Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75 Digging low VDI readings.

Hey j.t., I would love to hunt in your neck of the woods some time. Barring rain, I hunt almost daily for about 4 hours and when I am done, I am already looking forward to getting out the next day. The F 75 really is a great detector. Even after two plus year's of using it, it still continues to amaze me. HH jim tn

love to do that too!..jim!..unfortunately not quite there yet!.gotta supplement the pension with a part time job for now..,but what you are doing is exactly where i want to be!..maybe in another year or two!..love that 75!..greatest thing since rock and roll!..hot damn!..one hell of a coin shooter!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Thank you for the VDI reading! I am still having a lot of trouble with this machine. I think I was not made for metal detecting although the thought of finding that cache or gold ring is very exciting. I just always feel I am doing something wrong!

No one.."ever" does good all the time.....How long have you been detecting ??? I see you only joined the forum 16 days ago.

Which detector are you using right now The DFX, or the F75 ??????

If it's the DFX run preset coins only..if it's chattery ( Not a word)..... turn down the sensitivity.

If your running the F75 turn the sens down to about 40..........De mode......and take out up to foil on discrimination.
Get the feel of the machine before you crank it up..It's sensitive and will chatter even in preset.Fast grab the ground balance often. It's completely different than the DFX in all regards.

Now..This..You have to have sites that have good stuff before your going to find good stuff..Old schools, Old Parks, football fields, Baseball fields to an extent..and old home sites will have lots of targets..Good and Bad....Run lower sens and expand as you learn..... Coins only on DFX, and then Jewelry mode after that//// De mode on F75 and Je mode after that but not tomorrow give it a few weeks on each setting which ever machine your using.

I have been detecting since June 2006. I started off with the Prizm V. I found a bunch of clad and lots and lots of trash. I then bought the Ace 250. I only found pennies with that one. I then read and read how good the DFX was so I bought one of those in Feb 2007. Yes, I found stuff with it... trash, clad and more trash but nothing ever below 5". I didn't know how to power it up so to speak and got very frustrated but never gave up. In April, we moved to a 1910 house with 6 acres. I found 2 clad nickles, 5 clad pennies, 3 cap guns, 2 junior badges, LOTS of nails, lots of aluminum etc.... All at 5" except for most of the aluminum siding. That read 3 to 5" but was really down 12 LOL.

So I got to talking with a friend and he told me the F75 or Minelab Exp 2 does the best at getting deep signals. I figured since my yard was so old, the
good stuff must be deep. Well, I got the F75 and I love the weight. It is so much lighter than the DFX. But to me it isn't any easier to use LOL. I have been running it on sens 60, disc 6 dE mode 1 notch. I get so many readings when swinging. 16-90 is where they all jump. The other day I got a VDI of 73 it was solid too. And I pulled out an aluminum can. Then I got a 83 to 87 reading and I thought "quarter" and pulled out a piece of foil. It is just so frustrating. This was in my neighbor's yard not mine. I have given up on my yard. All I seem to pull from there are nails and aluminum and rusty stuff.

I did manage to pull out 3 pennies and a matchbox like firetruck. That was the yard I pulled the soda can and foil from.

I will swing the machine and it will read 22 then 42 then 22 then 63 then 22 then 70 then 73. Then I turn 45 degrees and get just about the same reading. Then I turn another 45 degrees and I get a solid 63, Then turn another and get the 22, 42, 22, 63, 22, 70, 73 again!!!!! And don't even get me started on pinpointing. jimtn told me to tape a coin to a piece of cardboard and turn it over and practice that way and I will try that for sure.

I am in VA now at my father's house and I am going to detect here tomorrow. There shouldn't be alot of junk in the yard. They never had BURN PILES here LOL>

Thank you Elton for telling me to take a break and relax... I will seriously try. I really like detecting. I just wish I knew all there was to know about these machines NOW!

:)

Lori

Lori...take small sweeps. I primarily use the 6" concentric coil in my trashier sites which allows me to analyze the numbers a little better. The F75 is a super machine and picks up so much so quick. The smaller footprint of the smaller coil will not have as many targets to analyze under it per sweep. Plus it doesn't pick up on the edges like the 11" DD can.

Maybe a better choice for you might have been the Fisher CZ 3D. It certainly doesn't have as many confusing signals as the F75 and locks on really well...however it does favor deep iron and some rusty nails as "good" targets from time to time.

Mastering the F75 will take some frustrating time...but the rewards can be great. Good luck and happy hunting. Remember...small sweeps.

