Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox Classroom

filternozzle said:
[size=x-large]All the Multi frequency modes are 'different' due to the way the are 'weighted'
.[/size]
With a single frequency all the power is going into that one frequency, whereas with multi the power is split up between the frequencies but not evenly due to the weighting.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.​

Matt:-

(IMO)..Filternozzle's reply, is the most accurate and consise; where 'weighted' implies the proportion of high, medium and low frequency contents in each period of transmission.

That in turn dictates the harmonic frequencies used in that mode, chosen to cover typical targets and associated soil environements.

A Park environement is more likely to have a trash content that differs from that of 'Fields', as well as a differing soil profile.

..............................???????...................​

Despite the intended 'location usage' implied by mode titles, DON'T BE CONSTRAINED in EXPERIMENTING WITH THE OTHERS, ON DIFFERENT LANDAGE!

I suggest that any NOX user experiments, by using the 'alternative' modes available, in ANY environement; and learn to realise how differing modes can produce 'better' VDI's for certain targets of interest.

Has anyone out there tried that idea.....and what is your experience of such?.........matt

just wanted to say welcome home fellow Leatherneck. I tried to PM you but you're too new yet. Can you tell me where you got the little Marine Corps logo? I'l like to use it too. good luck with the Nox. It's a good machine. Semper Fi, Gene

jamesinwesttexas said:
So if the 600 is using all 5 frequencies in multi, why would you need the higher single frequencies? What advantage does the higher single frequency have over the multi which also includes the same frequency? Why would the single perform better than the multi? Thanks. James

?????????????????????????​

Single frequency CONTINUOUSLY concentrate the TRANSMITTED POWER, at THAT frequency.

Whereas Multi frequency, by definition of time-sharing, mean that each frequency/harmonics is active for a lesser time in proportion to the

number of different frequencies-periods involved

That simply answer, doesn't cover the fuller reasoning for using multi or alternatively, a single frequency to hunt with.

If you want to hunt for a specific target and know its optimum-response-frequency...then use that frequency.

Whereas, if that specific target comes in differing mass, and shapes, then THEIR frequencies with all differ.

i.e. Specific target...Silver $1...90%-10% copper.....Let's estimate its optimum response as being 1 kilo hertz (1 KHz)

Now compare a coin of the same silver proportions....Same diameter..BUT say 4 times THINNER.

What frequency would be more appropriate?

Try a frequency proportional to the SQUARE to the difference in thickness.....i.e. 4-squared =16; and 16 times 1 KHz.....=16 KHz

That means you would choose the !5 KHz single-frequency mode of your NOX.

Multi-frequencies are ideal in as much as you don't know what ;goodies' are waiting to be found.......matt.

metalpopper said:
So if the 600 is using all 5 frequencies in multi, why would you need the higher single frequencies? What advantage does the higher single frequency have over the multi which also includes the same frequency? Why would the single perform better than the multi? Thanks. James

?????????????????????????

Single frequency CONTINUOUSLY concentrate the TRANSMITTED POWER, at THAT frequency.

Whereas Multi frequency, by definition of time-sharing, mean that each frequency/harmonics is active for a lesser time in proportion to the

number of different frequencies-periods involved

That simply answer, doesn't cover the fuller reasoning for using multi or alternatively, a single frequency to hunt with.

If you want to hunt for a specific target and know its optimum-response-frequency...then use that frequency.

Whereas, if that specific target comes in differing mass, and shapes, then THEIR frequencies with all differ.

i.e. Specific target...Silver $1...90%-10% copper.....Let's estimate its optimum response as being 1 kilo hertz (1 KHz)

Now compare a coin of the same silver proportions....Same diameter..BUT say 4 times THINNER.

What frequency would be more appropriate?

Try a frequency proportional to the SQUARE to the difference in thickness.....i.e. 4-squared =16; and 16 times 1 KHz.....=16 KHz

That means you would choose the !5 KHz single-frequency mode of your NOX.

