Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher Service

This is not directed at any individual poster, but to those the feel that everything should be at near freebie pricing.

Electronic service work labor is from about $50. on the low side to $100. on the high side for a hour of labor. This does not take into account the cost of parts or shipping. Let's take $50. as a figure. Labor on most detectors run about 2 hours, = $100. right off the bat. The CZ-20 is most likely going to be about 4 hours to do including re-alignment, and re-sealing. Thats good for a $200. labor bill.

In service departments like Fisher has, it's far better for them, faster, and the repair is more reliable, to replace the the complete component board, or in the case of Tim's, the face plate assembly. By the sounds of it, Elgin Tim's unit was not under the lifetime warranty. We can also compound the problem with the fact there are no CZ-20 parts left. Having no parts for the CZ-20, ( it was discontinued long before First Texas purchased Fisher ), left them no choice but to repair it by replacing it with current CZ-21 parts. In order to do what was needed it was also necessary to change the case out also.This being 2008, I can understand the high dollar amount. Actually the price quoted isn't too bad considering all. All should be aware that sending your detector into any company for non-warranty repairs, is going to be expensive. The days of the $50. repair bill went out with the .50 cent loaf of bread. :shrug:

Speaking about warranty's, had the lifetime warranty been in affect on this unit, Fisher would have done the work at no cost to Tim. This is something one needs to think about when purchasing a used detector, and certainly a water detector. I'm sorry I just don't see why Fisher should be giving this repair at no cost. It certainly wasn't the new Fishers fault. First Texas did not have to continue any warranty issues that was setup by the older Fisher company. They did decide to continue it, thank you First Texas. :thumbup:

I can't speak for anyone at Fisher that may have not been polite to Tim on his unit, but reading his follow up post on this matter he explained it.

granted!,,i don''t disagree with the facts as you presented them!..everything is costly these days,check the price of milk lately?..ok!..with that said,i believe and i stated this in onother post,that something MAY have happened in shipment.i would make an effort to determine that first,and proceed from there!..it IS known that manufacturers in the PAST have treated their customers differently than this guy is being treated!...whether the circumstances were unusual or not,this i do NOT know.however i CAN tell you,that detectors ARE made very well,and GENERALLY if there are issues with them,they happen after years of field use!...regardless of cost,i feel that (f.t) should help this guy out and promote good public relations going forward!.(w.t.f!)..take a charge,and write it off as the cost of doing business!

this gesture will go a long way in maintaining,and preserving an excellent public image!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.

I'm not a FT F&A guy but I'd bet some more of that reality Bill is talking about is the fact that ULTIMATELY if this repair bill is reduced or eliminated in any way, it just goes into the calculation of when, and to what degree the company raises prices. In other words, they don't "eat it", WE DO. "The cost of doing business" IS payed by the consumer somewhere along the line or the company goes under. I've been watching this whole industry wide warranty thing snowball into an out of control monster for some time. And one of the biggest reasons?.... some people want something for nothing (a "free fix" outside of the conditions verbage of the warranty) and worse yet, think it's a good thing. It's a GREAT thing if one doesn't think past their nose. It's a horrible thing for the consumer because it's nothing but deception and waste, and that waste is payed for by what you (don't) get for your money each and every time you buy a new detector. On a larger scale, even though it's basically the same thing, we've gone through a long period of time where we've, for various reasons, been "given the farm" and now increasingly, companies can't afford to keep doing so and it causes all this discomfort as folks have to reassume responsibilities or liabilities back again. OK, end of rant. Mr. Bill, this is YOUR fault for getting me started!!! :rofl:

Thanks Brad and Mr. Bill, I agree the free market is a great thing. Yes. I am ticked at the cost, but my issue was primarily with the lack of an expedient description of the failure mode. Learning there was no electronic failure, and the cost outside of labor was for the housing and front end as explained by the FT tech brought me down a little softer. I expect that if I am not a lifetime warranty winner then the cost is mine to bear.

I have known many of those great FRL service stories from friends, so that also put me at odds with my experience. Had I thought it would have cost me this much though I would have liked the option to get the parts and do the work myself and I would hope this is an option that the people at FT will consider going forward. I would like my CZ-7 tuned up sometime and having bought it brand new and sent in the warranty card 10+ years ago I expect it would be covered should any defects be discovered.

I bought a used old 1235X some time back, and did not send it in when the disc knob detent failed. The thing would turn itself on during travel in the car from minor vibration, there was no "click" left in the knob. So I got a pot, changed it and changed a few parts on the board with the intent of broadening the iron range and narrowing the good target range of the disc. Worked out great, I still get gold earposts at 2" with that machine and the good target range is higher up on the disc than before. Nickels come in hard just below that but lots of gold comes in above. Could not silence the occasional chatter in noisy areas however but that's my soft matrix machine in parks.

