Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

METERS ARE USELESS..STAY WHERE YOU_R_TESORO

Three out of five of my detectors have meters. I use two of my detectors to find bullets and casings at crime scenes. Bullets these days are made of different alloys of lead, copper, and brass. Having a meter with an ability to assign a particular number or location on a graph, to a specific target by programming the detector with a specific bullet type prior to hunting the site saves a lot of time. I could find the bullets using sound only, but I would have to dig virtually every target above a certain level of discrimination.

I use a Lobo ST for coin shooting as well as gold prospecting, and have found some mighty nice silver with it. The first detector I owned was a Whites 4900 D. I found several silver dollars with that old detector, and sometimes wish I still had it. I agree that meters are not always needed, and that conditions dictate the type of detector to use. I have a Toltec II that is a great cherry picker, especially with the 4" coil. I don't care whether Tesoro built it just to fill a "fad" gap in the market. I like it. It finds treasure, as have all of the detectors I have used over the years. The older I get, the harder it is to stand and squat, stand and squat. With the advances in technology, I don't have to work as hard to get the same number of finds. Since I don't always trust my ability to set up some of these newer models (such as the X70 I recently bought), I double check my targets by using the trowel as the discriminator. It is, after all, the ultimate discrimination tool. If we all had the same likes and dislikes, we would all be using the same machines, eating the same foods, watching the same programs, having the same jobs, etc. Having a choice makes life a little more interesting...

I can't understand why something as simple as a two-tone ID on the Tesoro's wouldn't work. All you would need is a width control knob to get the two tones to mix at tabs. This setup is on my Royal Sabre and, of course, is the basis of the Bounty Hunter Tracker. It doesn't affect the depth, and is still a beep-dig machine that just automatically gives tonal info if needed. It's one reason why I'll never sell my Royal Sabre. And the regular disc control can still be set at minimum disc or higher. If my Royal was ED-120, I wouldn't even care whether they made one or not, but it is at about bottlecap reject.

Weel...

In a post above I wrote that meter were useless, considering the saying "DIG'EM ALL". Indeed, if you dig them all, why look at a display.

I quite agree with meters being helpful In trashy areas, but in this case, a good disc and a small coil will do a better job.

To show you meter can cheat you a lot of good finds, please take a look at the pic.

They are all gold rings, and you can see how they read on my BH QDII display...

So, yes, meters are a superb innovation in MDetectors, but older searcher like me might prefer audio/knob disc. The pic speaks for itself.

HH

Nick the Belgian.

For me, as a user, absolutely does not matter, but from point of a dealer it is easier, for example to sell detectors with meter to the begginers. Detector like Garrett Ace 150/250 or Fisher F2/F4 will have more appeal to them, than Compadre or Silver uMAX, despite the fact that they are better detectors.

Nick,

When you are talking about a low end metered model like a Bounty Hunter, the meters are not really that good. So I would agree that on lower priced models, your beep and digs will probably do a better job. Now take a DFX for example, I bet that every target except maybe the largest one would have been in the dig it category. You can't say meters are useless if you are judging them by the meter on a Bounty Hunter. You may have a different opinion with a higher end Fisher, Minelab,Whites, Garrett, etc.

ZincolnDigr said:
Nick,

When you are talking about a low end metered model like a Bounty Hunter, the meters are not really that good. So I would agree that on lower priced models, your beep and digs will probably do a better job. Now take a DFX for example, I bet that every target except maybe the largest one would have been in the dig it category. You can't say meters are useless if you are judging them by the meter on a Bounty Hunter. You may have a different opinion with a higher end Fisher, Minelab,Whites, Garrett, etc.

Don't misunderstand me : I do agree with you. I myself have had several digital MD's. For instance, the ring reading under Screw cap was found with my XLT (out of service since : very high mileage) .Plus I'm still using a Minelab Quattro when I feel good enough to manoeuvre this HEAVY thing !

But let's put it another way : I keep statistics of all my outings : date, place, finds, used detector, etc.

Well, the most gold finds come from NON metered detectors.In this case, it has probably to make with me not wanting to dig trash signals when using metered units. When I use a non metered one, I dig every signal. The most astounding finds I ever made came this way...

With a digital MD, I tend to get lazy and to "cherry pick" instead of digging every target

As far as tesoro is concerned, I just think from what I read on many forums, that the analog models are superior to the digital ones.

Again, this is of course a matter of personal preferences : Coming from a cheap digital first detector, the upgrading hobbyist would maybe look closer to De Leon or Cortes models.

