Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A cowboys new direction in life..................

of men, and women out on the roads these day on big touring cruiser 's. Its a very addictive hobby and sure gives one the feeling of getting back a little of our youth. I ride about every day. Its a short season up this way. We wait for the rains to get the sand off the roads around here in the spring.

Yamaha is a great machine and very dependable. Doing most of your own work saves you a lot of money and lets you learn the in's and outs of your machine. If you don't have one consider a good service manual. They are available on ebay in on CD's are very good prices. I got mine for my road bike for $10.00 bucks. Its a 500 page tech service manual and it shows everything that the shop guys get to see in excellent detail. And its easy to just print up the page or two you need to take out with you. If you get grease on it who cares., just print another.

Here we ride about every night to some ice cream shop. Anywheres from 10 to 45 miles away. At times, there may be up to 250 bikes there. Other times just a few. Tuesday nights is our big night in Rhode Island, thats the 250 bike one. Mostly Harleys, but also all the other bikes also, just not as many. Funny, last week this big dude was there, dress in the biker outfit, well built man, and as he comes up to order, he ask for a maple walnut cone with sprinkles. Well, I fell off the picnic table laughing. What so funny he asked. I said you have to see it from my angle, here you are, one mean looking sucker, and you order a cone with sprinkles, it just struck my funny bone. He started laughing as did everyone one... Really its way different than it was. Here at least, its a older, well off crowd, with a few extra bucks to spend and both husband and wife really enjoying it. The dress the part a lot of them but a nicer bunch of people would be hard to fine. All wave while riding on the big rigs, and will stop to chat or help another rider.

Be glad to talk bikes with you anytime. My is the same color as yours and also a cruiser my by Victory in Wisconsin. About the only American made bike right now. My is set up like yours with the bags, windshield, floorboards and I have the stage One kit on it which is better exhaust, K & N air system, fuel injected, and the programable chip to match it all. Its the 92 V twin, oil cooled 1507cc . More than enough power with 2 up and the big hills up north here. 5 gallon fuel tank gives me plenty of range with out a lot of stops.

Congratulations on your new found freedom. It sure works for me and lately its what keeps me sane in whats been a hard year here.

Ride safe my friend and keep the shinny side up.

Here are a few pictures of mine. George-CT

de-stress yourself. I would bet Rhode Island would be a wonderful place to ride, too! Beautiful bike! Great photos! :)

Yes, you are correct in that your bike is probably the only true American built bike...I hear tell that the Harley has lots of parts from China on it, but I do not know for sure.

I added the Mustang seat and the "Hard Krome" pipes and have ordered a MaxAir air box kit last week. This is a solid bike and should serve my purpose for distance riding.

You have lost me with your statement that some wear clothes for the part? I wear boots with hard rubber soles, then my jeans with a normal denim shirt, gloves and helmet. I carry a John Deere cap in the saddle bags and I put it on when I stop for gas or to take a rest. I am fixin to get another helmet, paint it John Deere green color and put the John Deere decals on it that Cierlast sent to me.

I do not know anyone down here that has a motorcycle and thus I ride solo at this time. I will normally stop at some ice house for gas and some ice tea to drink while I take a break for a few minutes. It feels great to have some of my freedom back. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

and riding the back roads around here...seeing new out of the way places. I still visit with my friends at the feed store, and I still see my horses on a regular basis. I do not think that I will ever stop missing that part of my life and I still have the cowboy in me and probably always will.

You best be careful in telling me that Benton, Arkansas is not that far away...you never know! Linda, thanks for reading my story and for the support, it is much appreciated. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Most of the club guys I run with are dirt riders also so they use that gear or like you wear dungrees, boots and shirt. The more solid Harley crowd, its what ever Harley puts out. Its big business here. Fact there cloths line brings in a good percentage they tell us of there yearly profits. None of it is cheap with that name on it or anything else for that matter. They have the following and take full advantage of it. From what they tell us here, most of the Harley riders are pretty well off in the job market and educated. Not like it was back years ago. They have the money to spend and dress the part of the old bad biker, but only with the real nice leather. Usually black boots, black pants, black vest or shirt, or jacket and leather tie on cap, and gloves. Some got to have on $800 bucks in threads. I like the leather if winter riding but its to hot in summer for me. I ride T shirt in summer. Not good if you go down, but like I'm sure you do, I ride defensively, figuring each car will pull out in front of me, or run and intersection. I ride quite a distance ahead of myself in populated areas or cars on the side of the roads that might open a door into you. I always where a helmet and keep a hat in the saddle bags to put on when stopped. Not as much hair as I once had so head gets burned all day in the sun. Most of my friends I ride with have anywhere from one to 4 Harleys and most of them pretty new or brand new. Then they dress them up even more. No problem having 40 grand in them. You can get a new touring Vic for half that fulled dressed, nothing needed but rider. Victory parent company is Polaris.
We raced a lot of Yamaha bikes over the years, quads also. Good stuff.

