Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Railroad story......Part 1- Part 2- Part 3- etc :thumbup:

VT Dave

A day in the life....

A railroad conductor

that hostler term carried over to trucking,that's what they call the guys on the yard who jockey trailers around,and they have those tractors assigned just for that duty.

hydraulic fifth wheels so they don't have to crank up the landing gear! :lol: Been around a few of them too.

Its the Diaries of a nineteenth century Locomotive Engineer.,BY Dana Adams Story.I think you would really enjoy it. You would feel right at home... RJ

story. Trains have always fascinated me and I always learn something new about them from reading your stories. I am looking forward to the next part of this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Part II Making the hitch

n/t

n/t

and waving at the engineer, and that feller in the caboose. They seemed so advenrerous to a young boy. Always going somewhere interesting.

We would put pennys on the track and let the train flatten them. Like most places, those tracks are now jogging trails.

I took a train to California once and it was an adventure for sure. We would get bored and stand between the cars and wave to the people, as we passed small towns out west.

I took the Algoma Centeral RR to Herst Ontario on year on a fishing trip. That was a ten hour ride and it just wore you out.

Thanks for getting me to remember those days Dave. I am enjoying this post and look forward to more. You are a good writer!:thumbup:

is a woman, and the conductor is a man? Would you have the same arguments as a man in the fishing boat and a woman in the truck when they lauch a boat? This is really a frustrating thing to me, as Scott and usually stayed peezed off the first fifteen minutes after we get the boat launched! :argue:

Also, I have three of my grandson's who are really interested in trains. I hope to take them on a trip for a Christmas present. Now I wonder if they would like it or be bored???? :confused:

n/t

Part III Air testing

Once the air chambers on each car have been filled with air from the engine, I can do my brake test. This is required before any and every train leaves the yards and proceeds out on a mainline. Each car has a dual chambered air reservoir. One side is charged to line pressure of ninety pounds and when the other side reaches the same pressure, the brakes are fully released. Train brakes work opposite of truck air braking systems. The brakes are applied by reducing the air in one side of these reservoirs, which through mechanical linkage, applies the brake shoes to the wheels. Before each days use or if the cars have been off air for over four hours, they must be tested. Off I go, looking at each brake shoe, using a flashlight to see the ones in the shadow of the side frames. Each shoe must be checked for wear and cracks and must be replaced if necessary. Getting to the rear, I hang a gauge on the airline.

adding to it here.

I love a series like this. Few of us know anything about trains. I thought the Engineer was the boss.

Thanks Dave!!