Charles

Tighten it up tightly at screw in on machine.Or.Your yard is a dumping ground like you said..The F75 will hit every target............Run the discrimination up some more..or use all metal and check the numbers Dig only good target signals..( I might add aluminum will be a good target signal) and clean out the area..Then go back over it after removal of all big junk items..Pop cans will sound good to if at depth..if close you will get a siren sound move on if that happens to next target...............Try lifting the coil up a little and if you can go 15 18 inches it's big junk..Do this on signals before you dig it..

Hi Lori, I would also recommend looking into joining a local metal detecting club!! Go to a couple of meetings, and see if it interests you!! Also, see if you can find
a metal detecting partner that will help you out, so you don't get so discouraged!! HH, NamVetLesTreasureSeeker

Thank you Elton for the advice. I will try that. I am trying hard and not giving up!!!

Namvet - There are no clubs in WV near me and there is only one person near me to detect with and I think he is still busy with work. He uses the DFX. I would really love it if I could find someone near me or fairly close that has a F75 and would detect with me and show me the ropes. You know let me go over a part of land and find what I can and then let them go over the same piece and see what they find. I know I am leaving stuff behind. But I did find about 5 quarters 3 dimes and 12 pennies today. But my hands are hurting from the trowel I had to use LOL.

Take care!

n/t

No park, this was in my dad's front yard. Well, I found 4 quarters 2 dimes and 10 pennies in the front yard. I found 1 quarter, 1 dime and 1 penny in my in-laws backyard and 2 pennies in my dad's backyard. I left my good digger at home in WV :( SO I had to use another and man I didn't care for it LOL.

n/t

Hey Lori, Where in WV do you live? I live in NE Ky about 45 minutes from the WV boarder. If you are anywhere close I would be happy to meet you and give you some help with your f75

If I remember correctly they were around 70-80 something. Very repeatable. I used my small shovel and dug about 6-7 inches and there they were. The quarter was around 6 inches. I am heading back out today to do some more digging see what else I can come up with. I have hit this area I am digging hard. I know there is more old money out there just have to run over it with my coil.

Are you being a smart aleck or sincere? If there are clubs in WV, I can't find any LOL. Please let me know if there are so I can look into them.

Thanks,

Lori

Lori said:
Are you being a smart aleck or sincere? If there are clubs in WV, I can't find any LOL. Please let me know if there are so I can look into them.

Thanks,

Lori

I not joking, just telling it the way it is. I see very few people MD'ing in WV. I have went all year and have not seen one person detecting. I have MD'ed an area so much, with high exposure that the people thought I worked for the city. The cops all know me and have my number if they ever need my assistance. The ones I have seen detecting weren't very skilled. About as good as a first grader with their detector.
One man I did talk to thought that if you turned everything up you would have maximum power to find everything, even the discrimination? He had been MD'ing for 3 years and never found a wheat cent. THAT WAS HIS BIG GOAL! I threw a nickle on the ground and showed him how to set the discrimination. I showed him how to read the area and a good place nearby to detect. I came by 20 minutes later and he was screaming at me and show me an IH. he found.

I read an article in Lost Treasure by a man in Morgantown that was finding 20,000 coin a year, but I have never seen him. Morgantown is 15 minutes from my house. I had another man tell me of two guys that live 30 miles from me(Fellowsville) that are CW. relic poachers. Not too hard to do in this state.

I was in a caving club and a scout leader for 12 years. There are lots of 4 H clubs. I don't think there are many people dedicated to detecting in this state that would want to be part of a MD'ing club. That is just the way it is.

Thanks John now i know why i have not found anything yet.ha ha .I don't see many tectors around here but i know there out there.
But if i go to the beach you cant swing a dead cat without hitting somebody. I drove home up 95 last fall had to detour off the highway
in W. Va was drooling for 10 or 20 miles .Some tasty land there HH Mike

Ok, I was just making sure! I know I couldn't find any. There has to be people detecting here because I have trouble finding anything old LOL unless it is iron or foil!!!

I recently tried digging ALL low TDI#'s on the F70 while hunting an old adobe site in AM mode.

Couple of interesting observations:

- Most low TDI#'s where 12, or right about, and without failure they were nails.
- Then I'd get bouncy TDI#'s that if you'd do the "wiggle" (similar to the minelab wiggle) they'd bounce between 12 and higher #'s, and without fail they'd be a bent nail.

Unfortunately no goodies came from digging the low TDI#'s, BUT in all fairness none of the targets where more then 6" deep, so the detector was telling it like it was.

I need to find a site with deeper targets to try this test.

hh,
Brian