Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

METERS ARE USELESS..STAY WHERE YOU_R_TESORO

candycane

Gold hunter's never use a meter-----------Water hunter's never use a meter----------Relic hunter's never use a meter--------So why???????does anyone need a meter to look for coins?????????....Garrett peaked with the MasterHunter 7....Tesoro peaked with the first Bandido.....Minelab peaked with the first Sovereign.......Fisher peaked with the 1266x........White's peaked with the Classic 3 SL and 6000 XL Pro........All these machines are 10 years old or later and still can't be beat for performance......Only one of these has a meter and who relies on it anyway.........Stay away from meter's Tesoro......

Anyone want to cherry pick,,I have a King Cobra,,,15 plus years old,,with a 5" coil,,,I will put up against anything made today for trash area's...

Yep, you're right on Candycane. Meters are just a gimmick designed as
a novelty just for ID'ing shallow U.S. coins. Sound, or beep-dig is still
the best circuit to use. Meters are just not necessary.:shrug:
The only addition for ID would be the Tone ID Golden.
..W

I like a VDI readout... I don't know why I just do. I also like Garretts method of using a cursor and notch arrangement.
But most of all I like good tones for ID - why I like the Golden so much.
Any of these suffice.

We all twiddle that DISC knob at some point, after all, looking for a little infromation about a target. Admit it - you know you do.
What we end up with by doing so is a "Range ID," i.e., what range of conductivity a target falls into. So it seems that seeking some rudimentary ID function is a natural tendency for us.
Here is where I think Tesoro has kept the faith. Even on their flagship Cortez, ID features are kept to a minimum when compared against other models.

There are times when I think it can be a boon to have some form of ID... you really are playing the odds on a targets being a pulltab or gold ring. Depending on how the odds are stacked, you may wish to take the chance that something isn't more than a pulltab.
And at any time, you can always elect to NOT use the visual ID features on any detector by covering the screen with a piece of electrical tape.

But you are right; since you'll never really know unless you recover a target, ID features aren't really neccessary.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Gold hunters generally hunt where there is little trash. In water hunting, the digging is easy and they dig everything above iron. You dig most everything relic hunting anyway. Now, go to a park that's COVERED in modern trash. THAT'S where a meter and experience with it comes in. Take my friend and I. He has an ACE 250, and it HAS a meter. There is a park that's littered with pulltabs and other junk. With my DFX, I can kip most pulltab signals and only did possible jewelry targets. He went one time with me and will not return to the park, he dug TONS of pulltabs. While I found no real jewelry (hopefully yet), I was able to find 2 junk rings, due to they looked real good on my meter! Meters are not for everyone, but they are FAR from useless!

Howdy Folks
I like em both, there is a place for each style of detecting. I found a first model Bandido for my hunting buddy, he is new to the hobby, and figured this would be a good starter detector for him. He is getting the hang of it, and finds lots of coins, so not having a meter is no disadvantage to him. Just the other day he found a 10k gold class ring with it, so I checked the meter reading on two of my metered detectors, guess what? They both read the class ring as a pulltab............Hombre

Hi

There is a saying in the metal detecting world..."DIG'EM ALL!!!"

Considering that it is the absolute truth about being successful in the hobby, meters are useless.

If you want to cherry pick, just crank up the disc.

Nick

I have both types of detedtors and I find meters helpful in some locations. That said, I don't feel they are "useless". However, I've recovered a lot of coins and other targets with my "beep and dig" machines and do agree that a meter is not an essential need. Bottom line in my opinion is hunt with what you like. Doesn't matter what someone else prefers. My two bits.
BB

I agree for the most part that meters aren't what they are cracked up to be. But in all honesty the Tesoro Toltec II that I just sold was amazingly accurate with its analog meter. Some say even old time Tesoro users have said that the Toltec II was just thrown together just so Tesoro could say they had a tid machine, I say b.s. the Toltec was great detector, I would put it up against most detectors for finding coins/jewelry in th school yards,tot lots,etc. But everything said & done I prefer a non tid detector. Steve.

But you have to realize they are not perfect. Masking, ground conditions, electrical interference can all affect the reliability of meters but they do give you extra information with which to make your "dig or no dig" decision. Water hunters and relic hunters dig everthing above iron so a meter doesnt really buy them any additional informtion. But there is some very valuable information you can use that you can only get with a meter. In addition to target ID, target depth is one nice feature. Also, there are some metered machines that will read how bad the soil is and display for you in relative numbers so you can tell how mineralized your hunting conditions are. You can also assign numerical referece to ground balancing now, nowing how positive or how negative you need to set you machine to work well in a specific location. But again, not everybody needs all of this information. So it really boils down to the classic, use what works best for you and your conditions and the types of things you hunt for. On certain sites I am all in favor of knowing as much as I can about the conditions I am hunting in and I take my detecting time very serious so I like to know as much about a target as I can before digging. Other places, a beep-and-dig machine is my machine of choice. It just depends on the conditions. But that said, you can turn your metered machine into a "beep-and'dig" machine really easily: dont look at the screen. That may sound funny but you really should be digging your targets based on the sound quality first. Its a much more reliable piece of information.

