Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth test results reveal sensitivity and gain settings do not increase depth.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

My soil is highly infested with iron , coke , and other ferrous rubbish , in these soil types adjusting the sensitivity up makes little difference like i have said before. In clean ground you get a cm or 2 depth gain by increasing the sensitivity of the machine. Anyway matter closed charles please don't take my posts the wrong way charles nothing is concrete with metal detecting as you know. My SE IS a duffy anyway i am sure.. Its going to be sold at am getting a f75.. happy hunting.......:ukflag:

Rule of thumb :- The diameter of the coil is i have heard the deepest a coin can be detected. 8 inch coil= maximum coin depth 8 inches.
10 inch coil maximun coin depth 10 inches.
12 inch coil maximum coin depth 12 inches.
This is what i read once in a magazine.
The problem is i can only get 4.5 -5 inches on a coin with my 8 inch coil, not sure why... I can get 7 - 8 inches with a 10inch coil.
So this rule of thumb i read may be a little over optimistic:surprised:

I realize some on this thread have limited their maximum depth arguments to "coin-size" targets.

However I've also seen it stated or inferred that the "field" of the coil is set and cannot change. At the risk of staring another flame war, I just wish to point out a few other variables.

First of all, if the coil's diameter was the only thing that affected how deep the detector would pick up a target, I could walk up to my car and be sure that if I held my coil 12 inches away from it (having a 10" coil), I wouldn't pick it up. Now we've all run our machines close to large targets like this and have probably observed that we can pick them up at a depth of several feet (lets say, in all metal mode)! So, the field the coil is generating therefore must be substantially larger than a depth equivalent to the diameter of the coil.

Since that now opens the door for other variables (size of target being the most obvious) then it may be possible, under some circumstances, for the machine to pick up a desirable target at depths exceeding the coils diameter, since we've already proved it can pick up at least LARGE targets at a three feet plus. Using gain, and sensitivity, and adjusting to the area's soil conditions, we allow smaller conductive targets to now show up as a signal. So, yes, we haven't really increased the outreaching depth of the field, but since it may extend out to several feet, so what?! That's plenty for most digging I want to do.

Another factor is what some refer to as the "halo effect". Either you believe that coins buried in some soil matrix's leach out oxides that enchance their target EM field or you don't. I happen to believe SOMETHING is happening based on 31 years of detecting. I've dug too many deep coins whose signals disappear in the hole once they're partially dug (and this "halo" is broken) to think otherwise. The target is at the same depth, before actual recovery. If anything, removing mineralized topsoil from above a conductive target should ENHANCE the target's signal strength. Lastly, of course, there is the coil's actual diameter.

So, to me, the bottom line is, tweaking the gain and sensitivity controls definately allow the operator to increase the depth AT WHICH HE/SHE can HEAR the target being detected under some conditions. The size and conductivity of the target is also a factor, as is how long the target has been buried, and the mineralization content of the soil. The Minelab detectors give the operator the ability to adjust to the optimum settings for any particular site, and therefore INCREASE the depths at which they can hear the targets, within the rather large field the detector is actually generating.

Knipper

You should find as I have, that by increasing the SENSITIVITY with certain settings it does increase the detectors ability to pick up a non ferrous target, that is located next to ferrous target and one that is of a certain dimension that does not overwhelm the size of the non ferrous object. You'll here the iron object only if it does get overwhelmed.

The increase in SENSITIVITY will allow a target to be detected easier when the coil is passed over it. The Explorer seems more capable of separating the targets and alert you that there is something there...BUT........this is not to say that out the field while detecting, these consistencies of the proximity of targets to each other will always exist. You need to be ready to dig a lot

and

gain a reduction in the amount digging you do for objects that sound like iron and dig more often the objects that do no it should like iron NEAR to those iron sounding objects. The increase in the SENSITIVITY will HELP to find the deeper targets that YOU will need to determine if they are worth digging. You may realize that they are by using the:

1.location/s of the cross hair mostly as a guide. I say this 'cause the location of the cross hair and the way it gets placed on the screen is not always going to be 100%. ....but it's still none the less a GUIDE.

2.The tone identification is their as an assistant with targets that might show us as rule book indicators. Great for many targets BUT the deeper targets will need interrogation for reasons mainly because they are in there amongst the low tone iron ones.

3.The depth indicator is the one that I found that needed to be observed and learned when hunting and trying to find the illusive

The less you ask the SE to do the more power so to speak can be used on locating that deep target and giving you an audible signal.