I'd be happy to work on my CZ-7 if internal parts were available or if I had info on schematics, it would be a little harder to distinguish individual circuits than on the 1235X . That's why I have not tried it, need a good hard matrix machine that I haven't screwed up. Same goes with the CZ-20, else I would have found seals or fabbed them myself.

Yes I'm ticked at cost, but have no intention of turning it into a crusade. Did however get lots of good info from folks here that helped me in determining my course.

Thanks all and HH!

I think some companies will work with a person to some extent,, but when it is abuse too much they have to quit doing this or go broke. If it had been a design error I am sure most companies will do what they can for cost or even free. Over the years I have seen all the detector company's do many repairs for free that should not be as it was no fault of the detector, but abuse of the consumer as he dropped it in water or some even left them on top of the car and drove away. Last I heard even Tesoro had a price now for circuit board on their detectors that have been abused or not original purchaser as all repairs are not free any more.
Now Fisher, First Texas as it is called now or anyone of the many detector companies start doing work out of warranty free or even less we will have everyone wanting this on their detectors even if they drove over them with their cars. Warranty's are made for a purpose and that is to take care of any material or workmanship that may been defective and this should show up in the first month or so if it is defective. Warranty's have been abused and why we see many companies starting to get tighter on them.
I once worked in the tire bussiness for 20 year and seen with the road hazard warranty people would abuse it to no end as they would get a low tire and run it until it was ruined instead of airing it up and then want a new tire for free even though it was not the tires fault. Seen alot of just plain abuse too and wanted new tires. Soon the tire company's were hurting as too many free or pro rated tires going out that should not have and it was taking it toll on the companies. Soon there was no road hazard warranty and the dealers would in good faith sell a tire for actual cost just to keep the customer's happy. Now I see where many place charge you a little extra for a road hazard warranty. I think we are going to see more of this type of warranty all our products we buy not only detectors as we see this on cars and many appliances, even Minelab now has a extended warranty the customer buys unless Minelab has a special and throws in a extra 2 year warranty.

I do feel the best a company can do when it is out of warranty or not the original owner and keep good faith is to give a policy adjustment and repair it for cost which I feel most do now.

Rick

Mr. Bill: I understand what you said.I own 4 fisher detectors. Now I am worried. What I think is happening is we are comparing repair cost of Fishers to other metal detector manurfacturers Fisher seems very high as to repairs on other brands. Yes They are losing money it seems. But they evidently think the PR is worth it. The metal detecting industry is very small compared to most retail industries. It probabaly would not take a lot to really hurt any particular manurfacturer with the internet if many negative reprorts were on the forums. I hope the problems can be resolved in a satisfactory manor to all concerned....Jack

three weeks ago I had to pay $600+ to have an intake gasket put on my truck that I bought new but is now out of warranty. The dealer, who is a personal friend, explained that there is a history showing this particular gasket failing much earlier than normal but usually after the warranty runs out. I didn't like it and I caught myself having a moment where I wanted to whine and hopefully get the manufacturer to pay for at least a portion of it. Then the reality of the situation set in and weighed through my momentary lapse of "reason". My truck IS out of warranty. This manufacturer IS in a fight for it's life, has all sorts of pressure to increase it's warranty term and coverage primarily due to foreign competition that is setting the pace at the moment, but will they (the foreign co.) be intact to take care of those 10 year 100,000 mile committments? Will either of them? I'm upset with myself because I'd heard Fisher was in trouble for a long while before the sale and never thought of the fact that they were knowingly "writing with vanishing ink". Anyhoooo, I imagine FT did their best to estimate the liability of honoring the outstanding warranties, adjusted the purchase price accordingly and are hoping for the best. Hopefully without opening a new can of worms, there's another detector company that still lives (and hopefully not dies) by the lifetime warranty. We all hear of those many attaboy testimonies where they fix a 20 year old machine that is with it's 20th owner. Great press and might give some a nice warm and fuzzy feeling as an owner, particularly one that bought used, but it means you're getting less for your money with that new detector they release than what it could be if the warranties were just honored as they're written. It's the old "pay me now or pay me later and I'm gonna get paid with interest if it's later." :) Last but not least, Tim, is my agreement with you in dinging FT about their lack of timely communication when they had committed to do so. Now if they just didn't have the answer to pass on when they had thought they would, that's one thing, but if someone had the info and just arbitrarily waited an extra day or two, well that's not cool. I suspect FT customer service is still a little early on in the learning curve of switching from primarily megastores to dealers and end user individuals. I'm confident they want to "get it".

