Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

something may be wrong ?

Thanks to all that gave me helpful hints! And most of all thanks to Whites. I got a call from Jimmy and from an engineer. I just got back from two locations and got the bugs worked out. Whites says yes this machine runs hot in the factory settings. So make (maybe a lot) of adjustments. To try and make a long story short. I adj. the RX gain down along with the Disc. and I went as low as 3 on gain and 55 on disc. and still had problems. But it turns out I only had to adjust gain down to 5 and leave disc. alone. That's way to simple uh? But it worked:clapping: Now there is another factor here that did not come into play today but did yesterday. I apparently was also getting some interference in my area. Maybe aliens from mars sending strange radio waves out, who knows. I talked to someone else that was having similar problems the last two days and that problem is gone today. Whites says this happens in there area also. To adjust for this, a possible solution is to go to the Frequency program and use the frequency offset control. That does work. Now I have to wait till this weekend to hunt. Got to work to pay for this new toy.
Happy Trails Joe

Sorry for one more post but I went to the beach last night and hunted with the factory salt setting. It was great and I loved it for about 1 1/2 hr. then on my walk back up the beach over the same area I just hunted I started to get false signals again more and more, then I stared to lower the gain lower and lower. Now this does not make sense. My speakers were acting up and and my tracking was sticking in the on position. The engineer at Whites said if this keeps happening to send the machine back and they would send me a complete new machine. Well, I'm doing just that this morning. Win this machine is not giving me problems it is a assume hunting detector ! I hope this will be my very last post on this subject. I have all the confidence in Whites.

When you get it back, let us know if it still has to be adjusted down to be stable. Mine was fine at Richards, and when I first turned it on at home, then it went berserk two hours later when i turned it back on. I have not been able to play with it much, but coin was a lot more stable than coin and jewelry. I tried it outside and it was still unstable? I am a newb. so I am sure it is me, not the machine!

Uncle Willy said:
Yeah sensitivity is the most misunderstood and abused control on a detector and the cause of more frustration than anything else.. Everyone thinks the higher you crank it the deeper the signal goes into the ground. WRONG! High sensitivity just makes the coil more sensitive to everything in the ground - the target you hope to find - every piece of junk that was ever dropped or buried - and every strand of mineralization in the ground.

Bill

When giving someone a hand in understanding "sensitivities", I use an analogy that seems to help quite a bit.

Remember back in school, when we were taught to look at an eclipse through a small hole in a piece of paper. Mineralized ground is very much like an eclipse (in as a concentration of energy coming from a small area). Increasing sensitivities is like punching more holes in the paper and eventually reception can be blinded. For the folks that become comfortable with this "analogy", I expand it to include the "box" and coil as two different "eyes" and the sensitivity adjustments as poking or removing "holes" in the paper.
Where you put the piece of paper, is switching to the different adjustments, for signals coming in or going out. They seem to readily grasp this and more easily grasp "the dance" in adjusting the sensitivities to best balance, for the ground they are in. (The other adjustments, with the detector, are a simple on/off.) Gets them conceptualizing and they feel much more comfortable in thinking for themselves. I usually find that, most people, dislike all the hand holding and take to it pretty fast.

when I got my ,detector the settings were wrong I suggest you look at program chart and check the settings

Had the same thing happen on one unit that I've"tested". It turned out to be a bad winding in the coil...if I remember right? There seemed to be a "build up period" and then just general unruliness in all aspects of pinpointing, back sweep, and falsing. Whites is very aggressively responding and things are smoothing out quickly. Which battery system were you using ?