Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Growing Concerns....Am I seeing the light?

bazooka

I've had a DFX for over two years and I know the programming side of it very well. It is my first and only land machine. I feel that I am using the machine close to it's maximum potential. However, two things are concerning to me and I'd like you're unbiased and constructive opinions/advice.

The first concern has risen recently. Someone somewhere posted an experiment they did with a large number of detectors that basically showed how well those machines did in three different iron masking situations. The SE was not tested but the Explorer 2 was and it aced all three tests, seeing the coin through the iron masking. The DFX did very poorly. At first, I wasn't too concerned because there was no mention of what settings the DFX was using and I know that can make a big difference. However....

Recently, a DFX-using friend of mine got an SE and tried a variation of this test for himself. He put a nail on top of a dime on the ground. The SE saw the dime like the nail wasn't there. The DFX saw the nail like the dime wasn't there....

My second concern is just a simple observation. I stop by findmall every so often and I make it a point to compare the finds posted to the Minelab forum with the finds posted on the White's/DFX forum. The difference is black and white and has always been this way everytime I look. I'm now convinced more than ever that the ML is simply a better machine from what I've seen. I didn't mention my other friend who has only had his for less than a year and is already beating me in silver count. He's had a few 2-silver days. After over 2 years, I have yet to find 2 silver coins in one day.

My problem is, I can't own both as my wife will have nothing of it. :thumbdown: So, the only way for me to get an SE is to sell old blackie. This concerns me because what if I don't have as much fun with the SE because it looks/sounds/feels different? Or maybe it's not as good as I'm lead to believe?

Are there any lower-price machines that are capable of piercing through the iron like a hot knife through butter but without all the other bells and whistles that drive up costs? I'm really open-minded to anything. I'd hate to sell the DFX because it's my only land detector and therefore is my security blanket, but I'm willing to.

Also, what could I expect to pay for an SE new/used with X-1 probe?

Are there other possibilities that I'm not considering?

Thank you in advance.

Tim
Dirtjournal.com

Tim you can do a trade in with kellyco and with detectors you get what you pay for......don't buy a cheap detector you will never be happy good luck

Try to find a good deal on an XSII or an XS. Not as much money as an SE, and you could then keep the DFX if you need to. Just a thought.

HH BiLL IL

naaaw keep the whites....heck if everybody keeps gettin an explorer the rest of us that do have them are gonna start finding it tough to find new places to hunt.....and besides ...keepin the whites is way cheaper than gettin another detector....just kiddin....the minelab machines will serve you well...no matter which one you get....and as for the fun part you mentioned....depends on if you like detectin fast or slow...if you like covering ground fast keep the whites..if you would rather slow down a little the minelab is the way to go..:cheers: :minelab:

Think about the Xt 70 Minelab, I Read it's a great machine. Keep what ya find with the DFX, which by the way is not a cheap detector, then when you have found enough with the DFX, get the Minelab 70.

HH

It will work out, and don't believe all ya read ...

GaryL .... :minelab::detecting:

The XS goes just as deep and is just as good in the iron if you are not swinging it too fast. Minelab tweaked the II and SE for quicker response but that change resulted in the II and SE not performing as well on nickels. The XS is a nickel sucking vacuum, I like it better on deep targets also. You can get a used XS now for quite a reasonable price, upgrade it with a carbon fiber lower rod from the II/SE model and you got a pretty good unit. Look for one with a 1/4 inch headphone jack though or the Sunray stand which converts the 1/8th jack to a 1/4.

Charles

Look at the iron rust on this silver dime, dug with an SE the other day.

iron1.jpg

And less people think this was a fluke here are four more all dug on a rusty iron infested beach.

iron2.jpg

Sounds like a tough situation - but if your friend is now swinging the SE, perhaps a little trade off time together and you would get actual hands on for yourself.
Better yet, if the wife only allows one, add the SE, put some time into it then decide which of the two you keep. (take a few years to decide :devil:)
Better yet, add a used Explorer-2 and save a few bucks up front, then use it and make your bucks back.
Better yet, keep both. Nothing wrong having an extra machine. :huh:

I don't have the DFX, but of the machines I do have (8 machines), the Explorer-2 hits silver deep. Mine is set up with the Sun Ray probe which works well. Besides the stock coil, I have the Sun Ray X-5 Stealth for the trashy areas. My friend switched from his Explorer-2 up to the SE. In his opinion he says the upgrade is minimal and also says for me that I should stay with my Explorer-2 unless I want to just spend some bucks.

