Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Years of Fishing Trips-1-2-3-4-5-6-7

when many men fished for the market and all they had were cane poles that they would not set the hook at all on pike. THey would see the pike take the mennow and just lift the pole slowly and the pike would swim right up to the boat with no fight at all. Then they would net them. Of course the fish would go into the net and then the boat fresh and beat the crap out of the inside of the boat. They had a club to cold cock the sucker. Now they did this to save their fishing tackle and they did nto want to fight them, they wanted to catch them.

Now I wanted to test this. I cast a Rapalla out and let it set. I did this on more than one occasion. I would wiggle it and when a big pike would hit it I would not set the hook. I would just let it run a ways and then start applying pressure slowly to the fish. The darned thing would slowly swim right up to the boat, EVERY time. I would not have to fight the dang then. Until I got it in the boat. A big one would beat hell out of the inside of the boat and it is funny as heck to see, if you are not the one trying to subdue the dang pike.

It works but isn't worth the effort. Too much work

[attachment 29056 Ravine-Lake.jpg]

One year, it was in the spring, a group of us headed for White Lake. That lake can get so rough in bad weather we decided to camp in a sheltered area. Just to the north of One Eye Bay was a long cut, seen on the map and it led to Ravine Lake. This lake is just what its name implys, a long and narrow ravine..

The beginning of the lake is where the blue dot is. We figured that if we camped there we would be able to fish no mater how much the wind blew and it could sure get rough.

One morning we saw four guys on a big pontoon boat come in the cut. We went out to talk to them and they said they had spent the night in One Eye Bay because the big lake got so rough that it almost flipped the pontoon boat!! The pontoon boat was a fairly large one with two 35 hp Johnstons on it! Man it had to be rough out there! We hardly noticed it back where we were camped. I remember one day we were looking back toward One Eye Bay from our protected bay and something looked odd. We could not figure what it was we were seeing but decided to investigate.

A couple of us hopped in a boat and headed out to look it over. As we neared the chanel we could see that it was huge waves we were seeing. They were coming across the opening

n/t

Why was Ravine Lake considered a different lake than White Lake? From the map it appears to be just a long, long inlet from the main lake.

Goodness, ten to fifteen feet waves would be like a tidal wave to me. It is a shame that they did not have digital cameras back in those days so that you could have taken some pictures.

Did you ever figure out why your compass spun around and around in that certain area? That is kinda spooky, almost like the Bermuda Triangle thing!

Back to the bear...did they say how large it was? I wonder how they managed to sleep at night with a bear trying to break into the cabin for the sole purpose of inflicting bodily harm to them.

These have been some good stories, thanks for posting them. Feel free to inject some more bear incidents in the future stories you post about the fishing trips. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

There was an old logging camp right at the little gap between the two lakes. Heck the water was only about three feet at the gap and some times it was hard to get your boat through. Full of rocks. Once you got thorugh it was clear sailing all the way to the end.

There were several buildings of log construction there, one pretty big. The last time I was there there was not much left an the forrest had taken over.

I imagine the compass spun like that becasue of an iron ore deposit right there.

I have many memories of that lake

n/t

Now like I said we were camped a the narrows where White Lake and Ravine Lake met. W were camped in an old lumber camp and there were a lot of junk around including old trash piles and such. I was not much interested in relics back then but sure wish I had paid more attention to what I saw.

As I have been thinking about it I remember that this year I was with my cousin Terry, who is a barber in Oscoda Michigan and his best friend Norm. They had done a bit of fishing but this was their first trip to Canada.

I remember one day in One Eye Bay. It was a great day and the weather was just perfect. The water was high and the woods were flooded. This lake was an impoundment and I honestly didn

every sunday night I log and read about your fishing from years ago. I have been wanting to ask some questions but got it answered tonight. Allways wondered how you could camp for so long without "ICE". We sho did some very dangerous thingys when we were that age. I have had to spend nights before on the far shore because the waves were too big for my small boat....that is when and where I learned to eat sardines and twinkies as the bread.

As far as that bear was, he would have died the first night he scratched on my door of a old cabin.

and that big pike? a loaf of bread wide? u dun been in that goat ropers piZZ aagain have u not?

I used to drink miller's lite years ago and left it alone when it started pickling my brains, curling my toes, making my teeth itch and I told lies one right after another.

Now I see what your problems haz bin all along.......MILLER LITE, will make u talk like a squirrel

butch...ar[attachment 29171 airitout.jpg]

I kinda wish that big fish had not gotten away, would have been nice to see it hanging on your wall. These are some great fishing stories, thanks! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

you will always be part of my fimily buddy. Even if you only visit occasionally.

Fishing trips are some of my fondest memories. I don't fish much any more but miss it.....

Come back home any time you want to :super::super:

Awesome stories ! And you can keep "boring" me for as long as you feel like writing about your fishin' trips because I love reading them. Great stuff. BTW, I'm mailing that package to-nite. If you'd rather it got sent to your other place, send me that address. It's all the same to me !

n/t

Like I said, Terry, Norm and I were camped at the old lumber camp at the opening going into Ravine Lake. It was a nice camp site and well protected. No matter how the winds raged on the big lake we could find a place to fish.

We saw a lot of game too. Moose were common as were beaver and otter. Loons were heard calling every evening on almost every lake I ever camped on. There is nothing like the mornful call of a loon on a glassy lake in the evening. The sound carrys for ever.

Terry had a thing for bears. He worried about them all the time. I did all I could to help the boy too. I would clean the fish and then yell,

gud thang, u did not stab yur self in the heart----lol

a man will eat anything when he is hungry, larve attached or not---hunger brings out the clubs and cave man ways but I allways knew you were very primitive but I have never carried on talking with them squirrels the way u so do----

man, u kneed to change up your BEER and quit drinking that deer beer...lol

But you sure had to be chuckling inside. The way I see it, that's what friends are for. And the odd adversary too !:biggrin: As for those batter dipped taters and rotting dogs, well, what's the old saying....oh yeah....you are what you eat !! :rofl: Another great read Royal !!