I still find it hard to put he bike away. I really enjoy riding. I like it on the cooler side for most part. Here in summer, we like to go out about 5 in the evening and ride till dark. I really enjoy the fall smells be it apples, leaves, cow barns, pine stands etc. They have a lot of bike rides here for different things, usually to help kids or some other cause. Fact, there were 5 going on today with in 50 miles of me, with one leaving here for Mystic,Conn at Mystic Pizza. Most are donation rides to help out someone. Also quite a few Patriot guard Riders in this area being so close to the Sub base and National Guard bases. There have been about 6 rides this year for them.

We ride out bikes pretty hard so they get miles on them. Mine is a 2003 with 18,500 on it right now. Here few of the Harleys have high mileage and usually less then 3000 miles. Most are garage queens that get waxed weekly and ridden short distances for food stops. Oh, just about 3 miles from me is a biker bar called the Bac-door. They served great food and every Sunday, until the end of September they have a BBQ cookout for $1.00 a plate. No fooling, most any Sunday there are around 1200 bikes there. Mostly Harelys. Somme really tricked out bikes there. Works of arts a lot of the custom bikes. The guy has the food, but does very well on drinks and other food. I go from time to time but prefer to ride all day rather than hang out and talk about it. Fact I'm mounting a new set of dunlaps Classic Cruiser tires this week myself. I like the white walls as I have the spoke wheels and the look good, at least to me they do, but no fun to keep clean. Hard to get at them with the dual brake rotors, and the rear exhaust in the way. I found and easy way. I put two nylon slings on the frame and pick it up level with the backhoe bucket. Works perfect, chest hight, easy to do wheel changes, brake pads, and oil changes while standing up.

Ok, bent your ear enough. Ride safe..........George-CT

i hope you and deb move back to the country and you ditch the bike.i know an ATV isn't a horse but if you get get out and ride on your own property and away from the impatient knuckleheads on the hiway you'd be better off.it would also be a good place for you to stretch out and when your grandson get a few years older he could come out and ride with grandpa.

you know most things in life get boring,except maybe the things you love,and you love horses and working cattle but now your a bit limited to do those things.i don't know how many acres you had before moving to town but i think being hemmed with close neighbors is getting to you.i hope you can get back to some of the things love:thumbup:.

I appreciate your concern, but please be assured that I do not take riding this motorcycle lightly. I drive in a defensive manner and do very little city driving. I do not live very far from the city limits and it is very easy to reach the farm and market roads in the area. I try to avoid the major highways, but I have had to ride on IH 10 a few times.

No, being hemmed in by close neighbors is not getting to me...I just do not like the life style of living in the city. David, I have kept a smile on my face from day one, and made the best of the situation because I knew that sooner or later I would figure out a way to make things better. I have never been a "can't do" person and have always maintained a positive attitude. I think that many of my posted statements will show that I have a tendency of "poking" fun at life, as I am not one to sit around feeling sorry for myself. Life has been good to me and I have no regrets. David, always remember that a happy person knows how to laugh...and never finds fault with the events that he has no control over.

Yes, we are talking about moving back out to the country, but lots of thinking has to be done first. Our house is fully paid for...we have clear title to it. I have to consider what is best for Debbie...you must remember that she was originally from the city. As far as I am concerned, what is best for me is at the bottom of the list. Our grandson lives three miles from us and we see him almost every day...what if we live 50 miles out of town? Another question that has to be answered, is Debbie considering moving back out to the country because of her love for me and is she disregarding what is best for all concerned. Like I said, lots of things need to be fully discussed before we can make a decision like this. Regardless of the decision that we reach, I will still have that smile on my face and will continue to be thankful that I have been blessed with a good family and friends. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

its the best for you and your family and a place that you only have to pay taxes on is a good thing.there aren't many good looking teachers in the country:).it can be more noisey in the country than in the city if you get in the wrong spot.good luck fred for you and deb,i mean that.

is a great web site and forum for you bike called Star Riders Association. Link is http://www.star-riders.org/ Its free and there is a wealth of information on your bike and plenty of people to help if you have a problem. I belong to one for the Victory also and spend a lot of time in there getting and giving information. Lots of good tips on these sites.