Later, and this is also a general trend here in Europe, experienced detectorists will consider analog, non metered detectors, a decision that is no longer influenced by a digital display but rather by the used frequencies, the recovery speed, the GB system, and so on.

A rage in Europe at the time are XP metal detectors. They sell like candies on Halloween day. They have astounding performance, some models Audio ID, reach unknown depths and have....no meters.

A Tesoro MD very close, if not equal to those is the Tejon.

Well, that was it.

Glad to share thoughts.

Nick

I could find the bullets using sound only, but I would have to
dig virtually every target above a certain level of discrimination.

Not me.

Once I dig a target, I can ID that kind of target.

I can air test a bullet and hunt only those.

I only use single tone Tesoro'es.

It just takes practice, that's all.

I can tell depth also.

I can tell size also.

Coins on edge sound better to me than the

ones laying flat.

I like gold in all sizes.

Try notch-in that. You'll only notch some out,

or you'll win a grand prize for sure.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Hay Sling Shot,

My Euro Sabre has two tones.

They are not adjustable, but I really like

where it's at.

I can make it just one tone and it is like

an Eldorado.

I can trun off tha lower tone and get bigger

foil and above. That makes tha tabs sound

scratchy. But I can still hear small gold.

If I use both tones, I listen for tha higher

tone to poke it's head up and bam. I'll

get it.

I really like tha way it does this all with

little loss in depth, as far as I can tell.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Hey, I like the concept of that Euro Sabre. It would be so simple to add a witdth control to a Tesoro with that feature and set the control where the tones mix at tabs. Even if you're a beep-digger the info would be nice. If nothin' else, when the tones mixed your heart could race at the thought it might be a ring instead of a tab. I liked it so much I was once a (gulp) BH fan. :blush: What most people don't know about that feature is that even though the tones mix at tabs, it will still give a high tone if a coin is under a pile of tabs or surrounded by 5-6 nickels. When the coin with the high tone is removed from under the nickels, the low tone takes over. Not many notch detectors can consistently do that.

As someone who is not blessed with the apparently clean sites some of you have, I find a meter to be almost a must have. If I were to "dig every signal" at my favorite sites, it would look like a mine field. Now at the swimming hole and tot lots the meter is simply a way to get some idea what a target is before you dig. If I get a 18-21 on my DFX I'll have my buddies check it out with their detectors to see what they think it is. Sort of a game.

Now I have seen some detectors that displays are just about useless, but a good visual display saves me tons of trash and a lot of wasted time. And I'll invite anyone to walk behind me with a no display detector and show me what I've missed. Besides trash that is.

I met a guy with a DFX.

I was searchen in a park.

Tha guy tells me there isn't much to find there.

He said him and guys with Minlabs and Fishers

and other top end MD's had hunted tha place

until there was just not much to be found.

That's why people quit huntin there.(probably just too trashy)

While he hunted with me, I pulled a gold swimmers

pendant.

He said, " let me see that " he grabed it out of my

hand before I had a chance to look at it and checked

it with his DFX and said with supprise,

" That registers just like trash ".

The next time I went to that site, there were dig holes

every where. It had rained and washed tha loose dirt.

I had to carry dirt from tha woods in a bucket and

cover tha holes.

I'm not sayin you would do something like not covering

your holes, but you may be using disc or programs that

hide tha goodies.

Anybody that says I just beep and dig, needs to learn a

little something about metal detectin.

I know how to do this better than a clunkie digetal prosessor.

It just cloudes tha issue.

I'm talkin about one of tha trashiest sites I have ever been to.

It's so trashy, it over welmed those boys with their Whites,

Minelabs, Fishers and even tha Mean Green Machines.

This place sent them packin. My Compadre will trash hunt

like a pro in my hands. I'll take your leavins. My Euro will

even do better, (in my hands).

I have pulled lots of gold out of there.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Hehe. Well I'm not that "guy with a DFX"

I spent my first 20 years of metal detecting with machines that only had sound. I know how to tell good from bad by just the sound, but as we all know, sound can be fooled just as easily as the display. It's all on how well you know the detector. I've been through my years of digging every thing that makes a sound and you know what? While you can never get it all, and anyone that thinks they can needs to have me follow them some time, the few things I do leave behind aren't going to be worth much.

In my younger years spending an hour to do a small yard was being thrall, with todays detector technology it's simply wasted time. I have a Sovereign GT also but I don't use the meter. It's one heck of a detector for the right type of hunting, but it is no match for my DFX when it come to time well spent.

