame. If he missed that much stuff, he is not very proficient with his DFX! No matter how trashy the place is! And if was in your favorite haunts like a tot lot, he had no right to miss them. It's too easy to just dig all signals above iron. I can GUARANTEE you that if you learned the DFX like your Compadre, you would find AT LEAST as much. (Not trying to convince you to change, what you like is what you like)! Your patience and being thorough made the difference. It is not their detector that skunked them. THEY skunked THEMSELVES. I can promise you that.

Seems like they just half attempt finding things when they go out. Or they think they know the signals and tid so well they forget not all good items read good tid

The meter is useful when you don't want to tear up a good lawn or DRAW UNWANTED attention in a park. That's why I have the collection of beepers that I do. Some work wonderful in some areas and some don't. It's 10 deg. here so if it's warmer where you are GO HUNT!!!!!!!!

You are right.

But it has been a lots of folks.

It's just a park.

It's down tha road from me.

I hunt it all tha time.

It took a long time before I could

find anything.

I was just like every body els.

It seemed hunted out and useless.

Then, I found something with my Silver.

That's when I started hunting in earnest.

I agree.

It's not tha detector.

It's tha determination.

I could have done it with any good machine

that I liked to use.

I don't say it's tha detector.

I just like tha detectors I use.

They are not better. Just good. That's all.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Nice finds tabdog.

If it gets warm enough today I'm going to our local park to do some hunting. This park has been hit hard for many years with just about every type of detector, and every skill level, but I do it because I still find goodies. Some missed by less experienced hunters, some missed by detectors of lower quality, and some that have just yet to have conditions right to be found. It always amazes me when you find something that just seems to have been missed by all those hunter and by all those detectors.

Earlier this year me and a buddy was hunting the same area hit many times by other and ourselves. I was trying out my new Minelab SE and I get this solid 00 29 at only 5-6". I had my buddy bring his Eagle Spectrum over to check the signal, which we always do, and the Eagle read a solid 92 at 5". It turned out to be a 1934 walking half. We thought how the heck could everyone had missed this signal that pretty much any detector would have detected? It happens. That is why we still go to these places. Personally, I think a lot of these missed targets aren't so much from poor hunting technique as from a lack of good coverage of past detectors.

Lets face it, the concentric coils used on older detectors are great, but with the really deep targets, unless you overlap an inch at a time, you've got a good chance of missing targets. The new Wide Scan DD coils have great coverage, but less depth. You can cover a small area your very best and often a different coil will find missed goodies. If a site has deep trash then a smaller concentric coil will find what has been missed by others. If a site has shallow trash the a smaller DD coil will find what others have missed. The right tool for the right job can make all the difference, and using the tool correctly. The TID is simply another tool.

Your park sounds a lot like ours. It's been a city park for 125 years and lots of trash. The difference for me was it took the right detector to open my eyes. After hunting this park for years with nothing but a few wheats to show, we figured it had been worked out. When I bought my Eagle Spectrum in 1991 it changed this place forever. It was virgin territory below 6" and for the next 5 years it was dream land. Most of the simple stuff is long gone, with the exception of an occasional surprise like the half mentioned above, and now I'm looking for advancements in technology to strike once again. What is really frustrating is recovered over 2000 old coins from this park since 1991, but only a few gold rings. I've hunted enough of these sites to know there has got to be a boat load of gold waiting to be recovered.

Nice post south Wind.

That is what keeps me goin.

I used to be afrade of goin behind

what I thought were good hunters.

But now I welcome tha oportunity.

Mostly because that's most of what's

out there.

Tha good news is that tha places still

produce.

I was blessed with tot lots that were

not hunted very well for a long time,

maybe never.

For about 8 or 9 months I scored gold

often. But now I have hunted almost every

tot lot within reasonable drivin distance.

So my finds are slowing down. But tha

things I learned are helping me expand

my hunting abilities.

I still find gold, but just a slower rate.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Well, I do have to thank you Tabdog. I never really hunted the tot lots much until I saw your finds. Also, we use to have a city parks worker that would hammer them as well. He moved, but people still hit the tot lots hard around here. I started to as well, and finally found my first gold ring a week ago. A little 14 karat, but at least it is gold! Right under the slide where the pile of chips build up. A solid 25 on my VDI. I hunt outside the lots and have found lots of quarters, telling me that most of my competition hits the chips or sand, then leaves. I dig everything above iron in the tot lots, it gives me good practice with my DFX. If it says its junk, it always is. If it says good signal and VDI, it is usually either a small compressed piece of can slaw, or junk jewelry. The hing that kills me most is the tot lots I think should be big producers, I find little. The out of the way, "nothing;s gonna be here" tot lots, I find stuff! I guess my competition does not hit those???? Anyway, good hunting guys!

