Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How do you stop digging foil

3RINGER said:
Steve I respect all you have done in evaluating and testing units and mean no disrespect in this just asking. The nuances of a unit has been spoke of many times and for someone that hunts a lot with a particular unit may we'll find this in the Racer over time. The Racer has a language of its own and one can learn a lot by the tones if they just listen. I would like to hear more about his findings as it pertains to the two types of targets to see if I can duplicate it...it could really help in the field for us all. But to just jump in with what you said I feel was the wrong route to take. I have come to respect your thoughts and findings and would of expected more of an explanation as to why it would be so than what you posted or how you went about it.

Can you give more insight as to why this can not be done with the Racer vs other units where the nuances are talked about? Thx for any information you can give and like I said, I'm attempting to degrade or be disrespectful to you. Just trying to learn more about the unit.

Tom

I just noticed this.....I meant to say...I am NOT attempting... Typing on this cell phone can give you fits at time.

Thx guys for the information and tips. Tom I will look for his vid, tip like that would be very helpful.

Just tested all my gf gold rings on my t2 and the lowest one read 49 and the highest one one read 59,so that's a good starting point.

That would be me, Mr Squirrel. I had to sell my V3i to raise some fast cash for a family emergency. Had nothing to do with finding or not finding gold rings with a V3i. The V3 got sold because I knew it would sell the fastest of all my units. I'll grab another one when another deal comes by and pick up where I left off.

But I'm interested in the Gold Racer for other things, so it might be delayed as I can find gold rings with all my detectors.

HH
Mike

I found the V3i to really have no advantage over many other quality detectors. Besides someone stands above a target and gazes at all the exotic screen info---'they could have dug and moved on to the next.

Really my eyes I feel are absolutely a better discriminator than a V3i or any other detector when it comes to tabs, foil vs gold.

Btw hope your family is well.

HH

Thank you.

HH
Mike

I'm not going to make this a V3i thread, however all that info that the V gives up at once (audio & visual) can be processed by the human interface rather quickly with dedicated experience. That and the tuning, well I know why people quit this machine in fustration. Knowledge, It's all the data together, I can't be clearer I've put in a lot of time and effort and the probability of a targets conductivity range for me is is not probable, it is sure. Foil can be small gold as you know and I know when I'm digging foil, I don't know when it could be a small gold target…so hopeful when I'm wrong I'm rewarded. Foil is such a low conductor and seeing how it responds to three frequencies at once, being able to read each frequency at once and all together without any adjustment plus getting two more different visual signatures on any or every target you choose + AUDIO = helps immensely. I cannot tell a tab, any tab from a possible gold ring. Foil is easy for me to discern, it's not going to up average so great as to be deceiving.
This being a Racer forum I have huge respect for what it has added to my detecting results and fun, I've only dipped my toes in so far. I've got a long way to go. I keep thinking up scenarios - sites to visit just for it's strengths. Some foil I can determine using it, I get fooled quite a bit even having foil that did not exhibit the raggedness on the front and back of the signal and visually spiked way north of it's expected VDI range. This was grinding down my expectations of the Racer in the beginning, before I learned what this detector really is. I'm accepting because of the hot nature possessed by the Racer. Craziest single frequency detector I've owned, tried or borrowed. Other junk targets have not been as problematic for me, like being all over the range of what I think a good coin would be - like some (not the majority of) foil has. If the Racer was rainproof or better I'd only need these two detectors and my Excalibur 2 to be happy and well equipped.

I can totally tell foil from gold. the secret it to dig it up and look at it. I have never been fooled, with this method.

Sorry, I kind of checked out of this thread and so did not see the question until now. My response had nothing at all to do with the Racer or any other detector. Sure, you can cherry pick if you want. Many rings are fairly easy to cherry pick due the very clean, pure tone responses. But go to a jewelry store some time and look at all the gold jewelry. The earrings, pendants, chains, etc. and even all the crazy rings that are not simple hoops. The variety of size, shape, and purity is endless. So cherry pick away and for people with minimal time it can up the odds. Clive Clynick has some excellent books on how to best cherry pick for gold.

Me, after decades of trying all that stuff, I just found WHAT WORKS FOR ME is to go to places where people lose jewelry, like a soccer field. Then I recover absolutely all non-ferrous targets. If the site is good, I recover it all.

That is what I do, and it works for me. My commentary always, always, on forums means no disrespect to others and how they do things. People can believe or do whatever they want. But I can promise you if you cherry pick gold from aluminum you will, no question, end up missing gold items. Maybe you will change the ratio of trash to gold it into something you find more acceptable than what I find acceptable. I would not doubt that for a second. But if I hit an area and there is any aluminum left, I start feeling positive about my chances. I know things are not looking good if I can't find any aluminum, because somebody as thorough as I am has already beat me to it.

Aluminum is good.

I will follow that up with a general commentary. I just do not see where cherry picking gets anyone ultimately. Except for those who just have very busy lives any very little time to devote to metal detecting. If you only get in a minimal number of hours a year then you have to make the most of that time. Digging very clean, pure tones / very tight VDI spreads can do the trick if that is the case.

Sure, I have done that and may do it still. There are no rules that say a person can detect only one way. Sometimes it just depends on my mood.

The problem I personally have with cherry picking gold is sites that are good for gold are not unlimited. I can go to a park with my V3i / Big Foot coil combo and rather quickly cover the entire park if I just recover signals that in my experience indicate rings. Like I said, tight clean VDI responses are good. There is a ton of competition these days so those kind of sweet targets are few and far between. So I kill that park in a couple days. Now what? Go to the next. And the next. Now I am driving farther and farther in a quest for "easy targets". You can't do this for very long when you metal detect as much as I do before you are spending as much time driving as metal detecting.