George-CT

I have owned a bunch of those things and maybe I am over them. I cannot deny that I have had a lot of fun on each of them--and met a lot of good people along the way.

There is no guarantee of tomorrow and we must make the most of what we have, my friend. Personally, I am really glad to hear you stepping out and making a change. I have often thought of the sub-surface feelings I have sensed in your stories.

It will take a while, but get used to it until it is just an extension of yourself. That may take upwards of 6 months or so; then you'll be ready for the open road. I never had a serious accident although I have avoided a couple, for sure. The memories I have of riding are some of the best!

I doubt that I'll ever get another bike. I just have other things to do and biking was just something I once did.

I'm so glad that you're getting out of the hum-drum of city life. San Antonio is really something special, but it's not the 'country.' The next thing to living in the country is going to the country. I really hope you are successful in moving back to the country. We only have ten acres, but we are happy in living out in the open without the issues of cantankous neighbors.

It makes me feel good that my friend is feeling better and not settling for second best. I really wish you could get back in the true saddle again because I know that's where you're happiest. But I am thankful to the good Lord that you have made strides to reclaiming your life. Life is much too short to expend it with meaningless existence. We need to LIVE while we can and strive for quality time with our Lord, family and friends. Then if there's time to do the piddly things like yard work, then (sigh) I reckon it's okay to do that.

Have a lot of fun on the iron horse. Your story is a good one that made me take a breath of fresh air.

I too, will be taking another direction in 15 months and 20 days (who's counting). I hope, should I live so long, to make the best of each and every day. Thanks for writing and letting us know how our favorite cowboy is doing and what he is up to.

Now. Go get Debbie's valium prescription refilled. :lol:
Be blessed and be safe.

Yore buddy,

aj

"Make every day a masterpiece." (this sign is on my desk at work. Sometimes I'm better at it than others, but I earnestly try every day)

I have to look away. You guys re tryin't to gimme the FEVER again.

I'll have to go ride my Trail 90 to get over it. :lol:

aj

Great looking bike too !! I tend to think you're gonna love the experience. Life is meant for living and the feeling of freedom riding a motorcycle is something I kind of miss myself (had a Honda 750 about twenty-five yrs. ago). I'm really happy for you Fred and I agree with you about the yard and house scenario.......it's starting to get old for me as well. Been running the gauntlet lately with my two youngest in university now. Their classes are scattered throughout the day and we're trying to find our wheels here as far as rides back and forth and whatnot are concerned. We'll get it sorted out. My apologies to everybody for the extended absence.......hoping to catch up on the stories soon, perhaps even tonight (fingers crossed). Anyways Fred, that's a beautiful choice you've made there and I say "go for it" !! Tell Debbie that you're expecting her to get a few tattoo's now too.:lol: Gotta take one of my girls back to school again......hope to see you all tonight.

You Canadians are smart folks and come up with some of the neatest ideas! I never thought of getting a tattoo, but now that you mention it, many of the bikers do have them. I could get one put on my upper arm, and then when I went to church on Christmas and Easter, I could wear a long sleeve shirt and no one would know that I had it, right? I am going to tell Debbie about it when she gets home from the grocery store, and rest assured that I will give you credit for the idea...she may want to give you special thanks! Rob, thanks for the great idea, let me think about it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

The Indian flute music is some of the most beautiful music that I have ever heard. One of these days, maybe this winter, I may sit down and try to make one...I think it would be fun.

Arkie John, all that I can really say is that city living is different than what I have been accustomed to, but you do what you have to do and make the best of it. I just kept that smile on my face and moved forward in facing life's challenges. I realized that I had much to be thankful for and that what happened to me was not the end of the world...I still have a lot of things to do in life. I still go out to the feed store and drink coffee with my friends, and I still go to a few auctions with a friend or two...they are still a part of my life and always will be.

