Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I love nature and the north country

What a miserable night. Rain and wind and COLD! In

fact is it under 40 right now but nice weather is

coming.
Last evening the squirrel came to the deck and

wanted something to eat. I am sure he is getting

food in the woods but he still comes to Mama. Dats

me :D

I had just given him a half a cookie and a cachew

when a neighbor came over and showed me her

scooter. She knew I had one and was out for a ride

and stopped over.

We talked and looked over the scooters and then she

left. I walked back to the deck and the little guy

was gone. It was getting late and the forcast was

for rain and high winds.

Soon the bad weather moved in and still no

squirrel. I was sure hoping he had found shelter

becasue I was not gonna be hunting for him. It was

his decision weather it was time for him to for himself. I really didn't think it was becase he is only half the size of any squirrel I see in the woods. Others of his size are obvously still in the nest.

I kept checking for him and left the back light on but no luck. There is a cat around occasionally and we also have an occasional fox, two Bobcats have been seen and one Grey Wolf was also seen in the area. In fact a neighbor lady got a picture of it, I am told and showed it to the DNR, who identified it. Any of them would be happy to gnaw on a little squirrel.

This morning I got up as usual at 5 and he was not around. Well it was early :D I made coffee and since there are a bunch of Balitmore Oreals and Hummers around, I figured I would put out some more feeders. I usually have seven out and got busy.

I filled one and took it out and who was climbing on my doorwall screen? Yup, the little guy. I put my hand out and he jumped on, looking no worse for wear from a night out on his own, in such rotten conditions. He must have found good shelter.

I brought him in and got him a cookie, covered with chunky peanut butter and also a Cachew for good measure. I put the little guy with the treats in the cage, which is where he is now.

He is nice an warm and as I now looked, he has finished and is sleeping. Later I will turn him our again.

I think he will do well adn soon be on his own.

Sounds like upstate NY weather...Good to hear you and squeekie are together again and before I read the whole thing,I thought for a second there you and your neighbor must be prety close for her to be showing you her scooter..:yikes:

since we are only up here on some weekends don't know many. The lots are pretty big, ours is over 4 acres, and the houses are far apart. Just the way I like it.

Scooters are a great and inexpensive way of getting around up here too. Mine gets 70mpg

Saw our first hummer yesterday, actually two, a male and a female ruby throats.

Dave

The woods are busting with life now. We have three pair of Hummers, three pair of Baltimore Oreals, three pair of Red Breasted Grosbeaks and even a few Yellow Bellyed Sapsuckers, which I have never seen before. There are even a couple Buzzards trying to figure out where I have that Coyote head a hanging. They must be able to smell it :D

I have spent a week working on the yard and last night we had a hard freeze. I got everything covered up that it would hurt and it looks like they weathered it fine.

There are so many different birds pairing up. I have Titmouse and Chidkadees in houses also nuthatches.

The weather looks like it is going to be great from here on through the holiday

n/t

had to go out and cover them all with plastic. This sucks.

He has spent the last three nights out on his own. I got up this morning and was watching the deer out back.

The coffee was ready and I poured a cup and went back to watch some more. I noticed some black squirrels playing on the lawn. I looked closer and saw it was two blacks and one grey. One looked smaller and darned if it was not my little buddy.

I watched them run around the lawn and up the trees, jumping from one to the other. I walked out on the deck and one, the little guy, came a runnin. He was up on the deck and up my leg to my shoulder in a flash. I was afraid he was gonna make Sunny some turds but he was just hungry.

I went in and got him a couple nuts and he got busy on them. I sat in a lawn chair wiht him on my chest and watched him eat.

He finished the nut and then I had ot get him some milk and he filled himself on it. I don't know for sure when I should wean him bu tit will be soon.

We played a bit, he loves his belly rubbed a bit and then off he went to chase his new friends through the trees.

I was wondering how the other squirrels would except him but it looks like he took care of that. He is in my bird bath getting a drink now. :D

n/t

watchin him run and play. He knows who his Momma is! :biggrin:

n/t

I will have to come up there and whip you! Oh yeah,.......be sure you open any packages you might receive very carefully, you sweetheart! :rofl:

Well the little guy is still coming around for a cachew and a little playing. He wants me to play like a squirrel but I am not too good in trees.

Today he came down an oak tree and was looking me over, I walked toward him with my hand out, he usually jumps on my hand but this time he did the hiding thing. I would go around the tree after him and he would circle away. Well two can play that game.

I started dodging him and he would chase me around the tree instead of me chasing him. He finally jumped on my hand and we went to the deck to have a nut and play. As you can see he is pretty tame with me but Mary makes him nervous which is the way it should be. I don't want him too tame and don't let anyone else touch him.

I walked to my shed this after noon and as I opened hte dang door two flying squirrels took off on the back wall. One ran up the wall and set there watching me and the other went into my scooter cover/ I ran to get Mary, she had never seen one and my camera. The one was still setting on the sill and the other was a peeping over the edge of my scooter cover. I figure there is a nest in there so I guess I will not cover my e scooter for a while. I am sure the little sucker has eaten a hole in it by not anyway.

A few minutes ago a couple deer came in the the back. It is a mama and her baby from last year and she is about to drop a fawn, by the looks of her. Not many are around lately but it is because they are having their young right now and we will soon have mamas coming in with the little spotted guys.

We went kayaking yesterday and liked to have gotten drown in a downpour and again today on the South Branch and it was just beautiful. I was lucky enough to get a Glimps of an Otter.

I love the north country :D

n/t