Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Growing Concerns....Am I seeing the light?

Thanks savage. So I kind of understand the difference between the XS, 2, and SE. How do the 30,50, and 70 fit into that line-up? In between an XS and explorer? Is the SE the only one with VCO?

Money isn't really an issue as I said I am willing to sell the DFX if I know that the next machine is going to find me more coins than I find now. So if that's the case, is the SE the obvious choice or does anyone think that the others may outperform the SE?

Thanks again to everyone for the info, I'm much more informed about ML machines than I was this morning.

Charles, the naivety of this thread and the responses posted, leaves me wondering if you guys have learned anything regarding the basic principles involved in metal detecting. Nails on top of coins, rust stains on coins, etc...Comparing two totally different detectors, no details of set-up, operated and observed by third parties who admit by their comments that they are lacking in understanding of matters, begs the question.are you being sincerely helpful?

Both detectors, DFX and Minelab, are great units. Each will excel in deference to the other under differing conditions. So why not try and explore the good points of each instead of trying to imply that because you are good with your detector then the other detector is in itself, no good.

Come on guys.........MattR.UK.

adequate for all types of hunting. The XT 70 is the top of the line in that series and offers a prospecting mode along with other features.

What do I base this on? I have seen the DFX go head to head with the Explorer in the field on the same target before its dug and LOSE too many times for anyone to convince me that the DFX can hold its own against an Explorer when it comes to deep targets, target ID of deep targets, or being able to get a lock on a target being masked by rusty iron. And before you make the old worn out argument that it must have been newbie running the DFX I have hunted side by side with Dave Z, a guy Whites recognized as an expert on the machine and he lost every test but one, and that's when I was still learning the Explorer.

So you are free to believe whatever you want, seeing is believing in my opinion and I have seen enough and dug enough to stand behind what I say.

Charles

[quote BiLL IL]My understanding is that a faster processor will let the machine recover quicker between targets.
Some believe that it processes the target information faster. Letting you hunt a little faster.
HH BiLL IL[/quote]

They sped up the Explorer II recovery BUT was this done at the expense of target ID e.g. similar to Fast On? One very obvious difference I noticed between the XS and the II is the XS is a nickel vacuum cleaner while the II does not do as well on nickels. Both Ed and I were using an XS and both digging about the same amount of nickels then I upgraded to the II and my nickel count dropped like a rock. Couple years later I went back to the XS and like flipping a switch I was digging nickels left and right again. Just something to think about. Of course the XS has a different coil than the II also. The geometry of the II coil is quite a bit different.

Charles

I've had my SE for a little over a year. The learning curve is pretty interesting. I dug well over 150 old coins last year and should continue to get better as I continue to learn what the machine is telling me. My buddy has been detecting for about 10 years and sold his whites and bought an explorer 2. His mastery of his detector amazes me. We were leaving an old park one Saturday last fall when he stopped me saying I'll just grab this quarter. He proceeded to pull a Merc, Barber dime and Barber quarter out. There was a large nail on top of the Merc which was a good 2" above the Barber dime and about 4" above the quarter. All three coins had significant rust streaking and then he followed that up by pulling 2 large cents at another park next to an old tool which was almost 10' deep. I guess experience pays. I have a Bounty Hunter that I use around newer playgrounds and schools. The finds paid for the SE and the rest is in a CD.

Ok, it looks like I'm pretty much settled in on an SE and I'm willing to part with the DFX as I don't think any amount of diplomacy would convince my wife to allow me to keep both. :blowup: Now I just have to find a good deal. It'll probably have to be used as an SE with an X-1 looks like it'll run just over 1k. Is the warranty transferable? Anyone know of any available used SE's? I was directed to one via PM but it was sold by the time I got to the link. This might be a challenge. :help:

I am taking the se over all the spots I hit with the dfx....The dfx will act as a clad cleaner in tot lots and very trashy areas.... The Se will handle the rest! Get the Se don't look the other way...if you cannot keep both...if you decide down the road it is not for you ...you can always go back.... I have received alot of heat from brand loyal Whites users on the whites home forum linked to their web page...some got so upset the posts were deleted.... Just wait till I learn the se and post back with some results...I have a feeling they are really going to be upset...they have already given me the motivation, now all I need is the ground to thaw...

Keep the dfx and save up for the minelab se I use both the dfx on new ground,for the speed of recovery,then when the field is clear of finds,go back over with the minelab se.

Gregg

From watching all of your posts with your DFX, you can rest assured that you will become very proficient with the SE in a short amount of time. After some of the deep silver starts to show up for you, you will not hunt as many tot lots and school playgrounds. You will be researching for the older sites. Old silver gets into your blood real quick like.:surprised:

HH BiLL IL

It's done!! I went with a new SE and got a good deal. It should be here by the weekend! Man, i can't wait. And I'll still have my DFX for a while so I can do some side-by-side tests if I feel the urge. Thanks for everyone's input!!! :cheers:

Where die you go to get a great deal? I would like to have one also to compare my DFX with. Thanks, Ken

Let's compare notes, Baz! Although you'll be farther along than I due to the fact that its frickin' cold up here! congratulations on the new purchase! May our learning curves be gentle!