Multi-frequencies are ideal in as much as you don't know what ;goodies' are waiting to be found.......matt.

This is provided that you are not detecting in difficult soil, according to the user manual. If you are detecting difficult soil, such as salt water beach, the individual frequencies will not work well at all. So this is where the Multi freq comes into action.

Digger 45 said:
Look again the 600 runs 3 frequencies and the 800 runs 5 frequencies in multi frequency

????????????????????????????​
?

You are wrong Digger.

[size=large]The Nox 600 runs the same number of frequencies as the 800.....IN MULTI-MODES.[/size]

[attachment 365909 800-600_Tx_Freq.jpg][attachment 365909 800-600_Tx_Freq.jpg]Metalpopper is correct. I just measured the field coming from the transmit coils of both the 800 and the 600 (my backup). They are identical. See graphs.

i am trying to talk myself into getting an 800. i currently have a garrett at pro. i have heard that the 800 equinox will not work at all under power lines. is that true? thanks

There are several adjustments that can be performed so you can continue detecting under a variety of EMI situations. I personally haven't been shut out yet, its just a matter of noise canceling, lowering the sensitivity a bit and in extreme cases dropping to a single frequency{ not had to resort to the last one yet}.
Jeff

thats what i needed to know. thanks.
also....from what little i can decipher (my fault, i'm stupid about these things), the main diff between an 800 and a 3030 is all the gps bells and whistles on the 3030?

There are a lot of points on both sides of the fence, my 3030 is collecting dust after I used my first equinox. JMO
Jeff

i was told the 3030 is a superior machine as it has 28 frequencies as opposed to 5 for the 800 so ID ing a target is much easier. why did u retire ur 3030?

For the majority of the places I hunt the recovery speed of the Equinox is unparalleled. There have been numerous places where the depth flat out beat the 3030.
Jeff

Now here is where we are going to ruffle some feathers lol the ctx has a slightly wider spread of numbers, target trace, and ferrous id numbers all great attributes. But for quite a few generations of Minelabs the sounds or tones have become more important/ accurate when id'ing targets and the Equinox is no exception. With that said a bouncy id along with the right sound is all I need to determine dig or not, meaning the target is in close proximity to an undesired target.
Target separation is where it's at in todays detecting world JMO
Jeff

Two cons keep me using the NOX 800 over the E-Trac.

1. Sensitivity to small gold.
2.Weight

laplander said:
Kossie said:
Maybe a stupid question but can anyone tell me how to waterproof the equinox 800?
Can I plug the waterproof headphones in and go? Don't the charging pins require a cover?

Thanks,

Regards, Kossie
The charging pins don't require anything special. To submerge your machine you need waterproof headphones there are several kinds available, blue tooth won't transmit underwater. To wade you just plug the headphone jack with the supplied cover. There are other unrecommended combinations but if you swamp your module or blue tooth head phone their done.

Wait, what?...…...The 800 only comes with Bluetooth headphones however the module is attached to the unit and you are saying if the module gets wet it is toast? So does that mean we can't detect in the surf with Bluetooth headphones? I know the head phones aren't water proof but I was looking forward to wearing them in low surf between knee to waste deep but I know the waves will be hitting the unit. So I have to buy a set of waterproof headphones also?

The mentioned wireless Module is for hardwired headphones and is not attached to the machine. The detector transmits the Blue tooth signal.
HH Jeff

laplander said:
The mentioned wireless Module is for hardwired headphones and is not attached to the machine. The detector transmits the Blue tooth signal.
HH Jeff

so you don't use the wireless module unless you have some standard hardwired headphones that you want to plug into it? Do you use it at all with the wireless headphones that come with the unit?

Seeker Shawn said:
laplander said:
HH Jeff

so you don't use the wireless module unless you have some standard hardwired headphones that you want to plug into it? Do you use it at all with the wireless headphones that come with the unit?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: