Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Vaquero or Cibola?

Hey, no hard feelings! This is all about a hobby anyway, right?

Since I haven't hunted everywhere I don't know about these special soils that Tesoro can't work. Maybe I'll meet up with the likes of them someday. So far, everybody I know of in Michigan is killing with these machines. Some were once devoted to the other top brands.

Oh well, maybe we're wrong and Tesoros really are rather shoddy. I don't really care just as long as the coins and relics keep piling up :clapping:

By the way, I haven't made my way to the Whites thread yet. Are they as "pointed" there about Whites as they are here on the Tesoro thread about Tesoros :laugh:

The Nautilus is a great machine and a friend usually does a number on me against my Cibola. Part of that is because he has used it for ten years, and I've used my Cibola for a short time. The other part is it's just a super machine. BUT.......in hot ground like Fredricksburg, Virginia, it's almost unusable. Can't detect a bullet at 2", and my preset GB Cibola just keeps gettin' it. All machines have their plusses and their minuses.

I didn't want it to appear that I was promoting other brands on the Tesoro forum. But I am a Tesoro user, so mentioning my other detectors should be alright...The best detector for my bad ground is the Minelab Advantage..I will also make a point of saying I am NOT a Minelab man, so to speak.. The Minelab Sovereign was one of the worst performers in my dirt. In all metal it would signal iron everywhere, in disc. with iron knocked out, it would null out over the ground and couldn't see thru the mineralization at all.. I haven't owned an Explorer but have hunted with a guy that uses one. It did not impress me enough to want to buy one..I do not know why the Advantage works so good while others don't, I just know it's the best I've found. I also use a Nautilus DMC IIB, it goes very deep in normal ground. But even though it has a very precise adjustable ground balance, a coil balance adjustment, and a very stable smooth threshold tone, it will not see targets a few inches deep in the bad dirt. Sometimes it's just hard to tell what detectors will do until you actually try them. I don't think you can read any technical specs. and predict which ones will work and which ones won't....still looking for the "perfect" one.... Dave

The one you use has a fairly low transmit frequency. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with better ground penetration.

Have you tried the Fisher 1280x? I think its frequency is even lower at about 2.7Khz.

Dig'n in Va. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At
> least the Nautilus guys know what they're talking
> about.... ;^)...... Dave

Amen Emma! Amen!

The Nautilus is an education in itself, no doubt about that. Still the best machine I own (IIb) for overall performance. Anyone who says it's "for relics only" doesn't know what they're missing. Lots of potential there for those who take the time to learn and understand it.

Ralph

For the most part yes, but again the variables mentioned concerning soil and ground flux play an important part. On any given day you could go into one site, detect the site and even with both of these brothers, one might detect a signal that the other one won't and vice verse. However, generally they both get the same depth which is very good. The best thing and the biggest eye "opener" is taking a nail and a dime and clasping them together, and both will detect the signal without any problem at all. With a top of the line machine that is supposed to be able to "see" through iron- it gives a marginal signal if any or indicates all iron. So doesn't really matter how deep you can go but if you can see what is in the ground. That is the major difference and will save you the one factor that none of us have enough of, and that is "time". Hope this helps!

I don't have a Deleon, I have both the C and V, as well as a bandido- the original as well as TOP OF THE LINE used car's, Oop's- I mean metal detectors that cost much money. And the difference is one can detect in iron VERY well and the top of the line can't. There are literally hundreds of people saying how fantastic brand x is, and the finds are there to show it- but again- if you do a basic test of taking an iron square nail, holding it in your hand or burying it next to a small coin- guess what? The tesoro will hit the coin without any problem at all and the other top of the line machine may produce a signal or may not. I don't like maybe's, as I don't have time to dig to china and only find nails. I prefer digging coins and artifacts with the time I have, and normally there is never enough time if you know what I am saying. Sure other's can bash this or that and thats great- I applaud it! They can bash what I am saying but there are a few things that I have discovered in the past few months using these machines vice others and that is scan the same site that has been producing on as many different days and conditions as possible- as each day your signals will be DIFFERENT. On one day your signals will be marginal and on another day they may come in as clear as a bell without any problems at all. Everyday with climactic changes, pressure gradients changing- i,e- low pressure verse high pressure- can have many affects on the geomagnetic fields. This in addition to all of those frequencies that are floating all around us that we cannot see- (cell phones, electrical power lines, microwaves, and so many others- this has to have a factor at the transmission and reception of the signals and items that we are looking for. Just some thoughts...

The Nautilus machines are fantastic machines from the RESULTS that I have seen from people using them. They are sometimes able to get into area's where others can't. The only problem that I see with them is that they are too heavy. Personally, I normally carry about 20lbs of extra weight with me when I go digging and with that machine, I believe it weights about 10lbs- so that would be 30lbs. When I go digging, I normally get up early in the morning and finish when the sun goes down. No matter how I feel- so the detector arm might begin to hurt a bit after a few hours of swinging. But the Nautilus machines produce results as well. Just my thoughts...

The message from this post is true! We all care about results and that's why I posted what I did. Sure Fishers produce, after much digging of iron. Whites produces, Minelab, every machine produces to a degree. Some soil conditions are better than others and as we all know, sometimes it doesn't matter how deep you go but just to be able to see is the most important thing. In the same site where I did very well, I got a company letter less then 2" deep in a pile of iron and mineralized "soup". The signal was okay, not the best but after removing the soil- it was the first that I had found. Incredible to say the least especially coming from the history behind this site. I want results and for the first time in decades, I am starting to get them. This in addition to other sites is starting to demonstrate this incredibly so.