That guy did not know how to use his DFX. Ever consider that? Check out Clive Clynick's book on DFX Gold Methods. You may find that the DFX is not the non gold finding clunky detector you think it is. And Clive has found A LOT of gold jewelry. And this is NOT a "Tesoro vs Whites" post. I am simply stating that saying meters are useless is a pretty silly and unfounded remark!

Edited because I forgot to spell check!

Ah they're just having fun with us guys with the meters, they know a meter is a valuable tool, just not everyone has them or knows how to use them correctly. You can give a man a shovel and if he doesn't know how to use it right, he'll tell you he can dig better with a spoon. And ya know, he's probably right.

I think a display can be a very valuable learning tool especially for someone new to detecting. It can be really tough to explain to a new detectorist what a dime will sound like, but its real easy for them to look at the display and see it say dime. After time they will learn to identify what a dime sounds like and that the display, like the sound, isn't always right, but it makes the first time learning much quicker.

Just for the record. My favorite detector of all times was my Tesoro Inca.

Nick,

I understand completely. It can get easy to cherry pick, thats for sure! I think Tesoro would be short sighted not to come out with a nice TID detector. It would compliment their "beep and digs", and ensure they stay with the market.

I couldn't agree more ZincolnDigr. There is without a doubt a good sized market for the TID detectors, and it seems it would simply be good business to try and supply the demand.

What I remember some 20 years ago was that Tesoro was on its way to the top. At that time the top dogs were Whites and the Green Machines. I had never heard of Minelab and back then Bounty Hunters were considered toys. Tesoros Toltec 100 made its play for the cream of the crop and did a very good job of it. Damn fine detectors for the time. Then in the late 80's Whites produced the first Spectrum detector(Eagle Spectrum) that would change the game forever. The Eagle Spectrum was in a class all its own in features and performance. From that point most of the others were playing catch up.

I bought a Eagle Spectrum in 1991. My hunting buddies had a Toltec 100 and a Master Hunter and there was just no comparison. The Spectrum out performed them on every level and not by a small margin, but like night and day. The Green Machines have never been known for having extreme depth, and its true to this day. Garretts claim to fame is a solid reliable performer. They seem to be content with that status even today. Minelab seemed to have come out of nowhere. I know they've been around for years, but it seemed here in the US everyone was loyal to US made detectors. I've never owned a Fisher but always wanted one. They seemed to trade back and forth with the Green Machines for number two spot. I hear the new F75 is a killer detector, although a bit noisy. I think if Tesoro was to produce a full featured TID they could easily claim a spot at the top.

You got me South Wind.

I'm just sturin up talk.

I know that a display can be useful,

especially for a new person.

I never said thay were usless.

I just said I don't care for them.

My experience with them was short

lived. Just didn't like them.

I went through 4 in two months.

I felt like I wasted my time and money.

I just love tha light weight and analog

fast response, along with good performance.

In my opinion, any more than that is just

more than I want.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

I've made a post earlier on this one, but here's another run. When I do use either of the machines I have that have meters, the meter reading comes AFTER I've determined the sound would seem to indicate a good target. As I swing, the sound of a hit is what I'm concentrating on, then I look at the meter and between the two indications I make my decision to dig or not. I feel that any beginner in the hobby would do well to start with a "beep and dig" machine, get to know it well, then consider learning a metered machine if desired. I truly feel my experience with the basic non-metered machines before trying a metered machine has been a great help and I'm glad I started that way. And, if in the least bit of doubt, dig - that's the only sure ID. My two bits again,
BB

[size=medium]You may find that the DFX is not the non gold finding
clunky detector you think it is.[/size]

I don't recall sayin anythin, good or bad about Whites.

[size=medium]That guy did not know how to use his DFX.
Ever consider that?[/size]

[size=medium]That guy was a president of a metal detectin club.

I saw tha article in tha Arkansas Gazett when he
found a Colt US 45 at Jenkins Ferry.

Yes I thought of that.

He and his club buddies are tha guys that left me
this stuff. All at that one site. Lots of others have
hunted there also. Trashy as all get out.

This is just some of it.

gldrng1.jpg

10-1-4-1.jpg

8-31-6.jpg

11-7-1.jpg

dia3.jpg

5-12-b.jpg

9-28-7.jpg

8-31-4.jpg

3-10-2.jpg

5-11-1.jpg

2-15a.jpg