Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some 6X8 SEF coil Info. Hope it is OK to Post the Info here. It is the results of me playinng around with it. If not just move it to the right Forum

Tinfoil

Since I like my 6X8 SEF on my SE and Safari. I thought I would Call JW at Kellyco and get a 6X8 for use on my V3 and MXT. This was a excellent decision because I really liked the results I got on my V3 with the 6X8" SEF coil .

I thought I would Post some of my findings using this coil. It takes me a long time to type this stuff and that is why I mostly Lurk and read. Maybe some of you guys might be interested in the Info.

Remember these RESULTS ARE FROM MY DIRT, AND MY BEACH, MY SETTINGS ON MY MACHINE. Yours may be different as I have MODERATE Mineralization to hunt in and I can get some deep targets down here in SW Louisiana Home of the World Super Bowl Champs 2010. :clapping: :super:

OK conditions. Ground damp not soaking wet in dirt. The black sand on my simi salt/fresh water beach was wet and I had to use Salt compensate to get My V3 to G/B and would not g/B in normal. Due to the fact the salt water barrier is up river and this water is straight from the ocean and mixed with some fresh water.

Places I hunted. My Beach,2 other pounded out places and my yard where the famous 9 1/2" dime on edge is buried along with a few other targets. A very hard target to hit, being it is right under power lines 20ft up and a large power Transformer not 60ft away and 20 ft up along with my heating unit running. A very noisy EMI tough area to test a coil.

Some of the settings on the V3 were. Recovery in search 45,analyse 70, Ground track offset +2, Freq offset +2. Coin Jewlery Mode. I have Match turned off in the analyse mode. Tone ID, Accept -7 to 95, reject -95 to -8. 3 freq. best data. Filters 7khz band

I wanted to see if it would False So upped the RX to 15, Dis. 90, AM70, Boost ON. NO FALSE in the air. I even drug the coil on the dirt and grass With these numbers and no false. How ever I did get a chirp once in a while with the coil to the dirt and grass. I did not drag it on the black wet salt sand i just for got to do it but, will do it tomorrow. If it is like my other 6X8"SEF for my SE and Safari it won't false either. I did put the coil in about 2ft of salt water and it did not false but did not have boost on in the water. Like I said I will do that tomorrow if it is not raining. Needless to say I was very pleased with

The 6X8" coil tore up that 9 1/2" dime on edge. Rx10, Dis.90, AM, 70, Nice clear sharp tone in search and Anaylise. However the analyse Mode I was getting some small squidly wavey forms but the forms were there. I think I am getting the hang of this mode for deep targets. Were not as good as on my 7" nickle. You have to remember this dime is on edge. The 6X8 is excellent for on edge targets. Even on edge the nimbers were no jumping around much. They did high adverage though. Some numbers on the dime were 82/83. 90 degrees 79/80/82.

Someone said that the V3 in the 22.5 khz did not do well. Not my coil Same on edge 9 1/2" dime, same sensitivity setting of Rx 10,Dis 90, AM 70, I was getting 79/80,90degrees 83/85. Normalized

Regular targets not on edge 0 to 7"s I was getting the regular numbers and no up adverage. 8+ you start to up adverage even on the flat coins but my V nulled 5.3" and 9.5" coil do the same thing.

My 6X8" pinpoints straight down the shaft. However if you are running a high Sen. and AM number like the Dis.90 and AM 70 I run you do have to lift the coil to get a good pinpoint location of the target. One thing to remember on any target always pinpoint the target to get the best ID and tone when you swing back over the target. Especially in the anaylise mode you must havea precise pinpoint.

Ok, how did it do on small GOLD. I took some of my smallest Gold. Target#1. Small 14kt 1/2 gram 1" long 1/32 of a inch thick cross. Target#2. Small 1.5" long filligree 1/2 gram 14kt cross, and #3 Target one round chain 2" long 1/2 gram 14kt earing without the tab. Took them out to the dirt. #1 target 3"s ID at 3/4,#2 target 4"s ID 3/4,#3 target 3"s ID 1/3. Now that is great for such small targets. Since I am a jewlery hunter that was some results I really liked.

Some more reading in Ground probe and Ground tracking
Ground Tracking RX10, Dis.90,AM70 3 freq best data
offset 2
VDI+80
2.5=171.5
7.5=150.4
22.5=48.3
Strength Gain 10
2.5=12%
7.5=10.2%
22.5=11.8%
Not much loss at to mineralization at these settings

Some Ground Probe settings 3 freq best data
RX 10
Boost off
Dis 90
AM70
signal 11.2%
noise 0.0
Best gain 9

Rx 10
TX Boost ON
Dis 90
AM 70
signal 13.3%
noise 0.0
Best Gain 3

RX 5
TX Boost ON
Dis 90
AM 70
Signal13.3%
Noise 0.0
Best gain 3

So this is about all I can think of. You know how it is when you get old CRS sets in and I am sure I forgot something. Important thing is I am very pleased with this coil. Now I am going to call JW and order me a 10X12" SEF.