Yeah, I admit it, I have an advantage now that metal detecting/prospecting and related activities is my actual job. I can just devote way more time to it than a lot if people. That being the case however I have come to value locations because I have actually proven to myself that I can pretty much wipe them clean. Since they are rare depletable resources I now just plug away methodically taking a place apart in a mapped jigsaw puzzle fashion recovering all non-ferrous targets. I personally do not think the Racer detectors favor cherry picking. They are superb at recovering all non-ferrous targets where such targets exist. That is why I like them and use them. If cherry picking is the goal there are better machines in my opinion.

It all in the end should be about enjoying yourself. Use whatever type of detecting strategy you need to make it fun. Nobody is getting rich doing this. For some people fun means digging as few trash targets as possible. There is nothing wrong with that and the never ending quest for the best machine to cherry pick and the best strategies for doing that can be very entertaining. I did a lot of that myself. However, I personally have just passed into a phase where all that matters is the metal detecting itself. I just love running the detector, and for me doing that right means identifying and recovering anything non-ferrous. I am intent on that enough that I dig a large amount of ferrous stuff also, because borderline targets can bounce between ferrous and non-ferrous, and anymore rather than just try and figure it out I just dig it up. So what if I spend a few hours send have nothing to show for it but some aluminum, a couple rusted items, and a penny? I am enjoying myself the entire time and whatever I find is just a side effect of time well spent in my opinion.

Last comment before I go however. I may enjoy metal detecting more than almost anything in the world, but it is just metal detecting. It is not worth anyone getting their shorts up in a bunch. I share what I share just for love of the hobby and for something to do when I am not actually detecting. I do hope some people find it helpful because it is payback for all the help others offered me over the years. But there is nothing in it worth getting upset about or arguing over. Life is too short. Best wishes to everyone here and all the important people in your lives. Happy Hunting!

Steve this is the type of response I have come to know as I have read your helpful tips and guidance given to us all. No backlash type post just straight forward guidelines as to what you have come to find over the years. Totally professional and thank you for giving us the info. As I had stated it just didn't sound like you earlier. In your two write ups here now I can see your meaning and can see the benefits of going back to a spot and working it the way you do. Thanks for the time spent in the field to help others. HH

Steve, I agree 100% with your post above. The Racer isn't the best for cherry picking non ferrous goodies from among non ferrous trash. I too would take my V3i and BigFoot coil over the Racer for that task most of the time if i'm jst looking for coin count. A lot of folks don't have multiple detectors and they must make do with what they have, and sometimes we feel like digging more trash than others. Have you experimented with your V3i and the BigFoot running three frequencies? It really skews the VDI's of the tabs and many low conductors, it drives them way up the scale. Most of the tabs that usually run in the mid to low 20's jump up to the mid 50's to mid 60's. The smaller ladies gold rings continue to VDI much lower. But of course that's only interesting if you're cherry picking.:unsure:

Oh yeah, love the V for multiple reasons, not least the different skewing of VDI numbers at different frequencies. Ultimate jewelry cherry picker in my opinion. But that is a subject for another forum. How about you help me lobby Makro to make a Big Foot / Cleansweep for the Racer?

I think the Racer Is actually very good for pulling coins on trashy sites. How can anything be better i am not sure. I rate the Racer 9 out of 10 in the bad sites loaded with nails / tabs/ foil etc

The only gold ring i found in 8 years i found with my sob GT and it was giving me the crapy foil sound it was about 3" deep and on edge because the heavy part pulled it down thru the grass on edge and i was just digging the foils that day . I have a Mirage P I and it will ignore foil and hit gold rings good but it will miss chains, and small unfound gold and i have to dig all Iron Good thing is it does not go to deep on Iron other wise my silver umax i just turn down the gain, and search all metal and any gold ring hit hard . I have not tried the Racer but hoping to do some testing soon.

I can tell aluminium junk tabs foil etc from gold 99.9 % of the time :lmfao: leave you to work out how :bouncy:

I agree site is key like I tell my mate cant find something that's not there, and just for fun if I met a detectorist who could find something that wasn't there now that would impress me no end :clapping: but other than that it really is just get down and dirty dig time for gold :biggrin:

was thinking of just digging 38 to 45 or so depending on the site with the F19 and see what comes out for a week or 2 in the search for gold chains sure there are some around. really to not just site but city town etc socio economics as a lot to do with finding gold place I live isn't high on that scale but still manage to pull some gold work hard for it though, but hey I am living the dream so who cares :bouncy:

so yep good machine low disc, good site and go to work.

I will take a CSC for the racer gold ( want one but waiting for some more to hit the ground 1st) please if it will work on both even betterer :drool:

really it can be looked at 2 ways bloody foil and tabs and slaw pain in the butt, I chose to see it a bit differently that they are my friend they keep the gold locked up for me when I am not there cause 99% of detectors disc doesn't go below zinc.

so really its a change in mind set and trash tolerance think I got that one off Clive.

AJ

I once dug a mans GOLD signet ring right out of the middle of a foot ball pitch. The ring was broken and read like iron. To this day i don't know why i dug it. Broken gold rings are the exact same sound as rusty iron / nails.
That was found with an explorer 2.

amberjack said:
I can tell aluminium junk tabs foil etc from gold 99.9 % of the time :lmfao: leave you to work out how :bouncy:

Me too, 99.9% of the time it's aluminum junk tabs foil! I know every one is wanting a bigfoot coil but I'm hoping for a concentric coil for the (non gold) racer. Just watch the numbers and look for a solid lock, of course the last couple pieces of jewelry I've found were a large broach that changed tones as much as vdi and a small open ring that jumped everywhere.

Steve, in your experience which detectors faired better in the International version?