Hey, I'll take the blame. :razz::rofl:

A little story about Fisher service that happened to me around 1998. I had returned a CZ-6, and 3 coils to be up dated to a CZ-6a. It was a matter of changing the coil connectors, and installing a headphone jack. The 6's had a headphone pigtail cable on them, not a 1/4" jack like we are accustom to today. The $60. quote that was given to me on the phone turned into $270., by the time I received them back. (The $60. was for changing out 1 connector.) Now this was in 1998 dollars, not 2008 dollars. Talk about being upset. :rant: Even then, Fisher wasn't giving their time away. :)

I bet that did sting a tad, especially since you could have done some or all of it yourself if push came to shove. That helps put that $50 in '08 dollars (to make a 75 a 75a ;)) in a pretty good light. :)

good point!..well taken!..however my feelling is it's NOT out of control because as i pointed out in my post GENERALLY detectors are built very well,and the percentage that needs to be fixed either in,or out of warranty is very small,the "good will" gestures made in the past from the various manufacturers were NOT out of line in my view!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.

it begs the question then why did the other manufacturers impart a different philosophy regarding this issue,as tesoro,and white's appear to approach this from a different perspective!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.

I'm new to the forum and just registered so I could reply re: fisher service. I too am a long term fisher user; 1266-x, CZ-70, FX-3 ferro probe and the CZ-20. I'm surfing the net, reluctantly to look for a new machine to replace my CZ-20 that was purchased in 98 and ran into this forum and decided to add my experience with customer service.

I love my CZ-20 and it's been a hard decision to give up this machine and move on.......where I don't know and especially am not sure to continue with the new Fisher Labs. My CZ-20 is old, was purchased in 98, and did NOT have the lifetime warranty. I've lost track of how many times I've sent it in to Los Banos to be repaired but it's been several times. At least once it was repaired free of charge when it was only a year or two old and at least three times in more recent years. I thought of the occasional repairs and costs as the "price of doing business" having found a machine that works so well for my detecting......I chest-mount it and hunt relics with it. Without the weight of the housing the stem and coil are feather-light and allow the user to swing all day long. Ten years of serious swinging has caused damage to my shoulders so any machine that can't be chest mounted just will not work for me. Plus I really like the autotune all metal mode.

The repairs were always related to the switch and the costs weren't cheap. Most recent examples; December of 06 I paid $332 plus shipping to have the switch repaired. It was winter when it was returned and I did not fire it up until spring of 07and it only worked for a few hours before again, becoming unstable. I put it in it's case and switched over to my CZ-70. Within two months the CZ-70 also quit with no warning on a beautiful day in an ideal place very far from home. I finished the day with my Whites XLT. This was the third time since I purchased the CZ-70 in the spring of 2005 that it failed and required service. The factory repaired it in June and in communicating with the Los Banos repair people, I mentioned my CZ-20, it's December repairs, and how it became unstable within a few hours of use and was now out of commission. The women I spoke to said to send it back as they would repair it under warranty for work performed that previous December and gave me a Fisher repair number. I boxed it up but neglected to send it in due to travel and work commitments.

In November I finally got around to sending the CZ-20 in for repairs. I contacted the new Fisher people in Texas and they said they would not repair it under any warranty work as there was only a 90 day warranty on repairs. In other words, my warranty had expired before I used the detector that spring as the repair work had been done the previous December! Nevertheless, I still wanted it repaired and sent it in 11/27/07. I called Fisher in January and was told it would be an expensive repair. I inquired about being told that it would be repaired under warranty and was told they would have to look into it. Eventually Felix called back and rattled off a long list of needed repairs and said a rough figure was 430 plus shipping. He reiterated that repairs were warranted for only 90 days and that he saw no mention of any repair work performed free of charge in the notes that had been taken from my call that summer with the Los Banos tech even though my notes said differently. I expressed disappointment in the charges saying it was half of what I paid for the machine and would have little assurance my money would buy me anything more than 90 days from the time of repairs. He simply said that it was my "choice" and he needed $25 to send the unit back.

Since then I've read about the new CZ-21. I'm surprised Felix or the other techs didn't mention the new machine as I specifically asked if he/they knew of any other machine by Fisher that would be similar to the CZ-20 other than the CZ-70. What I really want is the autotune all metal mode and the ability to chest mount. I had purchased the CZ-70 as I thought it would be similar to the CZ-20 by having the AUTOTUNE search mode but really dislike the touch pads as they make it difficult to switch back and forth between auto-tune and ID mode. You need to very deliberately push the pads. Other than breaking down three times since 2005 and the irritating touch pads, it's OK.

