Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PINPOINTING PROBLEM

LS hunter

Should i send my v3 to whites the depth is wrong,When i pinpoint the depth reads from 1 to 3 inches when its at least 5 to 6 inches..Im using the 950 coil on it.The soil is very good here in louisiana i can even run the TX with out any trouble i had the TX on and the gain on 12 it was running smooth the depth is like know other detector i have ever used ,I really like the v3 but i need the depth reading to be on time,I pass up a few hits today because it said one inch so i didnt dig figured it was trash,Is it something im doing?????or the detector is bad??????Thanks greg..........:shrug:

I know there have been posts regarding this before, but I cannot find them. In my opinion, depth is just a guideline. I don't measure to see its accuracy.

Is this happening on coin sized objects? A Beer can will always give a shallower reading, and a buckshot pellet will read much deeper.

It is on coins too,I use the depth to help me in not digging pull tabs,If the target is shallow i dont dig,It was telling me the target was one inch or at zero and it was about three inches or so one time it was @ 5 inches and the detector was telling me it was 2 1/4 ,When i dig i like to know how deep to dig so i dont pull to much mud out of the ground less hole to fill leaves the grounds neat,should i send the detector in???i all most foregot the little hump is wrong too it was telling me it was about two inches long and it was a nickel.....I just dont know what to do.....

Neil i went to your site it cool good way to go,people helping people cant beat that.....only if the rest of the world was like that,maybe they need to start detecting!!!!!!!!

I was thinking that since you stated that you were using the 9.5 coil. That it may hold a change in depth for the detector is probable calibrated to the D2 coil. H. H. Yazoo

LS hunter said:
Neil i went to your site it cool good way to go,people helping people cant beat that.....only if the rest of the world was like that,maybe they need to start detecting!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

I did not think of that, maybe ill send it to whites to be calibrated...The ground here in Louisiana has little to know mineralisation so i dont use the 10"DD coil,I
did a air test on a nickle and the depth reading was off so i put the nickle in the ground and the reading was off it was in the ground about two to inches and the detector still was off by three inches it read zero,I know the ground balance affects the pinpoint in centering for your target but will in affect the depth reading????THANK guys for your help i really like the v3 i would hate to go back to the dfx not that the dfx is a bad detector at all but i feel like i step up i dont want to go back......:rage:

Ok guys I am sure now that I am not the only one with this problem ....Lets get this addressed right away , whites please if your out there please pick up on this problem I can't deal with this depth problem. I don't know about you guys,but depth is very important ,depth is needed to determine something good, I have tried to lower my gain and all metal nothing I have tried to pinpoint and bob the coil nothing the only thing that works sort of is if I use one frequency Now I am pissed to find out I am not the only one with this problem. After being ignored for this problem I am starting to see more people come out with this. I paid all this money for a high tech machine and I end up paying more to keep sending it back for a fix its begining to feel like we have a ford edsel in our hands
Sorry for the shout out I don't mean to put this company down,, whites is still the best company I know
I didnt want to do this but after sending this machine back three times it does get on my nerves
I need to vent !!!!

Here are some more post from other forums...
Hi,
I was out at the beach yesterday and still can't seem to get the correct depth when I am pinpointing.
If the target is 4" or under it always reads 0 or 1/4" if its down 4" to 6" its says 1.5". I ran it for an hour and then went back and got my DFX and the pinpoint depth was right on. If it said 4" I move away 3.5" of sand and scoop 1" and the coin is there. If it said 1" I just need to skim 1" and so on.
Are there any settings that affect the depth reading? I am using the 950 V rated coil, it acts the same with the Super 12. (I don't have the DD anymore)

I also have the problem with the red bars in another post.

I keep going back to my DFX, anyone in the Pa/NJ area (that is using a V3 sucessfully) that can spare sometime?

More keep reading

My machine very frequently (like 80% of the time) reports coin-sized targets at 4-5 inches that are nearly always within the first inch or two, whether I am at the beach, on land, or wherever. This includes modern clad and, of course, pulltabs.

This problem occurs both in pinpoint mode and search mode.

