Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox Classroom

They are working on a definitive answer about whether either Equinox ever uses 5 frequencies simultaneously (or sequencially) in the Geotech forum. Given Minelab's history of marketing fudgery there's reason not to take them at face value. If you take BBS and FBS as examples, 17 and 28 frequencies, while technically true in transmission, turned out to be more of a marketing ploy than technologically useful reality. Each turned out to only "use" (receive and processs) two fundamental frequencies. The clever stuff was in measuring the half-life of the lower frequency, and the use of time domain in VLF technology. Their higher frequency FBS signal is weak though, which led to its overlooking smaller gold and micro jewelry. That alone should tell you that a full band up to 100khz is not a reality. So with that as a backdrop, I would be more skeptical of the claim that Multi-IQ "uses" 5 frequencies simultaneously. There's not a definitive answer on that from independent testing yet. It is as likely that the best 2 or 3 out of five are utilized by each mode, or that they are engaging in more marketing manipulation regarding harmonic transmissions. One thing is almost certain. The transmissions are far more likely to be sequential than strictly simultaneous like the V3i.

antigrav1117 said:
Multiplexing.
"multiplexing (sometimes contracted to muxing) is a method by which multiple analog or digital signals are combined into one signal over a shared medium. The aim is to share a scarce resource. For example, in telecommunications, several telephone calls may be carried using one wire. Multiplexing originated in telegraphy in the 1870s,
The multiplexed signal is transmitted over a communication channel such as a cable. The multiplexing divides the capacity of the communication channel into several logical channels, one for each message signal or data stream to be transferred."
Here is a link to more about Multiplexing Multiplexing exsplaned

Frequency-division multiplexing (FDM): The spectrum of each input signal is shifted to a distinct frequency range.
Hum... sounds like that might be what is going on with the Nox?
662px-Frequenzmultiplex001.svg.png

jamesinwesttexas said:
Thanks for the response. I understand that higher frequencies will find smaller pieces. What I don't understand is why the multi frequency using the same higher frequency will not find those smaller pieces. I accept that the single frequency will do better, since Minelab says so. Just don't understand why. Thanks. James

***************************************************​

[size=large]Hello James.

I once wrote an article in the early days of 'multi-frequencies' to try and convey the 'effectiveness' of single frequency versus multi-frequencies.

It compared the effect of shooting an elephant with a shotgun (multi-pellets, [multi-frequencies]), and a rifle (single-bullet, same weight of lead [single frequency].)

The point of the analogy being; that the shot-gun stands a better chance of finding the target, but with less force, compared to the bullet, which carries more energy.

Of course, the rifle's effectiveness require accurate aim....[ the correct frequency for the target's 'parameters] ...mass, shape, and conductivity..[/size]

[size=large]There are more factors to be considered for a comprehensive understanding of the total comparisons...but I won't complicate what is intended to be a simple answere…..matt.][/size]

Got it, love it!! Went out yesterday in a well hunted park and picked up $1.50 in a short time. Found four nickels and they are hard to find.

Got it, love it!! Went out yesterday in a well hunted park and picked up $1.50 in a short time. Found four nickels and they are hard to find.

That would have been my thought also that the multi frequency would deprive the detector of power because of the fact of it usingso many frequencies at once versus one frequency running and all power going to that single frequency

How is it you say the 600 runs Five when it ONLY has 3 modes and works on (5htz, 10htz, and 15htz.) and they can be used individually. The 600 doesn't have 20htz or 40 htz.

The nox 800 has 5 modes and uses (5, 10, 15, 20 & 40htz) 20htz and 40htz are the gold mode and can be used individually. .

Hi all, I am considering getting the 800. my current Minelab is the Safari, it can get a little heavy after a while. Because of its thick handle and the shape of its grip, its a little unbalanced. If anyone has used the Safari and uses the 800 eq, can you tell me Is it comfortable in the hand and on the arm ? Just need a comparison or an unbiased opinion. I still like the Safari, but I had a Whites xlt that felt a whole lot better in hand and on the swing. I gifted that one to my brother. I really like what I see in the nox 800.

Hard question to answer. It would be best to go try out the 800 prior to buying it.
My physical condition (osteoarthritis) prevents me from swinging anything heavy and rotator cuff surgery 12 weeks ago, insures that.
I find that the Equinox 800 is lightweight enough that I can go for several hours on the beach with little problem.
The Equinox seems to have great balance for me but the handle is thick. Not too thick though.
My apologies but I have zero experience with the Safari but did own the Minelab Explorer SE and for me the Explorer was way heavy.
Best of luck!

jamesinwesttexas said:
So if the 600 is using all 5 frequencies in multi, why would you need the higher single frequencies? What advantage does the higher single frequency have over the multi which also includes the same frequency? Why would the single perform better than the multi? Thanks. James

The 600 has 3 frequencies, and the 800 has 5 frequencies. The differences are explained here:
https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/blog/what-is-the-difference-in-the-minelab-equinox-800-and-the-minelab-equinox-600-metal-detectors/

Thanks tin can, its my understanding that the safari and explorer are basically the same size and weight. The only difference is the safari is a newer model. I dont want to be misinformed or even give misinformation. If I am wrong somebody please enlighten me. Ron

Maybe a stupid question but can anyone tell me how to waterproof the equinox 800?
Can I plug the waterproof headphones in and go? Don't the charging pins require a cover?

Thanks,

Regards, Kossie

Kossie said:
Maybe a stupid question but can anyone tell me how to waterproof the equinox 800?
Can I plug the waterproof headphones in and go? Don't the charging pins require a cover?

Thanks,

Regards, Kossie
The charging pins don't require anything special. To submerge your machine you need waterproof headphones there are several kinds available, blue tooth won't transmit underwater. To wade you just plug the headphone jack with the supplied cover. There are other unrecommended combinations but if you swamp your module or blue tooth head phone their done.

bigelow said:
Thanks aprreciated

Kind of Topic but I was laying in bed last night when I was reading through this section of the forum and your reply was down below I almost threw my phone down when I saw your bug running around the corner. LOL