Of interest, this is the body of the letter from Fisher...

"We have received your Fisher model CZ20 and based on our review of the product, we have determined that the product is in need of repairs. Unfortunately you have refused repairs. Processing and freight:$25.00. Total Charges: $25.00. We have tested your CZ20. We find it to be in perfect working order. Please feel free to contact us.....if you have any questions and/or suggestions to better your service needs."

I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds confusing....they've determined it needs repairs ($430 plus shipping, according to Felix) but at the same time its found to be in perfect working order?

So that's my experience. Just feel sick about needing to switch to a new machine as I relied so heavily on the CZ-20 and it's features. As far as me neglecting to send the CZ-20 back to the repair depart soon after it quit, well, that was a moot point according to Felix as it was only warranted for 90 days in the first place.

I got along very well with the old Fisher people and enjoyed being able to speak with the factory techs and get advice. That advice led me to purchase the 1266x, the CZ-70 and the FX-3. Now, when I deliberately asked Felix if there was any machine that might replace the CZ-20 he said he was unaware of any. Yet now, I hear the 20 and the 21 are identical except for the pinpoint button! Would I buy a NEW 21 for a grand or pay nearly five hundred for a repair to the 20 and only have a 90 day warranty?

IF I leave Fisher, it's more because they are leaving me, I think. I'm still considering the CZ-21 but am not yet convinced as I've read about other's having problems with the unit.

unfortunately as a dealer for Fisher I can't control what is / has happened. I certainly wished I could. :shrug:

I have spent more than a few phone calls with Fisher over this very such type complaint. I truly believe their trying to get a handle on things there, but it's time consuming.

Someone has mentioned about a couple of other detector company's about how well they take care of their customers repairs, but I could fill a page here listing the complaints I know about from them also, ( I won't do it ). ALL manufactures have problems like this at one time or an other.

I also have been around enough to realize that there is 2 sides to every story, and what is really going on is somewhere in the middle. Please don't take this as an assault against anyone integrity, it's just that all stories get told colored to favor the teller, no matter who says it. :)

Let's hope that someone that can help in Fisher, will straighten this out real soon.:thumbup:

Lets move on to a more positive topic, can we all ????

I was never a Fisher guy myself over the years as it was known to love iron and my CZ7 just loved it, but have now like the new Fishers made by First Texas. I got a Teknetics T-2 and took me a couple time out with it and I liked it, but had bad battery clips as it would reset itself sometimes and I had to put my programs in again so when the F-75 came out which was more for coin hunting I had to try one. Cant say I was overly impressed with it the first few time out , but that has changed now and I had no battery problems either so they had corrected this problem. Like all detectors it seem to have a learning curve which was not bad, just takes some time to get used to it over what I normally use. I got a F-4 and used it for a competition hunt only so far, but I like it better then anything I have used before as it is so light plus it responds very fast even swinging fast. I had no interference from other detector also which was a problem in competition hunting before.
As far as my F-75 I have tried 3 different ones and they all work the same and cant see any problems with any one of them and seen no quality problems with with any of them. Some say the new Fishers now are made by Bounty Hunter, but that would be like saying the Corvette is made by Vega even though they are both made by GM there is a big difference. The new Fishers are great detectors from what I have seen so far with no problems and I plan on keeping my F-75 as I just got one of the new Sun Ray probes on mine.
At this time I feel the new Fishers are being picked apart by many that didn't like First Texas buying them out, but feel give them a chance as they may be one of the better detectors you will use. Just keep in mind this is not the old Fishers as thing do change to benefit both the consumer and the Manufacture.

I do look at it that it was a good thing the First Texas purchased Fisher, had they not, we wouldn't talking about Fisher new model problems right now. There would be NO Fisher company left, it would have closed down, period ! Fisher had been for sale for a long time, (few years), and there were no takers, so thank you First Texas. :thumbup:

For the nay sayers, perhaps they should look at Bounty Hunter, they may be pleasantly surprised. A few years back, it was doubtfully that you could find a good working one out of a full carton of them. First Texas took over Bounty Hunter, hired Dave Johnson. Between them, and a few others, turned the company right around. There quite a reliable unit today, and they have good performance.

Hey digdakota, it sounds like Felix may be saying the same thing to me he said to you. While they disassembled the unit and found no problems, they could only reassemble it with the new housing/front panel. It just took too long for me to learn that this was where the bulk of my cost came from, based on a broken front panel on the unit when I sent it in. I would not hesitate to buy another Fisher, pre-FT or post FT, but am an avid CZ fan and have been very happy with my units.