Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How do you stop digging foil

petew

I mean,do I not dig midtones at all?I went out yesterday and dug all solid midtones, and most were pieces of small foil,not even wadded up,kinda flat.I think its a hell of a coin machine in trash or clean areas,not so much on gold.I'd hate to pass all midtones just to avoid foil.

Something else I wanted to say.I had a aka signum 7272,and wish I'd never let it go,not by choice though.This racer has alot if characteristics that the siggy had,one is the jingle after ground balance.Now,the most important thing about the signum performance was a proper ground balance.And even sometimes when it jingled it wasn't ground balanced right,and did it ever affect the depth.
So I would use a piece of ferrite, and it was always a correct ground balance for me,that thing was fast and deep.Seemingly the racer and the aka machines are from over seas,I'm wondering if makro didn't take a few things from the aka and ad it to the racer?Although I believe the aka signum 7272 was a better performance machine than the racer,the racer isn't far behind it,in alot of ways it's the same minus the hodagraph. I'm gonna hafto get a piece of ferrite and try.

Yep, if you pass them all by, you'll miss all those nickels, too.....
Unfortunately, most of the time, when I think I got a nickel, it turns out to be a :pulltab:, or foil. I really don't know how to tell the difference, without digging. :sadwalk:

If you hunt gold you dig foil. Unless you want to ignore the gold that detects as foils, like small womens rings with diamonds, chains, etc. Also platinum usually reads as foil.

If you do not want to dig those items, just ignore visually the low 40s range numbers where foil comes up. Or turn the ID Filter up to eliminate low 40s.

I always keep in mind an old Fisher study of 160 rings from four sources. 38% read foil, and they were often the most valuable. Men's rings read higher, pull tab or nickel.

The Euro machines are not the best for cherry picking target id ranges. They are best for dig all non-ferrous types like me. Up averaging id numbers is common because if you hunt in Europe target id is all over the map anyway. The main goal is digging all non-ferrous and up averaging actually aids in that. I have seen many U.S. type detector call non-ferrous targets in bad ground ferrous and that problem is far less prevalent on the Euro machines.

Following up on Steve's foil comment, Mr. Dankowski I believe asserts that there are something like 50 to a hundred times more gold jewelry sold for women than men. Check you finds and see if you don't have near an equal number of men's rings to women's. That should tell you something about how much low conducting gold we are passing by thinking its foil.

No getting around digging foil if you are out for platinum & gold. If I'm going to dig ALL those foil readings then I'm going to pick a spot with a higher likelyhood for jewelry. Certain areas of sports fields, the beach and high probability spots. That said I have dug plenty of foil that read very high into the coin range. Foil that was balled up and deep fooled me often. I'm learning to try an differentiate with the audio subtleties. I'll probably continue to get fooled fearing I'm missing a good coin deep. Don't forget small gold coins like gold dollars can be missed if you skip the foil to nickel range.
Fun detector and Steve Hershbach said it best about the characteristics of a European designed detector. That translates to a great relic machine on our soil.
HH - Bruce

I was so mad about that foil that I actually posted this on racer for sale.I've since took it down,came to my senses a little.And ordered a oor coil,so I'm in too deep to let it go .What you guys say makes alot of sense,If this thing hits foil,its definitely gonna hit small gold too,and I dug my share of junk with alot of machines looking for gold.This racer is a coin to junk killer though,it produces just coins if you want it to.Dirt clown on another forum also suggest clives book,I'm getting it. thanks for everyones help
On another note,I've sold my at pro to a friend so this racer is now my main rig,with a eurotek pro with a sharpshooter coil as backup.I love that little eurotek

I find more men's rings than women's, but frankly I believe it is because men are not as careful with their rings. It is not so much about what gets purchased, but more about the likelihood of an item being lost. Lots of guys just have a plain gold wedding band, easily replaced and no big deal. The women's wedding ring is more likely to be the high value of the two, and probably if more sentimental value also, so much more care taken with them. And guys are just more rough and tumble. Sports fields, in the surf, etc. you are just more likely to find men's rings.

But the women's rings are the ones most likely to be a major value find.

I would buy an excellent pair of headphones and listen carefully. Audio rules with the Turkish machines. Foil sounds different than good metal. Too many people not digging foil for it to be a problem for ya.

petew said:
I was so mad about that foil that I actually posted this on racer for sale.I've since took it down,came to my senses a little.And ordered a oor coil,so I'm in too deep to let it go .What you guys say makes alot of sense,If this thing hits foil,its definitely gonna hit small gold too,and I dug my share of junk with alot of machines looking for gold.This racer is a coin to junk killer though,it produces just coins if you want it to.Dirt clown on another forum also suggest clives book,I'm getting it. thanks for everyones help
On another note,I've sold my at pro to a friend so this racer is now my main rig,with a eurotek pro with a sharpshooter coil as backup.I love that little eurotek

I'm glad you took the add down till you see what the OOR can and will do for you. Like the rest said, you are going to dig foil. There is no magic detector that will eliminate foil all together. I don't mind digging trash that much because there may be goodies hiding with it.