I am also having some trouble with depth, so if you could, answer me this: Can your machine see a quarter in dry sand, at say 10 inches? What is your "air test" on an object that is quarter size? Is the search depth reading reasonably accurate? Maybe its an adjustment problem, but even after tweaking Rx gain, Disc sensitivity, etc. mine has trouble with these.

I'm starting to wonder if whatever is causing the depth readings to be off could also be contributing to a depth problem overall? For example, if the signal received was weaker than it should be, would the target be reported as further away? And if this is the case, would the signal from a target that was actually far away (say, an 8 inch quarter) actually come back to the machine so weak that it would not pick it up?

I know that your depth problem is different, the machine is seeing the item as "closer" than it is, while mine sees it as "more distant"

Whites has mentioned calibration/balancing problems to a few people on the phone, perhaps you and I are seeing the symptoms of this?

I called todd and yet to recieve any word on this Now I know that it is not only me!!!

I don't even use the depth estimate reading. I just dig til I get what I'm looking for.... :unsure:

I use the pin point to tell me if its a good target or not,I dont like digging deeper than i have to because its more hole to cover,The other day my pin point read two inches and it was at least three to four inches,I just dont under stand how whites did not find this when they tested there detector out.I dont know about you guys but it drives me nuts,If it cant be fix i think ill be going back to the DFX,I really hope whites gets on top of this problem like redbird stated we have spent a lot of money on this detector and please dont get me wrong i have own six whites detectors and love every one of them,We all need to get on the same page with this and have it fixed...Im going to call Todd tomorrow and see what he thinks.....Its not the user if more than on person is having the same problem.....Where would we be with out FINDS T??????

You are using a loop that did not come with the V3 and you also stated that you had the TX boost on. I think the V3 is calibrated with the D2 and and TX boost off with a dime sized target. Any deviation from the calibration perimeters will affect results. I have long wanted White's to have a user adjustable depth adjustment with the wide assortment of loops on the market. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult.

Larry I dont think the loop is the problem I have tested my dd 5.3 and the 950 all have the same confusion on pinpointing depth and I know todd told me it shouldn't matter with any coil. Have you been using other coils ? do you get a difference with them? I did a comparison with a dealer by me I went and told them I was interested in the V so they gave me a demonstration with the dd coil and you know what that coil had a problem giving the correct depth the dealer seen this and said it was the flouresant lights causeing this " while set in common"???? Larry can you check yours and tell me if its on the money with the dd coil
Thanks

I would be happy to, but it might take me a few days. I have some long days ahead of me for this week. I have noticed the live hunt screen depth is different than the pinpoint screen, but the pinpoint screen is more precise than the live hunt screen. I honestly don't pay much attention to either because I can tell the approximate depth by the strength of the audio, especially when using the DX-1 to pinpoint.

Thanks larry, I appreciate all the info you get for me then I will determine if I have to send mine in again. Anyone else please join in on the testing

Do you have the latest version of software, Ver. 1.3? If not, you can have Todd check it out when you get the free update.

I have try with the TX on and off with know change in depth it still tells me zero when its three to five inches,I have used the 10DD and its all the same,I cant tell you how many good targets i have passed up because i figure it was trash,pull tabs and so on,I just wish whites would address the problem as its the detector and not the user.Its to the point where i dont want to use it,Ive been using my back up....I love the V3 dont get me wrong i have never seen a detector with this kind of depth,The ground here has little to no mineralisation so i can run with the TX on,If i run with the TX off and a lower gain the depth is like the DFX,and lowering the gain did not help with the depth reading.....

What does the depth do when you lift the loop up, let's say 6 inches? Are any of you close to your dealer for him/her to compare results with your unit?

Larry (IL) said:
I would be happy to, but it might take me a few days. I have some long days ahead of me for this week. I have noticed the live hunt screen depth is different than the pinpoint screen, but the pinpoint screen is more precise than the live hunt screen. I honestly don't pay much attention to either because I can tell the approximate depth by the strength of the audio, especially when using the DX-1 to pinpoint.

Info like that is increasingly making me make my decision towards the DX-1. I for one haven't had an issue with the accuracy of the depth reading (except for the predictable stuff like small aluminum foil and cans etc..) no matter which coil is on? The live hunt depth thing has been of no use to me but...maybe it'll have a use once we get more into this box? Good luck in finding the solution... as that has to be maddening!