When I go with others, I like going behind them if they are getting some finds. You know they miss when they don't overlap the coil sweeps and go too fast. Also, some will not sweep keeping the coil to the ground, and at the end of each sweep, they sweep the coil up in the air.
They say I'm the slow one - I work slow and carefully overlap my sweeps. I'm in no hurry and would rather be slow and take my time. It don't take long and I'm left far behind. Lots of times when they look behind to see if I'm still kicking, I'm usually busy on the ground digging selective targets they miss. I like doing that - they just don't slow down and act like it's a race. I won't enter their race, just take it at a slow pace to cover much less ground but a little more carefully.

There is generally 3 of us that hunt on a regular basis and while when we hunt a new yard its resembles horses out of the starting gate, we seem to do a pretty good job at a fast pace. After we quickly ransack our own areas, we then go back over each others areas in hopes of that missed goodies. If you can find a missed goodies it gives you bragging rights and we poke fun at that person the rest of the day. I'm a bit surprised that its only happened twice this year, and never to me, but that tells me you can be quite thrall even at a fast pace when you know how to use your detector.

I've even gone back to the places that produced some great finds very deep with my GT, and gone very slow digging anything questionable, and still find we cleaned things out the first time. After doing this many times you start to see that modern detector technology does a great job. You could never clean a site out so quick with the older machines. I think the DD coils play a big role in this by covering what used to take 3-4 swings in a single swing.

n/t

I like tha interaction.

I love every body here.

I don't care what cha

swing.

I got mine. I like mine.

<>RIGHT'S RIGHT<>

That's my stand.

I love all tha detectors.

HH,

Tabdog

[size=medium]What's a GOOD metered detector?

Ever body ain't got a grand ta drop

on a hobby. Plus $175 on head-

phones. $175 on a pin pointer.

$60 on a digger. $150 on extra

coil. $100 on a camera. And

there will surely be more.

There's two grand. Just one machine

and tha odds are, it's tha wrong machine!!!!!!:rage:

Lots of folks just drop out at that point.........:sad:

My $70 Compadre is bringin in tha bulk

of my bread & butter.:cool:

There's not a machine out there that is

more fun ta learn and hunt with.:detecting:

Why put all those bells and whistles in

tha way of tryin to learn tha hobby....:nerd:

Proof's in tha puddin, and sown in

tha past.

Tha Compader's still here.:detecting:

How many can say that after so many

years...........:shrug:[/size]

I believe both sides have valid points. It's been my understanding that most detectors use the same source for both audio and visual output. If this is the case, then neither audio or visual would be more accurate. That is to say someone experienced in using the audio signal would have no more advantage than someone experienced in using the visual signal. That iffy signal would give he same information to both audio and visual, and it would be up to the experience of the user to determine whats being said by the detector. It just seems to me that a new user would be able to understand what to look for in a good bad target than to understand what to listen for. A good bad target being one of those that doesn't sound that good or doesn't visually look good, but because of some little difference, tells you to dig.

I rely more on intuition. I've had those signals that sound like crap and look like crap but something tells me to dig. I dig and find some thing good and then think about the other signals I've passed up that sounded the same. I go back and the next 100 I dig that sounded the same are crap. Now I trust my feelings when all else fails.

[size=medium]Tha reason I take that stand is simply because

it's 90% tha person and 10% tha machines.

Tesoro'es are cheep, but with good product.

If a person decides to quit, they're not out

much.

If they decide to continue, thay have a machine

that is a good addition to their collection and

will probably just jeep it and get another.

But this time they are armed with tha knowledge

of what may be a better choice.

They don't have to blow two grand in tha dark.

Lot's of folks don't have two grand ta gamble

with. Or shouldn't anyway. But that's just my

opinion.

HH,

Tabdog[/size]

With Three Thousand, three hundred and seventy six posts in a year, you express your opinions well!!!!!!!!!!!

How many detectors do you have Tabdog? I bet by now you have a grand in detectors, or very close to it. An MXT is an example of a good metered detector. Now if you mostly hit tot lots and dig everything, a Compadre is idea! You are very lucky to have such well producing, seldom detected tot lots. Here, the competition is fierce! There are a couple here that I hit about every week just to hopefully find a keeper! Its all about location location location!

Just my opinion.