I have a new pair of gray ghost ndt,I do listen, just still hear a good signal in foil
JFlynn said:
I would buy an excellent pair of headphones and listen carefully. Audio rules with the Turkish machines. Foil sounds different than good metal. Too many people not digging foil for it to be a problem for ya.

I love people who think they can tell the difference between aluminum and gold. The secret in not trying to tell aluminum from gold. The secret is proper site selection, then recover all non-ferrous targets. Take that from somebody who measures his detecting gold finds in pounds.

Nope not me,I know I cant tell gold from aluminum.I don't mind digging cans and pulltabs,just that foil falls apart and I'm looking for a target that's paper thin and in 30 pieces.Talk about frustrated, I just want to find the junk and move on,trying to find tiny bits is a waste of time

Glad to see you held onto it as well. The unit definitely has its place and picks apart a thick site. If your looking for those type targets then be prepared to dig the bad stuff...only takes one good one to make a world of difference. May want to hit another site for now, give ya a chance to see what else can be done with it. Have a new mindset and then go back to hit it again. Good luck to ya and HH

petew said:

Personally I think you have two great detectors there - I loved my ETP & Racer but have now settled in on the Nokta FORS CoRE, which is very similar to the Racer but with better suited ergonomics for my style of hunting

steve herschbach said:
I love people who think they can tell the difference between aluminum and gold. The secret in not trying to tell aluminum from gold. The secret is proper site selection, then recover all non-ferrous targets. Take that from somebody who measures his detecting gold finds in pounds.

I totally agree and respect this poster - and that is from someone who has spent too much time learning different machines and still yet to find his first -

Gold that is NOT pound lol ;)

Steve I respect all you have done in evaluating and testing units and mean no disrespect in this just asking. The nuances of a unit has been spoke of many times and for someone that hunts a lot with a particular unit may we'll find this in the Racer over time. The Racer has a language of its own and one can learn a lot by the tones if they just listen. I would like to hear more about his findings as it pertains to the two types of targets to see if I can duplicate it...it could really help in the field for us all. But to just jump in with what you said I feel was the wrong route to take. I have come to respect your thoughts and findings and would of expected more of an explanation as to why it would be so than what you posted or how you went about it.

Can you give more insight as to why this can not be done with the Racer vs other units where the nuances are talked about? Thx for any information you can give and like I said, I'm attempting to degrade or be disrespectful to you. Just trying to learn more about the unit.

Tom

The Racer has it's nuances and I can attest to that. But foil is just to tight of a grey area to ignore. I found a pair of gold earrings that were looped together that I thought for sure was foil, but since I dig everything I had a pleasant surprise. Gold reads all over the place on any detector, and it doesn't matter how experienced the user is. It's foil and reads in just about any range gold will.

So, if you don't wanna dig foil the only options are...

1. Crank the disc, you will still find foil but not as much. Expect to find no gold and very little anything else but clad, lead brass, etc.
2 Find another past time.
3. Invent the "Magic" detector.
4. Don't dig any signals.

Well,
If folks will take their units to hard hunted sites with iron/nails. You will find if doing head to head test----a good many targets will be invisible or very coil placement specific in order to actually hear a nonferrous target.

Folks who are after gold anything, regardless of which detector--- you have to dig the foil signals.

Sorta reminds of someone not too long ago was trying to convince folks he could tell the difference between a tab and a gold ring using a White's v3i. Seems the gent has since sold his gold discriminating v3 detector lol.

One thing I've found with the Racer is that because the Audio is so informative, I don't dig much foil. I agree with Steve that you can't tell the difference between gold and foil but on the Racer, you can tell the difference between round and not round, at lease most of the time. I think the reason I don't dig much foil is that I've only been digging those round sounds in the foil range. Of course that means that small, OOR targets like charms, and earrings may get passed up, but by listening for those smooth round targets, most of the OOR foil targets get skipped also. Now if I'm hunting a tot lot or sand volleyball court I'll dig everything above a 30 VDI but when hunting grass, I'm only going to retrieve those targets that sound round. Keith posted a video showing the difference between coins and bottle caps (I think it was caps). That video really helped me to learn the audio differences. Target that aren't round have a fuzzy sound at the start and trailing edge of the beep. I tried bench testing with the detector sitting on a table and waiving targets past the coil but that doesn't work. You've got to place two targets on the ground about a foot apart, like a penny and a bottle cap. Keep swing over each and soon you'll be able to tell the difference between the two, especially if you're using good headphones and you have decent hearing. Even though bottle caps are round, they have that rippled edge that can be heard on the Racer. I do however get fooled by those aluminum screw caps from time to time.

Keith's video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G25-6d_EIqE