Tab, thanks a bunch for your insight. I was kind of wondering what people thought that went from an Ex2 to SE. I saw a few used Ex2's in the 700 range...much more wife-friendly than a used SE @ $900. :) Maybe I can convince her to allow me to try out a machine before I sell the dfx just in case. But I think keeping both (for an extended period at least) of them is certainly out of the question.

Also, I would definitely get the X-1 as I would feel naked without a sunray probe. Thank you for your view and I hope to hear more!

There are advantages to both machines Tim. I have the DFX and XS and enjoy both in their own ways. You can get a good used XS for under $500 if you look hard enough and the X-1 for another $125 on Ebay. I would suggest trying out the Explorer and see if it is for you or not before selling the DFX. The Explorer takes some getting used to.

I have to agree with Charles.
The XS is on a par with the SE and XSII in depth and working in the iron.
The SE and XSII have a faster processor, and both have dual digital. Ferrous and conductive which the XS only has the condutive when in digital.
You will see that it is almost as hard to find a good used XS as any of the other (2) models.
I still have mine and will not sell it.
Larry IL is in the process of doing some tweaking on his DFX to change it's handling chararistics in the iron. Maybe he will come up with something useable for you.
Good luck with whatever you decide on.

HH BiLL IL

My understanding is that a faster processor will let the machine recover quicker between targets.
Some believe that it processes the target information faster. Letting you hunt a little faster.
Really makes no difference to me as I hunt slower and use a slower sweep speed.
Just the way I like to hunt. Slow and easy
The one thing I would like to say tho is that:
The Explorer series of detectors is not the perfect fit for everybody.
That is why there is so many different Manufactures in this business.
Give one a try and if it don't fit just put it on the classifieds and almost 100% gurantee you will get your money back.:super:

HH BiLL IL

First let me say the Explorers are in my estimation, the best machine on the market today. It took a lot for me to say that because I've used a lot of great machines. As for you not liking it, not to worry. You will love it in short order.
A dime and a nail. that brings back memories. I also was amazed. See pic below. Nail was on the Barber Dime.
[attachment 81534 COINS018.jpg]
As for a less expensive machine that would be comparable to the Explorers for finding silver in a hole with iron is the X-Terra 70. Also a Minelab and have done very well with it. It has great depth and very light. Runs about $795.
[attachment 81539 COINSONLY107.jpg]
Just my thoughts on the subject.

Gary L is correct the xterra 70 is very good, light, and goes deep. Another decent Minelab is the Xterra 50..excellent performer.

[quote BiLL IL] Give one a try and if it don't fit just put it on the classifieds and almost 100% gurantee you will get your money back.:super:[/quote]

Hard to argue against that!

:There are several questions you need to consider,
Would you enjoy yourself if you took an under preforming race car to the track? Would you try to go back to the race track with a car that would be more competitive?
And lastly would you take the time to familiarize yourself to the new car? If you answered yes to all the ques tons, then you understand my reply. :cheers: I did about
2 Mont's of research prior to buying an EX11 about 3 years ago. What you said about Iron and silver is correct concerning the Explorer :minelab: versus :whites: DFX.
Often i get that sweet silver scream and then pull up a nail or two. once I recheck the hole the silver is still there. The reading for a silver dime is 03-28, silver quarter
is 00-28,29 silver half is 00-29 and silver dollar is 00-26,27. The DFX has a double digit readout I believe. The reason for the four digit readout with the explorers is ferrous
and conductivity. the sounds that are produced in conjunction with the readouts gives you a darn good picture of what you are scanning. Yes minelab has a new product
called the Xtera at reasonable prices. I think they are the 30. 50. and 70. The 30 has only a fixed coil, however the 50, and 70 can interchange coils. I suggest the Xtera
50. lightweight, interchangeable coils, and has the minelab quality in the field. :drinking: I believe they are about $500.00 or so. I tested one out of the box for target ID and
depth and was pleasantly surprised at its performance.:thumbup: Just remember the racetrack, now you will, with a little practice and familiarization will be in the lead pack with
your hunting Buddy's for silver and other desirable loot. :smoke:

Happy Hunting Grounds,
Savage :minelab: EX 11

Hi Bazooka,

I can tell you that I found an Indian Head penny under an old iron stove leg with my SE. I've also found silver coins and pennies in my highly trashy lawn. It's a great machine but takes time to get used to.