For you that endured this very long Post thank you for looking. :D: :D: HH Jerry aka Tinfoil

Thanks for the info Jerry...great post.

Great news and very informative.I am looking to get another small coil was going to get the 5.3 thinking I might add that 6x8 as well.My best deeepest coil so far has been the 10x14 excellerator coil . Thanks Yazoo

Thanks Jerry, I was looking at that coil and was looking for something a little bigger then my 4x6 DD but don

I needed something that gave me some depth along with the seperation. That is why I wanted the 6X8" SEF.I have the V nulled 5.3" but wanted some more depth. The V nulled 5.3" will hit my 9 1/2" dime on edge but the 6X8" SEF is about 3 more inches with a good digable ID and tone. I have Moderate mineralization down here so deep targets is just part the problem. It is the good targets in the bad trash and the iron trash I am after.

I have a tone ID 6000 XLPRO that I use with a 8" coil and the 5.3" and hunt in the SAT. mode and I also G/B it to the Mineralization in the TR mode and I get good depth with that machine also and I can work it real slow for the good targets in the trash and the iron trash. See, the problem down here is the good stuff is in the trash and the iron trash and it is deep. So having a small coil that will get the depth, seperation and good digable ID is of the most importance down here on old coins. If you arn't digging 8+"s you might as well go home. Now that ain't even talking about beach hunting. It is pulltab city and round beaver tail tabs, bent beaver tails and foil on my beach. I leave the coins to the other guys except nickles and good sounding and good ton and ID number Zincs and man I hate Zincs. :ROFL: HH :D: :D: Later, Jerry aka Tinfoil

I would not know what to do if I got a open area that did not have piles of trash. :ROFL: Probley be bored. :D: It is the same way for the places I relic hunt. Help ME. I must be mentally ill. :crazy: HH Later Jerry aka Tinfoil

I am really a jewlery hunter more then coins. The Gold is what pays for the detectors, not coins for me. I need to really get with it on the analyse mode. I still don't have it right on the deep targets yet or the Gold targets. Good tone, solid 1 and 2 number IDs, not jumping around more then 3 numbers are good signs for the V3 so far but, the analyse mode just snows me. Filters, sweep speed, recovery delay, are what I am trying to really work on. I will get it though. :crazy: HH :D: :D: Later Jerry aka Tinfoil

I liked the way the 8 x 6 sef coil worked on my E-Trac, now I want one for my V-3 and MXT.
I like DD coils, the little 3x6 was to small and the 6 x10 was to big for the places that I hunt.
For the places that I hunt, i think the 8 x 6 will be used about 90 % of the time by me.
Thanks for your great report..
BJ

I run mine hot and when I get a real weak one I just pump it up a little more. Let me know what you think about it. I think you live over in OK. If it done good on your E-Track it should do as good as if not better on your V3. Mine sure does

BTW, thanks on the info for my Golden MM's. I never could get the depth back on them like my old one used to do after they replaced the PIC in my old one on my 9 1/2" dime even with the 8X9" Tesoro coil. All I get is a weak iron tone but if I thumb the Dis to past Zinc it will still low tone so I dig the targets. Not like the old Zinc high tone bounce. The new one works the same way. Anyway PM me once in a while. All of old guys have to stick together. HH Bud, nice talking to you again. :thumbup: :D: :D: Jerry aka Tinfoil

Jerry,
Nice to talk to you again..
I wonder if they got there parts some where else, and the parts just were not the same.
Yes I live in OK.,,, ground it wet and its cold, we had a blizzard right before Christmas.
Then in Jan. we got more snow and this Thurs. they are saying 50% chance of rain or snow.
We have not had a wet winter like this one in a while.

Thanks for the great report.
HH...BJ

if you compare it on the MXT, please post the results.

