Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth test results reveal sensitivity and gain settings do not increase depth.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Captainbottletop's more memorable quotes...

Wow are these pinpoint probes from sunray expensive! Why the massive cost for just a coil of wire and a switch? Massive profit for the lucky guy who makes these !

Here's a good example of you having no clue what you are talking about. Have you ever built one of these probes? I'd would guess not or you would have an appreciation for how labor intensive and time consuming they are to assemble. I had a distributor ask me to build a competing probe and I said 'hell no'. 20 soldered connections in tight quarters. Precision drilling upper shafts and switch housings. I wouldn't swap one of these probes to another machine for less than $100 let alone build one. What do you feel is a fair profit, $5 an hour?

You also have no clue as to the value of these probes to the user. It was the best money I ever spent on an accessory and I think the vast majority of X1 probe users would say the same.

Finally, try to exhibit a bit of class. Sunray sponsors this website. Badmouthing the sponsors who pay to keep the site up and running for our enjoyment is in poor taste. If you have a beef with Sunray's pricing then grow a pair and call up Ralph and tell him directly.

Any detector user who has dug hundreds or thousands of holes over the years should not need such a contraction as this stick on a rod pinpointer. A cheap pinpoint probe works just as well and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Try to find 3 X1 probe users who agree with you, good luck!

If you have a bank account stuffed full of money then buy an explorer. Its a good detector yes. A fantastic detector no. worth the money - no.

So why are you hanging around the Explorer forum if you feel the machine is not worth the money?

I no longer metal detect as my area and sites are worked out, I am thinking of moving away to better area, otherwise i am quitting the hobby and selling detector

Okie dokie then.

Good luck to the others who post on here who find rings and silver coins because all i keep finding locally is foil , iron and pull tabs

Maybe you have the descrimination setup backwards? How's that for a sense of humor. :D

After reading about your results you discovered Mr. depthtester, I
decided to test out what you have found. I tried this out at the beach
after(Barry)blew through. My results where different than what you
have found. I had my wife help me out with this too,more on that in a
sec. First,I set the settings on my SE to 16 for sensitivity. Second,
I set gain to 5. Third,I used the factory presets:fast-off,deep-off.
Last, I also ran factory presets for everything else for the most part.
I then started my hunt by selecting an area about 40-yards long by 10-yards wide on wet sand. I had my wife follow me in my search pattern
with a stick to draw a line behind us as we went along. This ensured
that I would keep the area I just hunted for my next test.
During this test,I recovered 6 pennys,one dime,a lead sinker,and modern
trash. Most of these items recoverd where not to deep.
For my second test, I changed the SE settings with recovery at fast-off,deep-on. Sensitivity I set at 24. Gain I set at 8.
All the other settings I kept the same.
I then started my second hunt on the very same spot I started.I went very slowly and overlaped,making sure I didn't miss a spot that I already hunted on my first test, following the drawn lines we marked in
the dirt earlier. I simply became amazed of what I found over my second
hunt! I recovered 4 more pennys,a dime,a nickel,and a match-box-car.
I also recoverd 6 more pulltabs and a top of a can along with a few
other items of junk. Most of these recoverd items sounded off where just
audible to my earphones too! The biggest shock to me during the second
test is that one of the pennys I recoverd was about 5 inches from a
dime I found from my first test! Needless to say I was in awe after
that because I know my coil was over that looking to see if there was a
coin spill from my first test hunt.
After what I found from my testing,I beg to differ!
In my opinion,the SE settings does what it suposed to do!
Just one more thought,maybe the halo effect had something to do with
this. I realy don't know,but something happen!

Good luck,and happy hunting!

The guy's who make the pinpoint probes might not make vast profit but the greedy dealers will probably get rich selling these items, how come i can buy a LCD TV packed full of electronics for the same price i pay for a coil of wire with a switch on. Hey stop kidding me - the guy who makes the probe probably has more money stuffed under his floorboards than does bill gates and so do the people who sell em on:angry:. As for your quotes well yes i agree i have found a lot of rubbish with my SE maybe thats because it was faulty when i bought it , or to be more precise the coil was faulty. My ring collection by the way is locked a way in bank vaults , most found with ancient c- scope analogue detectors. Coins well i have found 10000 coins easily since starting out. :tongue: Located jam jars crammed with gold coins. Happy hunting DUDE

SO... if I understand this thread, the Explorer detects at full detection power/depth all the time. Increased Sensitivity & Gain settings enhance the already detected (but weak non-audible) deep signals that otherwise would not be heard and amplifies them to a point which they CAN BE heard thus, creating the perception of "incresed depth".

Ahhhh... isn't that just "Smoke and Mirrors"??? If a target is heard at a greater depth because one increases the Sensitivity and/or Gain then in all reality... it's improved detection depth! Afterall, you can't dig it if you don't hear it, right?

Spot on - settings give a perceived detection depth. Depth on all detectors is fixed. Your control panel of settings allows you to adjust how you hear these targets. All i am saying here is that you are basically given your max depth on a plate and its up to you how you eat it!.. happy hunting .......

The guy's who make the pinpoint probes might not make vast profit but the greedy dealers will probably get rich selling these items

Wrong again. Dealer markup on Sunray products is rather slim.

how come i can buy a LCD TV packed full of electronics for the same price i pay for a coil of wire with a switch on.

Come on, get a brain. The LCD TV's are made in China and like countries by the millions e.g. economy of scale.

Hey stop kidding me - the guy who makes the probe probably has more money stuffed under his floorboards than does bill gates and so do the people who sell em on.

Call him up and ask him instead of badmouthing the guy on-line hiding behind your screen name like a coward.

My ring collection by the way is locked a way in bank vaults , most found with ancient c- scope analogue detectors. Coins well i have found 10000 coins easily since starting out. Located jam jars crammed with gold coins.

You are a legend, I'm surprised you have not been featured on the Discovery Channel.

:pulltab::pulltab::pulltab::pulltab::pulltab::pulltab::pulltab:

Sensitivity and detection depth

The changes caused by the target are small, so sensitive electronic circuits are needed to detect the changes which occur when a target is present. The transmitter coil requires considerable power and the nature of the transmitted signal must be controlled precisely to detect small changes in the receiver coil output due to nearby targets.

Closely related to sensitivity is the detection depth. It is desirable to be able to locate targets deep under the ground. Usually the diameter of the coil is the major determinant of detection depth

Oh by the way... I love my X-1 probe and would not trade it for the world!!!! Thanks Ralph @ Sunray for a fine product! (I actually own two of them - X-1 & DX-1)