..................Everybody has got one, but each one is different!!!!! Use em if ya got um, I like meters sometimes, and othertimes I don't want to use a metered detector. It just depends on where you are hunting, like a rusty nail infested sight, I like to use one of my Bandidos. And othertimes, when hunting an old Victorian house with a nice lawn, I like to use one of my metered detectors. It all boils down to location, use the right detector for the sight you are dig'n on..........Hombre

..."DIG'EM ALL!!!" Not really practical in many places. Some nicely manicured parks you have to be selective on what you dig. Some parks have so much crap, that you would never be standing up for all the digging of trash! Not an economical use of time. To say you like just beep an dig detectors...not a darn thing wrong with that at all! To say meters are useless...not by a long shot.

Meters were never for the purpose of making the ultimate decision of digging. Meters are for the purpose of using it as a guide line.

If you are in an area full of tabs, you keep getting a reading of say 38 over and over and it's a tab every time, with a meter you can observe and move on.

With a dig and beep machine you dig em all. The key for proper meter usage is know what the target is reading. Then utilize the meter feature for elimination of repetitive digging the same target. Sure you may miss a good find once in awhile, but not so often the meter doesn't work effectively.

The key is air test and know about what the meter will suggest , " yes suggest", what the target is in the field. Dig em all at first. Determine the targets and then use the feature for your advantage.

I really see no advantage to digging every target that's junk, if you can determine it's junk in advance. Do you ?? On the other hand if you enjoy digging and anticipating every target then by all means do so . It's sometimes just a matter of choice or style of detecting.

Scully said:
But you have to realize they are not perfect. Masking, ground conditions, electrical interference can all affect the reliability of meters but they do give you extra information with which to make your "dig or no dig" decision. Water hunters and relic hunters dig everthing above iron so a meter doesnt really buy them any additional informtion. But there is some very valuable information you can use that you can only get with a meter. In addition to target ID, target depth is one nice feature. Also, there are some metered machines that will read how bad the soil is and display for you in relative numbers so you can tell how mineralized your hunting conditions are. You can also assign numerical referece to ground balancing now, nowing how positive or how negative you need to set you machine to work well in a specific location. But again, not everybody needs all of this information. So it really boils down to the classic, use what works best for you and your conditions and the types of things you hunt for. On certain sites I am all in favor of knowing as much as I can about the conditions I am hunting in and I take my detecting time very serious so I like to know as much about a target as I can before digging. Other places, a beep-and-dig machine is my machine of choice. It just depends on the conditions. But that said, you can turn your metered machine into a "beep-and'dig" machine really easily: dont look at the screen. That may sound funny but you really should be digging your targets based on the sound quality first. Its a much more reliable piece of information.

I'm a shallow surface hunter at parks, schools and playgrounds.
Rarely dig a target past 6".

Tones of my Tesoro machines do quite well at ID if I stay current with the machine.

I'd like a meter sometimes, because of so much trash, but experienced operators such as TD have clearly shown you MUST lower your discrimination and dig 'em all to get the gold trinkets that are worth considerably more than coins.

I could never rely upon a meter at any place where I might recover relics.

All that as it is, gizmos, and bells and whistles are fun!

Best
rmptr

I am a beep-n-digger in a lot of places.

That's location.

If you don't you may leave a goody.

Other environments I discriminate.

I don't ever hunt with discrimination

above iron.

I descriminate with my brain.

To suggest that I get less info than with

a display is not to understand.

Displays slow down tha responses and

cloud the issue.

I can tell what I want without a display.

I have had 5 different machines with

displays.

I hated all 5, and I'm not about to go down

that road again any time soon.

Tabdog

I have and use both metered and non-metered machines. Audio to find a target and digging is my method. I most use and prefer a machine without a display screen. But sometimes I get in the mood and swing an TID machine using the screen only as an extra tool - never depending on it. Audio first, and if I do add the use of the display, it's for an indication of depth mainly, and for kicks to see what the display thinks. About the only times I may use the display for more is when using my Explorer-II or F-75. That's because the Explorer-2 has so many friggin tones, and the F-75 which I'm less used to has a more digital generated tones. On my Cortes, I tried to first use it a few times just to see what the display, but It's like I forget that it's there. Guess it was hard as I was more used to my Tejon, Cibola, Silver uMax, and Compadre. Then I added a Bandido-II which a fella bought new in the box some years ago and never got around to trying it. It was still unused in the box when I snagged it. Having a display was not a concern, besides, reading some good posts and getting an unused classic, and of course being a Tesoro is what sold me on it. Well, the price was cheap too.
I will say I had a few hunts where the area was so totally littered with tabs that I did use the display sometimes mainly to try and avoid the tabs.
So I use both types of machines, depend on the audio mainly, prefer a non-TID machine, prefer Tesoro's for most of my hunting, and may use a TID for some depth sometimes, but TID as a fun factor rather than decision factor.