Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Railroad story......Part 1- Part 2- Part 3- etc :thumbup:

and tried it out. Way too much JUNK!!!!!! found lots of coin sized pieces of aluminimum crap!

Part XII The final chapter

After making up the air connection, I grab the skate and place it up on the end of the car where it

n/t

n/t

did you have to get out and man handle the things.

Man you know trains don't you? How long you been working them?

It seems like some are auto bridges though.

I could be wrong on that but it was somewhere near Mt Pelier, where I was taking my classes that I saw one. It seems it was an auto bridge outside a small village. We walked through it.

Vermont has some beautiful country. The colors have to be fantastic right now

small enough to either let the engine push them out of the way or we have to use pry bars and manpower. If it's a really big slide, it's time for the track equipment. We have front end loaders and cranes that will run on the tracks. Trees, we usually just push away or stop and dig out the saw and cut it into managable pieces. The problem lies in that rocks can push the track out of guage, then we could go on the ground. I've been with the company since 94 but as a conductor since 96. I still learn something nearly every trip.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Dave

n/t

to read my ramblings Wayne. Like I said, it gets really boring at times.

Dave

that TV show a couple weeks ago showed just how important it is.

I think it was in Alberta, out there somewhere anyway, and it was about a horrible train wreck. There were three men on the train. An engineer, a feller riding in the cab with him and another in the caboose.

The Engineer was a bit of a drunk and had health problems. There was a foot switch on the floor that was a safety measure for if the Engineer had a heart attack or left his position for any reason unexpectedly, the breaks would be applied.

It seems that this switch was commonly over ridden by a brick or lunch box being put on it.

They are not sure what happened but a passenger train was a coming full tilt from the opposite direction and the freight was suppose to take a siding. They hit head on at a combined speed of a hundred miles per hour or so!

Engineer, the guy riding shotgun with him were killed instantly, as were many on the passenger train.

The guy in the rear of the freight said he kept calling the engineer but got no response.

There was an inquest and it was found that they all were sleeping and the dead mans switch was overridden.

Lots of dead people. Horrible crash.

I can see that if all the procedures were followed this would not have happened!

on the History Channel and it amazed me how many horrible wrecks there were in the old days.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/wreck1.html

Heck, they seemed to be an almost daily occurrence out west.

I really enjoyed this series of posts Dave. I learned a lot and it brought back memories.

Like I have said before, I took the Algoma Central to Hearst Ontario, a trip of 10 hours each way and also went from Detroit to San Diego, which was a three+ day trip. We also used to take the train from Pontiac to Detroit every year on a class trip. This was in the days when a bunch of white kids from the burbs could do this safely. The long trips were tough but interesting.

Thanks again !!

I'm not sure about Canadian rules, but we can't work more than 12 hours running. If we work 12, we have to have at least 8 off before being called again. If we work 8 we can come back after 4 off. We can also split, work 4-5 hours take 4 off and come back for 10 depending on the work. That doesn't happen in passenger service but does happen with freight. The newer engines have electronic sensors that keep track of cab movement and each time the engineer touches a control. The "Deadman" switch you spoke of has to be released and re-pressed every couple of minutes or the engine cuts power and applies the brakes.

Thought I'd already replied to XI and XII. My apologies to you. I'm glad I happened to check this thread again. This journey reminded me a lot of the movie "The Bridges of Madison County" with a twist of railroad lesson thrown in for good measure. Both historic and educational. Always a great mix ! Many thanks for taking the time to write such an "easy to visualize" and interesting story !! Well done !:beers:

a railroad guy coming into our warehouse where i worked early one morning when it was still dark to switch out cars and i think he was carrying a little battery powered lantern about half the size of the old oil lanterns they used.we had two tracks inside,each had ten spots,we could drive from A to B track to unload or load.

without getting hurt dave,we use to move the cars with a forklift and a chain when the doors were off spot,you get that weight moving and you better be careful,i was hurt on the job twice there and both times it involved unloading railcars although it had to do with dockplates and bulkhead doors,enjoyed the story dave.

has to have a real accurate spot for the cars, so they can be hooked up to the hose delivery system. I've had to use a "johnny bar" to move the car just a few inches so they line up. Wouldn't want to try it with a loaded car though!

Dave

n/t