Each machine from the various mfr's does well in different places. I once pounded a site with other individuals and found a few cuff's and other buttons, while they were producing with there Whites MXT's, map on tree buttons, as well as a GA coat. At the time, I was using a Minelab and did well, but not as good as them. The V and C weren't out at the time, however if they were- those results would have changed big time. The ground was super mineralized and just "bad" ground- but the whites machines did very well.

It would be safe to say that any Nautilus would probably make any other detector owner envious with the finds that they have discovered. Nautilus detectors as well as Whites machines are some of the best in this field. Great machines, great value with the exception of one thing, Warrenties. Other than that- good value.

Dave,

Secret my primary used to be the Explorer and I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of "Bravo's" for this machine. Thats probably one of the reasons why I bought the unit to begin with. However, with one simple test of holding an iron nail, "square-one" and a "coin", dime, quarter, penny, bullet, or whatever in the same hand. Take the machine and scan your hand. The Explorer would read it as a marginal signal while the C and V would hit it every time. Now think of soil conditions and think of the soil matrix. This would magnify the contents of your hand by an infinite number due to hot rocks, magnetite, frequencies that are in the ground and air, geomagnetic pull, and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many other variables- how well is that top of the line machine gonna produce in the real world? Sure it has done well for me and I am not cutting it at all. But, to go into sites where I have used this machine and found marginal items, to research the same site with the C and V, and start getting great results- a difference of night and day. I also own the Minelab Sov and haven't taken it out that much as again, I want results for my precious time. Both the C and V seem to produce where some of these other machines in the SAME, exact sites don't. I can't tell you the details as I am still figuring them out. Possibly the soil matrix changes and each machine is better suited for some types of hunting verse others. However, the C and V- do seem to consistently produce which is what I am looking for. As far as depth is concerned, its important but what is more important is being able to detect the item in the ground- some machines will go over the signal and not read it while others will hit it. Using the same test that I provided earlier, if you can hold an iron nail in your hand, clasped together with a coin, and be able to read that coin and not the nail, then you have a winner of a machine. If your machine produces a marginal signal- will you out in the field dig that signal? If it sounds iffy and all of the other signals that are in this one site are iron or produce a similar sound, will you dig? Or would you prefer that cleaner sound where you know that there is something good, and you know your site is old and the only thing in this site is gonna be from the time period of the artifacts you are looking for? Thats what I love about these machines. As if there is a good signal mixed in with all of the mineralized, ironized- "muck", I love that feeling of knowing I have found something good, instead of the thought, "Hmmm maybe this is a good signal, gee let me dig to China and possibly dig up something good" and maybe finding a great deep target or more than likely to unearth iron that has broken down through time and created a positive "halo" affect. Its all about getting results with the time we have to dig as most of us don't have that much time.

I still own a 1266X and granted I dug up "MUCHO" iron, it still did very well. I just got tired of digging up so much iron, so I switched to the original Minelab SOV; it did and still does very well, however a bit heavy. Then I went to the Explorer and it does very well; however it tends to false a lot in some of the iron filled sites that I go to. With the C and V, if they say something is good, that split-second, clean signal, you KNOW that you have found something good and there is no digging to china to find out if it is good or bad. They are great machines that truly let you know that you have found a keeper and you are right, you have to use what works for you- both of these machines keep working for me and doing what all of the others had promised to do but at a lighter weight, better warranty, and to be able to go into the most mineralized and messed up sites and produce where other machines haven't been able too. Thats what I really like. If the machines signal is good, 9 out of 10 times, you KNOW you have something good. It makes digging that hole so much more pleasurable as you know you will be rewarded for your time and effort.

You have some great points and I am not suggesting anybody do anything, purchase anything, or go out and buy this brand or that brand. As far as trashy area's, the area that I am describing has those factors as well as the other stuff which I have mentioned. Are these machines for Newbies? I can't really say yes or no, I do know that if they spent a few hours on the machine and learned the sounds that they would be finding much more stuff with those machine vice other's. Sure the visual indicators aren't there, but with most of us who have meters and digital readouts on other machines, we primarily dig by the sound. Now, for the biggest and best surprise of all, if you were looking for anything, whether it is coins, relics, or whatever- where is the best place to look for those things? Here is the million dollar answer that will increase your's and other peoples finds by 100%. You dig in the trash. Other machines will not be able to get into those area's or the person will not want to continue to dig up trash. So if you are looking for coins, the best place to look is in a trash laden area that others would give up on. If any place has been pounded through the years, what is one common area that most people really don't and probably won't dig in. That is those area's that are filled with surface trash. They will dig around it, perhaps on the outskirts but not in it. If you search for relics, I found a belt plate less than 2" in a trash laden area. Other diggers had avoided the site so I walked in and started digging up all the trash. Within thirty minutes, I dug a breast plate, 3 eagle buttons and about 30 pull tabs, 10-15 screw-on tops, and my favorite aluminum foil wrappers. As well as beer cans and other junk. So when you dig, always keep in mind that others have probably been in the site as well and you have to figure out where the other diggers wouldn't dig. Once you find that out, just go into those area's and clean up. Its the most easiest way to get some really great finds with minimal effort. But, you can always look for those easier signals and avoid those areas.

n/t

Ha, don't tell anyone but I used to own an Nautilus and the number one reason that I got rid of it is that it used to give me tennis elbow- that is the only reason. Great machine!