Monte

Here. I got it back the 28th. Put the 6x8 on and only checked my 9 1/2" dime that is on edge and it hit it hard. Had to do it between rain drops as it had been raining a lot down here. What do you mean by others. Other machines or coils. I will Post the MXT and the 6X8 over on Nancy's MXT Forum. The only White's machines I have are the MXT, My tone ID 6000XLPRO and the V3. Both of my V nulled 10" D2 coils and the V nulled 5.3 coils don't pass the Boost/Gain Test so I got to send them back to the factory to be replaced. My 9.5 V nulled coil passes the Boost/Gain test. I will be happy to do whichever you would like me to do. Let me know OK. HH :D: :D: Jerry aka Tinfoil

Now you bring up another question, however, ans that is how do the 10" D2 and 'V' nulled 5.3 Eclipse do on the MXT since they failed the test on the 'V'? My V-nulled coil works great on the MXT and an M( and does 'OK' on the 'V', but since the 'V' is all digital there are pronounced differences in how it works in various applications compared with the Spectra V3. Personally, I enjoyed using the other two more than the 'V3' in some of my more challenging, nasty-trashed sites with the 5.3 Eclipse.

Monte

I got the perfect Iron/trashy spot for the 5.3" and a deep target 8+, 12,13" spot for the 10" coils that will put them to the test. I was going to do this before I sent the coils back anyway. Just for my own curiosity. You know it makes you :crazy: some times doing testing like I do. I just like doing testing of different machines and coils. I guess that is why I own so many of them. I am not a serious Coin hunter but I am a serious Jewelry/Relic hunter. Thurs./Fri it is supposed to rain so I will just play around in my Garden and wait till it clears up to go to the other spots. HH :D: :D: Jerry aka Tinfoil

That is interesting and good news, for you and your black sand beaches. Jerry, you know Kieth Southern wrote a post in the MXT forum where he used the 8X6 coil and praised it, this is interesting, I mainly use round concentrics myself and like you have an XL Pro I still make use of it. I dont have a MXT but do have a M6,I think after reading your post and Kieths Im going to go ahead and order one. I know Ive read comparisons on the 10X12 comparing it to the D2 with most post stating the depth is about equal, but who knows in what kind of soil. Well, I dont have the V3, and like Monte, always interested in a well thought out report on the use of a piece of equipment such as you made. Ive found some deeper coins with my Pro where Ive been with the M6, thinking the M6 just missed them, and eventually found a deeper signal with the Pro and went over it with the M6 and while the needle on the Pro was telling me it was a copper penny, the M6 just kept jumping up and down on the numbers, it was a Rosey, about 7 or 8 inches. I do enjoy using the M6 but just about to make my mind up to get a MXT, think Im gonna order that coil first. Oh, that comparison , both machines had the 5.3 coil on board.
I live just north of you, up around Monroe area, talked with you on the phone a couple times,you know your stuff and I appreciate guys like you , Monte,Digger, Larry and so many more on this forum that give good reliable information. Im gonna get down you way some day, would love to meet you.
Best,
John

Bowie said:
Ive found some deeper coins with my Pro where Ive been with the M6, thinking the M6 just missed them, and eventually found a deeper signal with the Pro and went over it with the M6 and while the needle on the Pro was telling me it was a copper penny, the M6 just kept jumping up and down on the numbers, it was a Rosey, about 7 or 8 inches. I do enjoy using the M6 but just about to make my mind up to get a MXT, think Im gonna order that coil first. Oh, that comparison , both machines had the 5.3 coil on board.
First the thoughts. I think you've got the right idea having both the 5.3 Eclipse (M6) and a similar-sized coil for the XL Pro. These are my main-use coils, and for very good reason .... they work well. :)

I also think that I would usually put my $$ on the XL pro producing a better TID and perhaps audio response on deeper coins than most other makes and models, and I am including all White's as well. I enjoy my XLT for all the reasons that I missed them after parting company with my former units. The XLT is a fine detector. Having said that, I am also one of those who has always comments that the XL Pro is quite capable of better depth of detection and a much more accurate/reliable Target ID One of my personal wishful hopes is that White's will be able to bring out a replacement for the XL Pro that won't lose any performance.

Now for the questions. What were the settings used on the XL Pro and M6 when comparing them on the located target?

Why do you think an MXT might provide better performance and TID accuracy than the M6?

Did you establish a slightly positive GB and the LOCK it with both units, or reply on Auto-Trac?

One more thought. I have owned several MXT's and a few M6's. Seldom did I ever see much difference in performance since they are working on the same basic platform. Now, that said, I like the Tone ID of the M6 from time to time, but of the two the MXT is preferred.

