Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stories by Arkie John......

Arkie John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Navigating by the North Star

I wrote this story last summer. I don't think I have posted it. If I have, please indulge me.....

Ever since I was a little kid, whenever it got time to go fishin

its funny how people like solitude and companionship,has to be a fine line nobody has figured out,how much you need of each.both solitude and companionshipship bring joy and not so much joy:).i'd forgotten about people putting cedar bushes in the lake to attract crappie.

n/t

[size=large]I took a friend of mine fishing on Lake Ouachita New Year's Eve. It was his first time on "my" lake and I wanted to make it memorable for him. I became fast friends with "Ranger Ricky" while working for the Corps and I have missed him since retiring 30 Sep08.

We decided to striper fish in view of fact that the winter crappie in my favorite part of the lake are very good at scattering and hiding. So we took off, with four hd rods in the water, using 10" shad--two out the back and one port and starboard on planer boards. We were set.

It was cold at first but we put up the canopy and started up the heater and we were snug. (ole-man fishin') Trollin' at .8 mph (so says the GPS) the action was slow, marking just a few fish. But we had good information and had confidence even though this was a new area to fish for me.

At 0945, pandamonium set in when our lies to one another were rudely interrupted with the tell-tale sound of an overheating clicker drag paying out lots and lots of line! ZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz. The hd reel screamed as Rick hoisted the rod out of the holder and made sure the drag was sufficient to make the fish work work. The fish, naturally headed for deep water, but began circling the boat slowly but surely, beginning from the SE and progressed all the way to due west!

For the first five minutes the ole' boy had his way with Rick as I engaged the trolling motor to follow. But then, the pendelum began to slowly swing in our direction. Eventually, Rick gained back some line and we saw the starboard planer board surface and what followed surprised both of us.

Remember the line in Jaws, "You're gonna need a bigger boat?"--Well, when I laid eyes on that fish I thought, "You're gonna need a bigger net." The only thing was, I didn't have that luxury. The oversized bass net was not gonna get the job done--not even.

Rick finally was able to bring the fish to the boat's starboard side. Being very careful of the sharp gill plates, I had no choice but to double gill him. In a kneeling position at the starboard gate, I placed a hand in each gill plate and pulled him up and rolled him over my left thigh and onto the floor. He was a monster! I had only seen fish that big on the wall or in magazines--never living, breathing in front of me.

This fish almost bottomed out my new fancy digital Berkley scales Linda and Scott got Tom and myself for Christmas--When I lipped him with the scales, it showed an amazing 28 pounds and 2 ounces. His length was 44 inches; the girth was over 24 inches. He had scales bigger than a dime and eyes nearly the size of half dollars. I am not exaggerating, folks.

Now, I know this ain't crappie fishing, but a fisherman's gotta do what a fisherman's gotta do when the specks arent' cooperating donchaknow. It was the only fish we caught that day, but what a fish it was. It is not every day a man catches a fish that will go on the wall, but yesterday was the day.

One of Rick's friends is a striper guide on Ouahita and when he took it by to show him, he took several photos, one of which will appear in Fin and Feather's next publication.

So, we ended the old year in S T Y L E, buddy. Now, I have to get back to me crappie fishing. It's funny, but when we had obligated to striper fish, as we were trolling four rods, I noticed crappie stacked up in the channel on three occasions!!! We went back there after we finally reeled in the big tackle and (of course) they had vanished. They were at 25 feet right at the break.

Naturally I remembered this with a well-placed waypoint and will stealthily return in a day or two with crappie gear at the ready.

Thanks for coming along....and Happy New Year! Maybe I'll get to post this some day. <><

aj[/size]

I think the idea of needing solitude has to do with the fact that humans are distinguished from, say, livestock, because they have a soul.

I saw on TV once of how mountain really thrived on the "high lonesome." I think I know where they were coming from although the "high lonesome" was a more prolonged event. After a long day and night of fishing, I am always glad to head the ole' GMC homeward to the love of family and a home-cooked meal.

aj

I never expected to stay so long but I would have missed so much. Right after each sunset, ole' Venus is hanging in the western sky, shining like a beacon. It is particularly beautiful with a pink to colbalt blue to black sky as a backdrop.

Did you get a moose this time around?

aj

But for now, I have cabin fever to the MAX. It has been blowing a steady gale from the NW for three days now.

The pontoon boat will NOT venture out on really windy days. But I DID watch as President Obama took the reigns today. Otherwise I would have been in a Double Bull blind turkey hunting or fishing out of the pontoon. :)

Glad you liked the story. I hope to repeat soon.

aj

to be 64 degrees here on Friday I think. Perhaps we could go lookin' for those crappie! We might even get Lil Brother to take a PDO and go with us. I am just dying to go, but this wind and cold weather is just brutal on me. I am so glad you had such a good time, and I can't wait to see it! Call me! Love you, :)

tonight! Can't wait to be there in person big brother! This was a great story, and just remember. Ruth lies sometimes too! :lol: (It's so good to have you posting again!)

our way, we passed three large trucks with their flatbeds filled with discarded Christmas trees on their way to "Johnboy's Lake" he is referring to. The crappie love 'em, and so do we! :)

n/t

We have trout in there that can go up to 40 pounds..

calm seas

Mikie

maybe not just like that but I have spent many hours on a quiet lake watching the stars. If the fish are not biting? So what? I really miss the fishing. Gills with a flyrod in the spring. Crappies through the ice and bass all summer long. Pike in the spring.

I sure miss the fishing. Maybe I will break out the flyrod this spring and catch some bedding gills. I wish I lived nearer to you guys so I could enjoy some of the wonderful fishing you write about with you.

Your writing just pulls the reader right into the boat with you

To see you posting again my friend! Now when is the fish fry? Actually I would prefer the Crappie.