Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Growing Concerns....Am I seeing the light?

In my opinion,

Charles(NY) was correct in the past and he is still correct to date

After all this time and based on personal experience in using the White's DFX and trying to explore as to what the DFX's ability is by COMPARISON (which there is NONE) to the Explorer line, well, it's got a big FAT :thumbdown: from me.

I have found out enough and used both of these detectors with a bias that will always lean to the Explorer's SIMPLY because they WILL do better in 99% of the situations I have used them in.

I'd go as far to say that the Explorer XS, Explorer EX 2 and the Explorer SE is the absolute best :thumbup: and serves it's purpose in ALL situations.

Maybe the Explorer may have lacked to some, in it's ergonomics, in what I and many others believe to a minor extent, but when it comes to the most important part, the finding ability of either detector, that accolade goes to the Minelab product which was NOT a re-hash of an old clunky product that I believe needs just too much mucking around to get it to work with an ability that is anywhere near as good as that of the Minelab Explorer's.

It is an old argument ...yes BUT this time I feel a little capable of making comment given the fact that I have had the far better result from the Minelab product when I do my detecting.

You can take it or you can leave it. It no longer matters because there is a whole swath of people who have finally realized THE facts. I have always stood by the Explorer because I too knew it was the better BUT chose to give the DFX a go. Rather I should say that the DFX gave me a GO. What a challenge it has been. One that I have finally put to rest.

You to might want to consider the same. Unless there is something that you believe can possibly make me believe have possibly overlooked in my evaluation.

I'd REALLY genuinely like to hear about it.

Good luck and take care.

Hard Nosed Dave

For the reasons mentioned in my original post, I had a suspicion that my finds would increase with a high-end ML. When it comes to detecting, it's very hard for me to put 100% confidence in anyones word because there are so many variables both in the environment and with the machines that we don't know or understand...I have to find out for myself. Which is why I now have an SE on the way to see if it is as capable as I'm led to believe, and more importantly, to see if it finds more coins. I certainly hope it is and does because I don't want to have to turn around and sell it or find another DFX in a few months. My point is, I take everyones experience and advice into consideration but because not everyone agrees on such things, the only way I can really know the truth is to find out for myself, which is exactly what I'm doing. I've seen and heard enough from guys on forums and a couple guys that I hunt with that have used both machines, and what they've been experiencing supports my decision. I will know soon enough. :cheers:

The quality of construction alone is a major plus. I have beat these machines in the woods and rocks and have never had a problem with coil, rod or housing.
The assurance of depth and locating targets, shallow or deep has always made me come back to the same conclusion. The only other machine that has given me full confidence is the Shadow X5. But that is a mono tone with no display. Still a great machine.
You will find soon enough that you made no mistake in your decision. One thing I will urge you to do is to get familiar with you new SE in either Iron mask at factory set 22 or the Coin and Jewelery mode before you try experimenting with what you read hear. A lot of new users get totally frustrated because they try to run before they can walk.
Take this for what its worth. And congratulations on a great new adventure.

Aww, thanks Bob. All ya gotta do is to llike dogs and let my fellow digger / helper, Gulliver to come along with us!

Now I'm walking on Bazookas offer. Besides, you don't want two old dogs in your life:devil:
[attachment 81699 cid_000901c7ef36881a83e07fc264d0DFP9GPB1.jpg]

You've gotten some great replies from some hard hitters that use the Explorer with great success.

Explorer CONS .....
It simply hates disturbed ground like plowed fields and almost any other detector will do better there until you really learn how to use it.
Has a fairly long learning curve but is well worth the effort.
The ergonomics could be better and it's heavy to swing all day for older guys like myself.
Needs a slow hunt pace to really perform well and likes the coil scrubbed on the ground for the most part.
Pinpointing may take you some time to learn with the stock coil, .... the 8" coil will make the overall learning process much easier.
Does not do well on tiny gold flakes (prospecting).

Explorer Pro's
Yeah it's kind of heavy ... but it is built TOUGH and you don't read a lot of post from folks complaining about something breaking either.
No other detector will out perform the Explorer in the iron, none, period ! The iron mask is the best in the industry.
I know no other detector that will hunt deeper and give good ID like the Explorer.
Has so many coil selections that no other single detector compares to it.
Will hunt ANYWHERE that I've taken it and overall performance is very good.
Once you master hunting by sound and less by ID, your finds will increase dramatically. The Explorer has a true sound card in it much like a home computer, makes it easy to learn when YOU really listen.
The finds made with Explorers versus OTHERS tells the real truth, no guess work here :biggrin:
Minelab customer service is 2nd. to none in the industry.

DFX ... personal experiences and just my OPINION

Pros ... will hunt most anywhere.
Easy to set-up, GB and hunt, anybody can do it.
Feels good in the hand, especially on full day hunts.
Pinpoints like a dream.
Has a fairly large coil selection.