An XL Pro/M6 or an XL Pro/MXT or an XLT/M6 or an XLT/MXT combination can make a great 2-detector battery. :thumbup:

Monte

Well, you may have a point there and probably do. Running the Pro with with a tad bit on the positive side of the threshold, I like to see my needle twitch just a tad as its lowered to the ground, then hunting in the SAT mode, but , and I already know what you will say,lol, I run the M6 with enough disc to knock out a small nail, never any lower than that and just because that preset mark is on the machine doesnt mean its just right to knock out the small nail. And with both units, I always lock the tracking, even though most places I hunt has very mild soil, I become concerned with all the iron I hunt in and the machines tracking to the iron.
I havent used a MXT. I have used the M6 and havent had the depth as much as I read about on the MXT, but, that is not the only reason I have interest in the MXT.
I dont like all the tones the M6 uses, most times I hunt in single tone mode,Im sorry, I just dont like to listen to all those tones. My sites,like any other old sites are full of iron. I just would like to experiment with the MXT and its relic mode and decide for myself how I will like it in these old sites. I know, from reading, many relic hunters like the MXT and a DD coil, but they are usually in very mineralized soil,which I dont have.
I have found coins with the M6 in older nasty places,no doubt about its capabilities,its quick response and being able to sweep slowly,very easy to turn the signal up to try and get a better response on a deeper iffie. I just think, that maybe, in these iron riddled places the MXT and the two tones would be more pleasing to listen to, and maybe pleasing isnt the right word but Im sure you know what I am trying to say.
But, like I said, Im going to order the 8X6 and give it a try on the M6 first.
I am sorry, Im on my lunch break and gotta run, like now,lol.
Thanks and all the best.
John

Monte said:
Now for the questions. What were the settings used on the XL Pro and M6 when comparing them on the located target?
XL Pro, as I set it up most times in a nastier spot,using the 5.3 coil... Ground balance-a bit positive, listening for a small rise in the threshold and a bit needle movement as I lower it to ground and lock the setting.
M6, I bob the coil per manual instructions, turn the signal/sensitivity knob until I get a bit of chatter and then just reduce it enough to where its right on or off the edge of the noise, (sometimes if Im in a hurry I just bob it and go) and lock my settings. I carry a square nail with me, and use enough disc to knock it out.
Monte said:
Why do you think an MXT might provide better performance and TID accuracy than the M6?
Well, I dont know, did I say that,lol. You know its kinda like, is the grass greener on the other side. Ive never had the oppurtunity to experiment with a MXT, but have read so many reports on it. And as far as the TID accuracy, they both should be darn close because of their relationship or at least thats my conclusion from what Ive read.
But, the tones on the M6 drives me crazy,I cant listen to them for long periods. I hunt with single tone and check a target out (sometimes) with the multiple tones. I actually got that hint from one of your post from somewhere in the past. Just curious how it would be to hunt with the MXT and its two tones, plus, curious how the MXT will be in these iron filled sites, experimenting with the Relic Mode. I know there is something else I need to add, but this is the meat of it. Dont have anyone close to me thats a pro on these matters, so I have to gain my own personnel knowledge, I have met and hunted with some close by, but they arent that experienced either, more than I, but still not knowledgable on the different machines. I want to learn how to hunt in the iron better, its not just depth but masking as well. And I read so much on Whites, Fishers, Minelabs etc, I just dont know where to go at times.
Ive gotta get another machine, will keep the M6 and XL Pro. I had to send the XL Pro to Sweet Home this past year for a repair (those folks in Sweet Home are great,nice,super ,did I mention great?) but was informed XL Pro parts are beginning to thin out. So this is why Ive become interested in another machine, to give my Pro a rest. So trying to stay with Whites, but have to admit, the Omega caught my eye.
Monte said:
Did you establish a slightly positive GB and the LOCK it with both units, or reply on Auto-Trac?
I think I answered that one.
Monte said:
One more thought. I have owned several MXT's and a few M6's. Seldom did I ever see much difference in performance since they are working on the same basic platform. Now, that said, I like the Tone ID of the M6 from time to time, but of the two the MXT is preferred
I talked about the tones. And what I get from reading this, the performance is the same but you prefer the MXT because of the tone(s) difference?
Monte said:
An XL Pro/M6 or an XL Pro/MXT or an XLT/M6 or an XLT/MXT combination can make a great 2-detector battery.
I have enjoyed my Pro and M6, and will keep both machines. I think the M6 is a good machine and will keep it for my use and as a loaner.
I admit, Im pretty ignorant on the technical aspects of metal detectors and no way have the experience of many of you guys, but Im learning!!!!

There is one other thing I would like you to touch on, or Tinfoil if he reads this. Tinfoil stated (using the Pro) he ground balances in the TR mode, Ive always ground balanced in GEB norm. Is Tinfoil hunting in TR Disc, making use of this mode in his black sand areas?? Or is this a little trick I need to learn?? Ive hunted some in the TR Disc mode but it does not seem to have the depth of the SAT mode. Maybe Im missing something.
Monte, thanks for your experience, knowledge and kindness.
Tinfoil, thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Best,
John