Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth test results reveal sensitivity and gain settings do not increase depth.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I am saying no more about it charles i know what i know and my tests i am confident in. The minelab explorers are set to 95% of maximum user detection depth at manual 22 sensitivity. Now i will go to sleep and be happy knowing what i know. All i can say is remember what i have told you and do your own tests and you will find that what i say is pretty close to the truth. The sensitivity settings are nothing more than a fine tuner to tune out soil mineralisation nulling and sensitivity settings have a small part to play in getting extra depth. YOU WILL NOT GET hardly any DEEPER BY ADJUSTING SENSITIVITY UP OR DOWN.
Also you won't go any deeper in all metal , not even an inch deeper on a coin. I know the truth is hard to believe sometimes..
So what it all boils down to is this = that the sensitivity levels (both semi auto and manual by the way) are nothing more than fine tuners.

I don't mean to be argumentative but I have noticed at least some depth difference between the all metal and discrimination modes. Even if it is just one inch, that can be the difference between recovering a target and walking right over it.

Dave i respect your knowledge and have read your post carefully and its spot on - great post and pretty accurate - great reading and very informative.:cheekkiss: I want to teach you something= I have decided to do further tests on buried iron washers and other ferrous targets to see what effects increasing sensitivity or decreasing it has on deep iron. I also am going to bury a rusty washer which is the same size as a coin i have and see which target the SE will locate deeper - i have a feeling the iron washer may sound off deeper than a coin. My sensitivity will be set a manual 23 now in most search conditions , i will be confident that this setting is the best and deepest setting for coins. Why bother switching it any higher i will get no extra depth all i will get is a less stable detector that goes nuts and starts nulling out on ever thing including coins. You gain no depth at all by cranking up sensitivity. In fresh air maybe sensitivity 31 will give better air depth test but in the ground you would loose depth i have no doubt.
The holy grail sensitivity setting is manual 23.The other 7 numbers that you have available to you IE 24 to 31 will give you NO extra depth not an iota.Yes they may enhance a signal like a fine tuner does in a radio but thats all about it will do.. I bet you cant prove me wrong. try for your self with your own tests and you will see what i tell you is true.

Ohh you have noticed an inch extra depth in your soil then that great.
In my soil i have noticed not a mm of extra depth - happy hunting.

If what you say about sens and depth is true, Is the explorer the king on depth compared to other brands...or is this another subject? I run mine between 18 and 24 so I guess I am safe...more common 18...then 22...if ok and silent 24...XS of course. so, again this being a xs and having 28 frequencys is that any better than 1 0r 2? Can I still believe I have the best all around coin and relic detector? My experience is I can increase response of a scratchy target by increasing sens. when I am detecting low sens. like 12 cause targets are shallow...I hear a scratchy one and can improve it by increasing sens. at least 2-4 higher...but I never check if it ever gets any better by going up to 32 cause whats the point. when I go to a place I know targets are deeper and I forget to change from 12 sens. I run around not hearing much of anything except shallow newer targets...till I relize I am still at 12 from last hunt...I increase sens. to 18-24 and start getting alot more and yes the shallow but now the deeper ones.
So yet with decrease of sens. I am not getting better depth....the detector is recognising them but I just cant hear them...but by increasing sens....now I can hear them? Isn't that what we want?

All I know is I know when to increase and when not to overwhelm it depending on ground and trash content...when something is getting you no where do you keep doing the same thing? Hell no! Thats why I change my approach and experiment...but I do believe it does make a diff. what you have for a setup on sens. etc...otherwise why would I hunt a place and get nothing for a week and then it made me mad and I started to experiment with settings and options...etc...and then bingo! coins happen!!!....

My closing statement is, what you say maybe true or may not be true about it is set to max detection depth, give or take a cm or mm,..... but by changing sens.... or whatever..."I" (meaning me) can make a big diff. in going home skunked or having a good day...If for whatever reason I don't know....I am not a scientist...I can increase or sometimes decrease sens. by 6 or more incriments...it means a big diff....LOL, I yacked too much...hope I made sense...I just can't always say it right.....HH

If the Gain is the only thing that enhances the audio of the target, then M/L needs to do away with the Sensitivity adjustment according to you. :rofl: . OK I am back to lurking. will post later on How my SE did on that bad black sand beach I hunted for 4weeks and how the new 10X14" Excellerator coil did. Later Jerry aka Tinfoil

After digging thousands of targets with this machine I could give you example after example of actual field tests comparing sens 28 to lower sens settings before the target is dug and the deeper targets vanish at lower sens settings. Given your theory how do you explain this?

Charles

Excellent post Charles. I often re-detect areas after I make a few adjustments. I'll do semi-auto then manual, etc. It's amazing what you can miss even with an Explorer but find after making some adjustments. Understanding your ground can go a long way with your Explorer... or any machine for that matter.

-Bill

I would think you would have a better Sensitivity and Depth Test if you had Buried Coins that have been in the ground for at least a Year or so. This would then start to give them a Halo Effect which might just help you see that there is in Fact more than a CM,MM increase in Depth when adjusting the Sensitivity Up or Down. I don't know what kind of Ground Conditions you are doing your test in but here, I can get at least 1"-2" more if you find a Deep Target with a Halo around it. Sometimes I get a Weak Signal and then I adjust the Sensitivity Up or Down, Semi-Auto then to Manual, to try and get a better signal from the Target. Sometimes, Not all the time, but sometimes I get enough of a Signal Increase to know that I am in fact getting more depth when Fine Tuning the detector. I leave my Gain at 10 unless I choose to try and see if there is any difference from what I am hearing from the signal I am working. Your Ground is I am sure different from everyone elses which in turn will lead to different Calculations due to different types and how much Mineralization is in the ground at each location. Still, I find this thread an interesting read and I am glad it was posted. It just goes to show that everyone has different settings that work for them and who has better ground than another. Good Luck and HH.

Last few hunts have yielded a few Buffalo, V and war nickels, a couple indian head cents and a mercury dime. Too hot this morning, I might try to get out later today for a while.

Guess that about covers it as every experienced Explorer user knows better...Gosh I would like to know what your feelings are on the other multiple settings..or then again perhaps not as its a waste of thread on the forum...

I got a nice repeatable, fairly deep, coin hit at sens of 28 so I ran the sensitivity down to #1 and totally lost the signal.
I kept running the sens up till it was around #6 and it started barely chirping a little.
I kept running the sens up till it was around #12 and it was hitting "fairly good".

It was a penny down around 7 to 8 inches.

Rusty nail nulls are sticky, the Explorer doesn't like to let go of them so its like detecting in a sticky goo of rusty nail nulls with iron notched out. Couple that with nails casting a signal out along their length, sometimes several inches beyond the end of the nail and they can pollute a big area with an iron null. Then consider that rusty nails are by far the most common trash target in my area. I play the odds, most times I get a far better signal when I allow iron in versus notching it out. In testing some decent signals vanish when I notch out the iron. Try it both ways in your area and see what I mean.

Settings do not affect depth. Settings simply allow soils of different types to be worked a little better. Depth is just about pre set with your explorers , you can turn down the sensitivity and loose the ability to hear a signal yes. But no matter how much you adjust any single setting on your explorer you will get hardly any deeper at all.
I am apologise if this is hurting the ego's of some you pro's but the only way to get an inch extra depth is to buy bigger coils. Like i said before my team of electronic design engineers (ex Sony) have back engineered the explorers and have tested them fully. One guy has even built a clone explorer circuit board with chips available from Texas instruments. The circuitry is nothing special and fairly easy to duplicate!..:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

nobs-tn.jpg

n/t