DFX Cons
You have to be a constant tweakaholic to get the best out of the DFX, at least that's my take on it. I used one for 2 years and went back to the Explorer.
Depth is lacking compared to the Explorer ... any Explorer series.
Whites purchased their dual frequency technology from Minelab, couldn't do it themselves I guess :surrender:
Everytime I've hade to send a Whites product in for service "out of warranty" they really busted my A$$ on the repair bill.
I've compared the DFX to the Explorer in the field so many times that I finally learned that there is NO COMPARISON when all things are considered !

Reads like I'm partial to the Explorer doesn't it ?
I am ... and for good reason :thumbup:

Good Hunting
Mike

let me just say this...about that....a couple of hunting buddies of mine who both use minelabs and myself included went to a park in Peoria Illinois that a detecting club hunts on a regular basis...i even met one of them on this particular outing and he was telling us about how they had exhausted the silver on one particular sledding hill and were now going after the lowly old nickels....well to make a long story short i was told by this club hunter that most everyone in the club were using whites and a few fishers .....so just take a look at what was left on that sled hill and THEN you tell ME just exactly how good the other detectors were......and yes i know I'm gonna take some heat for that statement but the finds should quench the heat for the most part...and let me just say...YES YOU HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!!!:super:

And..she's very nice looking !!!

You have to be ignorant or arrogant to blindly believe in a manufacturer and not the results. I have used a White's since 1974, starting with the Coinmaster V Supreme. That is when White's started to be "the king of machines." I found more in a day than I found in weeks previous. I also dug more nails and pull tabs than I care to remember. I have been a loyal fan, even after I bought the worst White's detector, The Coinmaster 5000D. I have since learned that any company can be driven by the bottom line and hard headed thinking, like I think White's is doing now. Don't get me wrong, I love my DFX. I have found my good share of respectable colonial coins and artifacts, most at pounded out sites. But reality is reality. White's is, and has been, loosing the battle over advanced technology. They continuously, slightly improving the same machines, instead of looking for new technologies. They let Minelab creep in and now they are back peddling. The new machine from White's? A 12" coil version of the same DFX that was already out. We're screaming for less masking and they give us what? A big disappointment. I expect a leader in world technology to be looking into hand held ground penetrating radar that can SEE the coins, and they tweak the same old machines and call it new. Hold on guys, in a little while you probably will see that ground penetrating machine on the market, but it will have a Minelab name on it, not a White's!! Don't buy a machine on brand loyalty only. DFX Gregg took a lot of slack for changing. If I could afford the new Minelab, it would be here in my hands already!!! Bet you didn't expect that from my subject title? Just my oppinion only!

First off I will say that I learned on and still have a White's XLT and LOVE it for certain types of hunting, so this is not a brand bashing. Last year I hunted my grade school which dated back to the 50's and is still used today. The difference is "our playground/ball field" is not used today and has only been an area off where no one has detected until I did, knowing the location. I wanted to compare three detectors at the time and thought this would be a perfect location. Keep in mind items don't sink deep here because of the specific gravity with regard to our soil, soon proven since I found a copper at about 5-6 inches at this location. I allowed 5 hours with each detector since this was not a large area. First was the DFX, next was my X Terra 70, and last was the Explorer II. What I found was that the DFX left so much in the ground that it was like I didn't even detect there. The X terra was a killer on pennies, most being wheaties and especially nickels. The Explorer was the last detector to get a chance and yet made many more finds after the other two detectors. So the score for most finds was: Explorer, X Terra, and DFX in that order.

Dimes on edge or deep dimes......But not seeing quarters or a half????.....Now thats just nonsense......Sucks being a WHITES owner.....BAAAHAHAHAHAHa........OOPS!....is that bashing? :devil:

No...Get rid of the wife and stay single...its alot cheaper and you can buy many more toys......but a date here and there with mariposa looks like fun also.......:devil:

Hey Mattock Man,

Come on' - now all of us aren't HMC's (High Maintenance Chicks). What's better than a gal who rather wants to be out on the beach or park with a Minelab (please note that I said Minelab, and not White's), than being at the mall shopping! :rofl:

Sincerely and having a fun time with this thread,
Mariposa

[quote mattockman]No...Get rid of the wife and stay single...its alot cheaper and you can buy many more toys......but a date here and there with mariposa looks like fun also.......:devil:[/quote]

I don't know about that. Certainly isn't cheaper for me being single. Particuarly given housing costs here and paying "child support". (Don't be a male and get divorced in Mass! You'll lose both most of the time with your children and $.) I was a lot happier married even if I had to compromise on things more often. Oh well, I guess one's mileage may vary.