Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox Classroom

laplander

Administrator
Staff member
Just set up the new Minelab Equinox Classroom Forum!! https://www.findmall.com/list.php?108

For those with the new Equinox wanting to discuss technical questions it is located in the resource classroom forum section.

Don't forget to click on the minelab banner above for the latest information from Minelab.

Laplander

https://www.findmall.com/list.php?108

Thanks,

Guvner..

Thanks aprreciated

Million dollar question,how many frequenciues does multi run on?

Joedaddy276 said:
Million dollar question,how many frequenciues does multi run on?
Five on the 800
three on the 600
Click in the banner at the top to go directly to the minelab web to get all the latest news and info Joe.
Laplander

BOth the 800 and the 600 when in Multi use 5 frequencies. The 800 has the additional ability to run 20 KHz or 40KHz as individual solo frequencies. The Minelab page clearly states that when in Multi, both units run all five frequencies at once.

According to Minelab's site: https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/equinox-600

"20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown (5 freq.) applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800."

So in multi, the 600 uses all 5 freqs. as well.

So if the 600 is using all 5 frequencies in multi, why would you need the higher single frequencies? What advantage does the higher single frequency have over the multi which also includes the same frequency? Why would the single perform better than the multi? Thanks. James

The higher in frequency you go, the more sensitive the detector is to smaller pieces of metal (but it is also more effected by the ground matrix as well). Therefore detectors made exclusively for gold run at high (20KHz and above) frequencies.

If you are looking for very small pieces of gold, you'd want to use those higher frequencies, depending upon your environment. From Minelab's manual:

"if you were hunting only for very fine gold jewellery at a
shallow depth, then 20 kHz* or 40 kHz* may give better results in
some detecting environments, such as at a beach on the dry sand."

Thanks for the response. I understand that higher frequencies will find smaller pieces. What I don't understand is why the multi frequency using the same higher frequency will not find those smaller pieces. I accept that the single frequency will do better, since Minelab says so. Just don't understand why. Thanks. James

All the Multi frequency modes are different due to the way the are weighted. With a single frequency all the power is going into that one frequency, whereas with multi the power is split up between the frequencies but not evenly due to the weighting.

Thanks that sounds plausible. I wonder just how good the 600 will be on small gold especially using the smaller coil. Would it outperform any of the other gold machines? Thanks again.

filternozzle said:
All the Multi frequency modes are different due to the way the are weighted. With a single frequency all the power is going into that one frequency, whereas with multi the power is split up between the frequencies but not evenly due to the weighting.

I dont think that is correct. You are assuming all frequency are put out constantly (simultaneously) but minelab has shown that they use frequency cycling with varying delays and timing. I'd bet money that each generation cycle is the same power, regardless of which specific freq its putting out.

Jason in Enid said:

I dont think that is correct. You are assuming all frequency are put out constantly (simultaneously) but minelab has shown that they use frequency cycling with varying delays and timing. I'd bet money that each generation cycle is the same power, regardless of which specific freq its putting out.

You should have a look at: https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-4

jamesinwesttexas said:
Thanks for the response. I understand that higher frequencies will find smaller pieces. What I don't understand is why the multi frequency using the same higher frequency will not find those smaller pieces. I accept that the single frequency will do better, since Minelab says so. Just don't understand why. Thanks. James
[/quot*****************************​

None-technical answer:-

Imaging a child-minder who has to look-after 5 children, all with differing characteristics, and having to sequentially share her devotion on each; then the consequence are time-limited., regardless of their individual 'like-abilities'.

It's all about TIME.

Multi-frequencies is a TIME-SHARING process.

That process has to deal with many variable, the TWO principle factors being the TARGET/s being irradiated by the search-flux....AND.... the 'ARMOUR-PLATED-SOIL' that surrounds them, at various depths...(of THICKNESS and 'TOUGHNESS')

The OPTIMUM-TARGET FREQUENCY for differing targets, in complex soil, is a COMPROMISE.

First, it must penetrate the armour-plating of the soil at whatever target-depth; (being attenuated on its travels.)

Upon arrival at the target, it must optimally penetrate it, an thereby generate a re-active current of sufficient amplitude, to be sensed by the detector's receiver.

So the logic of single frequency is:- It must be that OPTIMUM frequency for that particular location/situation and target; AND the product of efficiency obtained by concentrating the detector's PROCESSING-TIME; ( rather than SHARING less-efficient multi-frequencies-time requirements.).....matt

P.S,

James....The NOX does find the other targets In multi-frequ, BUT it's so designed (limited -to) only report (audibly,) on the DOMINANT target, in a multi-target situations.

The CTX 3030 will visually indicate the presence of ferrous AND non-Fe at the same time....but that will cost you more bucks!