Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75 Digging low VDI readings.

The TID was in the 20'''s and the depth was only 7 inches. I did add 3 rusty nails to my collection. As for not digging anything under 18 in the UK I would think it would be even MORE important to fig the low signals over there. From all I"ve read and heard from treasure mags and people who have hunted over there is that there is an overabundance of iron in the Ground and judging by how small some of the old hammer silver coins and ESPECIALLY low reading gold coins would make you want to dig EVERY repeatable signal regardless of depth. Am I missing some factor? If so please let me know, I truly want to learn.

Ok, new topic sorta lol. What is the half dollar or dollar VDI#? Right now I have a DFX that I am trying to sell and I am getting an F75. Are the VDI#'s the same with the two machines? In my yard I get A LOT and I mean A LOT of 90-94 readings and it is always trash sigh.

Thanks,

Lori

Half dollars seem to hit in the low 90s. In my opinion, the 10" concentric coil does a better job on sorting out the bottle caps and sheet metal in that range than the stock DD. Though the stock DD does better in nails and small iron junk.

I have found that readings on and above 90 up are virtually always Trash ,so i now don`t dig them. every now and then i will check, but its always Trash.

If i was to dig every low repeatable signal under 18, i`d be in the scrap business . No , trust me , in the time i`ve used thew F75 (since it very first came out) i can assure you on my findings every signal under 18 was TRASH. (and i`ve dug thousands of signals to prove to myself . )
What i think were all forgetting is that this is also a Hobby were doing, and its supposed to be pleasant ways of passing the time. If we start digging every signal the F75 gives us then arn`t we defeating the whole essence of the game of Metal detecting by digging unwanted and annoying targets ? The F75 is clear enough when it tells you that it "batches" certain figures. The Low figures are what IT DEEMS as low conductivity metal . Medium conductivity metal. and High conductivity metal.
If we are going to start digging every low figure target even repeatable what is the point of having the F75 in the way it works. As i`ve said before, the F75 is the ONLY detector that will hunt in All Metal, BUT give you the digital read out of the target found in its Discriminatory Value readout .
Its hardly likely to be telling you its rubbish in the discriminatory value if its NOT. So if some of you are saying that you`ve had a low discriminatory readout such as 6 or 8 and its been a Solid Silver Coin, that does not Compute as feasible in my book. Yes you may have a low reading off a Clad or a Nickle type coin but thats because the metal is poor quality type metal , but i ask you this > "Who wants to dig for nickle coins or low value coins "?
If your happy digging for nickels and dimes ,then you havn`t got a problem . But over here in the UK we dig primarily for SILVER and Gold coins and While yes Gold will be a low ISH digital read out , its not going to be lower than 18 ,and All silver coins come in well above 18 except for What we call "Cut" quarters or halves and they hover around the 18 mark if deep. .
I mean the whole idea of the F75 is to give you Options to use the many modes it has and settings.
If your going to Dig every signal including the low ones whats the point of buying an F75 ? You might just as well have bought a Pulse induction type detector.

Good point! But I still remember my little haf dime that read a SOLID 10 on the meter due to the presence of a 4 inch rusty nail an inch or so above it. I would kick my own ass if I passed up a thousand year old coin because I didn't dig it. On the other hand, I can definately see how you would get tired of all the iron in your soil over there, We only have a few hundred years of iron trash to weed out but you guys have thousands! Best of luck over there and wishI was there. Bill.

agree.
I've dug a gold pre-engagement ring that registered a solid 22 on the meter.
Also dug a gold pendant that registered a solid 22.
Presently I've not found any good targets below 22 yet, but if the target sounds smooth and has depth to it and the ID is 20 or above I usually dig.