Thanks for the kind words, and please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Sometime this evening I will take a look at it. When I first bought the motorcycle, I looked up some web pages on the Internet but I do not remember if this was one of them or not. I should have put them in my "favorites" list at that time but for some reason I did not. Again, thank you. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

They were fun out in the woods. We had a couple of them and the old Hodaka Super Rats, also a 90cc. That had to be rugged to survie my 5 kids and me. We were always picking up old bikes and fixing them. At our dirt bike clubs a lot of the guys have the old stuff like that they have picked up and restored. Fact this weekend we had a display at our motocross club and had a Super Rat there, let me see if I can find it and post it here for ya.........

Yupe, here it is....The old Hodaka Super Rat in the rear and my old Bultaco Ice racer I run here in the winter on the lakes.

The second one is my buddy on a mini Chopper he built from a Honda 90 engine. He chromed it all out and rides it at the races as a Pit bike. We race these little bikes alot just for fun. All older guys like me, 65, just having fun while we still can. The to big rigs are guys I ride with.. A new harley and Susukie... If you click on the mini chopper twice, you will see he made a little Springer front end for it that works.

After all these years, I still can't get away from playing around with bikes. It gets in your system and hard to remove it. I'm amazed at all the older people out there cruising around on big road rigs.

George-Ct

As a reward for good grades in 6th grade my dad got me a Honda mini trail 50 , Yellow and White ..... and a sparkly Red Helmet.....with a back yard of 25 acres I had a good place to ride , and soon had a following of the neighborhood kids to watch and asking to ride . Well the next thing I know my uncle was standing with all us kids watching us as we each took a ride and he asked if he could take a ride ..... :surprised: ... now you got to understand I was a little bit scared of him in that he did not talk to much to me and add to the fact he was 6 ' 6 and built like a barrel . I now understand a lot more than I did then he had a career as a Police officer and made the rank of Sargent and then changed over to the Fire Department and retired as Chief, .... so it was with some reluctance on my part to let him take a ride if he was 300 lbs he was and ounce.
The helmet did not fit him so he easily stepped around the small bike and sat down after a quick explanation by me on how it worked and what levels and such did what he slowly started to ride off .....

Only to have the bike kick out from under him and send him flat on his back with the bike roaring at full speed kicking up and down between his legs as he held it out away from him as he lay flat on his back ... .... :surprised::yikes: Well all us kids ran up to him and quickly got the bike away from him and asked if he was OK ....he was and he quietly left us to continue riding .... this and two crashes made a big enough impact on me to know I will not be a rider .... one crash was I tried to cross one of the ditches out in the field only to stall it in the opposite bank and land with the bike in the water , it did not help I still had my school clothes on and new shoes ..... the seconded crash was a freshly plowed part of the field and a missed gear shift that had me bouncing for a short time in 3rd gear until one bounce set me in one direction and the bike in the other and if I had not had my helmet on I would have had a good knock on the head from the handle bar, as it was it bent them up good to the point they needed to be replaced . I did not ride much after that and soon out grow the bike and it was passed on the my little brother ....of no fear ....he had it less than one summer before it was a basket case and in pieces down in the cellar for many years .

About 5 years ago in a fit of cleaning I gave it to a friend who at the time was looking for a Honda mini trail 90.... He in turn started to repair it and found that it was to rich for him to repair and gave it to his friend and current owner of the local Honda Motorcycle Shop ..... The owner had his crew work on restoring it to show room condition and it now is on display along with other collector bikes in the back room I was able to find the owners manual and other paper work from when my dad purchased it from his dad back in the early 70's along with the rare back tail light assembly . this part was one of the first things to be broken and loss on these bikes granted it was not in grant shape having been left out in the weather and other abuses but still very repairable ...
Bill G.
Sorry for the long wind but the fingers felt like tapping the keys tonight ...

as a complete story on it's own. This is a good story that you just wrote as a reply to my posted story and it should be shared with the rest of the Forum! Thanks for posting it, I like it! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Honda ATC 90 with the oversized rear sprocket which geared it down to about 25 mph wide open in 4th gear. But, I tell ya what! You could hook that little beast up to a house trailer and it would pull it if you could get enough traction:rofl: I used it for many years at work toting myself and equipment up and down the mountain top sites I have to get to. If you were brave enough, (or stupid like me) you could even ride it on packed snowmobile trails!