Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Railroad story......Part 1- Part 2- Part 3- etc :thumbup:

Different surroundings and scenery. Sure beats the heck out of a four wall situation. Keep the ride coming ! A most pleasant journey.

Part VIII Up the line

The Rockingham trestle is the second major bridge on our run. It was originally constructed in 1852 of wood using buttress abutments with a center pier. It has been replaced in the forty

I was interviewed by a local TV station doing a series on "Dream Jobs." A lot of little boys used to dream of being railroaders I guess. Usually it's a lot of fun but sometimes it's a headache like any job.

Dave

Did you ever take any pics ? It'd be a treat to see !!

Part IX Covered bridges

Out on the rails, we are fortunate to be able to see things from a totally different perspective than if one was touring by auto. As we roll along, away from the hillside, we enter the farming area of the valley floor. The local farmer has had a good year with his alfalfa field and is putting in his fourth cutting. He bales it in the large white round bales. I think they look like giant marshmallows. Of course he doesn

our hands out the car window when at a crossing, and see if we could get the engineer to keep blowing it! This is still so good and intersting and I hope you can get some photos soon. :)

their beshide you. I love covered bridges, therefore one of my favorite movies and books was "Bridges of Madison County". You simply MUST take your camera and share some of this scenery with us. It sounds like a very beautiful, relaxing ride thru your country side. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!! :)

n/t

and i have found many old coins and goodies around the foundations of old stations and stops. I am truly enjoying the trip but my mind keeps going to my detector!:biggrin:

the ground is saturated with clinkers and pieces of iron. The last time I tried it I only had a beep dig machine. Now that I have some disc in my :fisher:, maybe I should try it again!

with my old Garrett Grandmaster CX111 (lots of discrimination)and found an 1864 US half dollar in VG condition and 4 Canadian "fishscale" silver nickles along with several old dimes, quarters and pennies from 1900 on through to current times.
The tiny Silver 5 cent pieces were easily lost so show up more often on an old site than the larger dimes and quarters.

You sorta lost me a bit but I get the gist of what you were doing. That train talk is another language!

Not we are headed for VT:thumbup:

much goes into it. I figured it was just ALLABOARD! and the thing took off. This is interesting

Part X Sewerplant and coming into Chester

Coming up on the milepost 12 bridge. The top crossbeam has the numbers 1899 cut into it denoting the year of construction. Imagine that, 107 years old and still serving the railroad as it was intended so long ago. I

there are some like today that all go to hell on a handcar!

I remember taking a train from Pontiac to Detroit when I was a kid and then the trip to California. The ten hour trip to Hurst on the Algoma Central was long and boring.

It seems that the trip up through Algoma country would be interesting but the forest is so close to the tracks it is like being in a tunnel. There is little to see for much of the way/

Now that trip to California was three days or so and I saw some wonderful country. I had never been west and that wide open country was amazing to a seventeen year old boy!

These stories are bringing back some memories

Part XI Running around in Chester

In Chester, we usually run around the cars while they are spotted on the station platform. When we have more cars than can fit between the crossings, we hold everything together and after the passengers are all back safely on board we shove back down into the yard and do the run around using the passing track.

Today, we only have four cars so we can run around using the back track. When this was an active station, there were two tracks on the platform side and three tracks on the other. Think of the station being an island between the tracks and you get the idea.

I step up on the footboard after switching the engine onto the back track. I stay here so I can watch for any errant passengers that might move across our path as we travel behind the station. The feed store is on the other side of the back track and more than once, we have had to go find the driver of some car that has parked too close to the rails. Of course, I could give them a 100 ton nudge, but that causes too much paperwork Ha Ha! On the other side of the road serving the feed store, we have a static display of the last caboose in train service on the Green Mountain. It is a "bay window" caboose instead of the usual cupola style. It saw train service right up until the eighties when regulations and equipment precluded the need for someone to be riding the rear of the train. We open it up so people can walk through and see how it used to be. Inside there are two cots, a conductors desk and a pot belly coal stove.

Moving down the back track, I tell Bruce to stop. Stepping down, I walk into the roadway to flag the traffic. The mainline has flashers and bells where the back track has just a pair of rails so it must be flagged.