Jeb NWR said:
If i was to dig every low repeatable signal under 18, i`d be in the scrap business . No , trust me , in the time i`ve used thew F75 (since it very first came out) i can assure you on my findings every signal under 18 was TRASH. (and i`ve dug thousands of signals to prove to myself . )
What i think were all forgetting is that this is also a Hobby were doing, and its supposed to be pleasant ways of passing the time. If we start digging every signal the F75 gives us then arn`t we defeating the whole essence of the game of Metal detecting by digging unwanted and annoying targets ? The F75 is clear enough when it tells you that it "batches" certain figures. The Low figures are what IT DEEMS as low conductivity metal . Medium conductivity metal. and High conductivity metal.
If we are going to start digging every low figure target even repeatable what is the point of having the F75 in the way it works. As i`ve said before, the F75 is the ONLY detector that will hunt in All Metal, BUT give you the digital read out of the target found in its Discriminatory Value readout .
Its hardly likely to be telling you its rubbish in the discriminatory value if its NOT. So if some of you are saying that you`ve had a low discriminatory readout such as 6 or 8 and its been a Solid Silver Coin, that does not Compute as feasible in my book. Yes you may have a low reading off a Clad or a Nickle type coin but thats because the metal is poor quality type metal , but i ask you this > "Who wants to dig for nickle coins or low value coins "?
If your happy digging for nickels and dimes ,then you havn`t got a problem . But over here in the UK we dig primarily for SILVER and Gold coins and While yes Gold will be a low ISH digital read out , its not going to be lower than 18 ,and All silver coins come in well above 18 except for What we call "Cut" quarters or halves and they hover around the 18 mark if deep. .
I mean the whole idea of the F75 is to give you Options to use the many modes it has and settings.
If your going to Dig every signal including the low ones whats the point of buying an F75 ? You might just as well have bought a Pulse induction type detector.

I have dug 5 silver halves and 3 silver dollars with my F 75 at depths of 3-7." The halves all pretty well locked on 88-89 and the dollars 90-92. I have dug many of the higher numbers, 93, 94, 95 and all were trash. Copper tubing of 2" length and less read from about 87-92 and sound darn good. The bigger pieces you can tell by "sizing" the target, but those smaller pieces almost always get me. Better safe then sorry, I guess. HH jim tn

n/t

jim tn said:
I have dug 5 silver halves and 3 silver dollars with my F 75 at depths of 3-7." The halves all pretty well locked on 88-89 and the dollars 90-92. I have dug many of the higher numbers, 93, 94, 95 and all were trash. Copper tubing of 2" length and less read from about 87-92 and sound darn good. The bigger pieces you can tell by "sizing" the target, but those smaller pieces almost always get me. Better safe then sorry, I guess. HH jim tn

n/t

Hey Mark, 4 of the big silvers did come from the same old housing developement site, 2 came from an old fairgrounds in Minnesota, another 1 came from a yard in Hot Springs Ark and 1 from an old park in Memphis. HH jim tn

n/t

On a silver dollar I get about a 90-95 yes it can be trash but you can size the target to see how big it is. More times then not it can be trash but it is worth it and it always exciting. The VDI are not the same since the whites as -99 + 99 so for me the F75 is better. There are a lot of tricks with the F75 that being said try a disc of 6 and mono tone to start dig any fair to good repeatable tones and any deep readings that repeat and are above 15 I dig. I have had the machine almost three years and I am still learning from it and that is a good thing.

hey jim!
you own a plane?..sounds like ya really get to go outside your comfort zone!

(h.h!)
j.t.

or just go beep and dig!..if ya gonna do that..,then a 50.00 chinese special will do the "deed!",read out or not!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Hey jmart, no plane. My wife and I grew up in Minnesota and we vacation up there for a couple of weeks each summer and since retiring I also go up for a week the first week of June for some walleye fishing and detector swinging. In fact, this year I will be stopping on my way up for some hunting with Bill (I a th) in Iowa. I also fish several times a year over on Lake Quachita (Hot Springs) and usually tie in some metal detecting while there, as well. As far as being out of my comfort zone, I consider anyway there is dirt, to be in my comfort zone. HH jim tn

hi jim!
when i mention "comfort" zone,i am referring to a certain geographical area that most of us are resigned to hunt in!.i agree that ANY where you can put the coil to the soil,.(so to speak!) will be within one's "detecting" comfort zone!..if you could,maybe at some point in your retirement,you can come here to new england!..almost 400 years of history here,and i gotta tell ya,i never lose the excitement of hunting here!..now that i have the 75,i am just like a little kid in a candy store!..i am semi-retired and get out as much as i can!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.