Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Hanging Up My Hat"

Sunny

What is wrong with me? For the past two to three years, I have thought about nothing but retiring, or at the very least getting our home office finished and bringing some of the work that I do home.

I told Scott, that after this New Year came, sticking to my guns, that I was going to do just this. He took me at my word this time. Always before, I had let him talk me out of it! But this time is different. We have started ordering our cabinets, making arrangements to stain the oak paneling that has been up well over two years, and discussing what kind of doors I wanted, etc. I am happy about this, but still have this

My sister-in-law was in the corporate world for almost 20 years and has "retired" to start her own business at home. Man, you wouldn't believe the change in her attitude. Hope it works out best for you!

Dave

Your past history indicates that you have been moving up, not sideways or down, so you have made some sound judgements in the past and this sounds like a good one also. Steady as she goes!!

it is truly unfortunate that these days someone with a good heart in business finds it a liability:sadwalk:
Well done!:super:
Wayner

As you know, Alice and I started the feed store, worked together for years, and , when the health issues got in the way, sold said feed store and retired. It was a very difficult thing to do at the time; especially when I was only 48 years old then.

However, we have managed to keep busy and have a pretty fulfilling life. And for that I thank God and the blessings of our many good friends. You will be far happier, healthier and more contented now that you have 'hung up the spurs' as it were. It will take a few weeks to maybe a couple of months, but once you get into that 'retirement groove', you will know that it is the best thing that you have done.

Alice and I have managed to better our lives by being retired. Our relationship is stronger, we are happier..... things are great.

And, this year, we are planning to purchase a house in either the Bahamas or the Turks and Caicos.; We will buy it, use it for those months that are really cold, and have a manager handle it for the rest of the year. If, as I suspect, we get to really liking it, we MAY just move there and rent this place out.

However, as you can see, we are not letting any moss grow on us. :)

calm seas, fair winds

M

plan! The only thing I think could make this better for me is for Scott to retire too. He may be younger, (not much), but he has worked hard to. Thing is, he is not ready yet, and that's okay.

I think you and Alice have made all the right moves thus far, and your love story will always remain one of my favorites! What was the name of your book again??

Thanks, Mikey! :)

n/t

n/t

age 48. Like you, it was a big step for me to take as I was a work a-holic also. I, like you, keep busy doing odd things, in my case buying houses and reselling them and repairing computers. I've never regretted the move other than I miss a lot of my friends but in our line of work you were always on the move anyhow.

2 years later I had a heart attack, then another, a quad bypass and I was back in operation. The doctor's all said, it was stress related as I had big crews and it was a do or die busniess.

I now wonder where I ever found the time to work I have so many hobbies and always looking for more. In retirement, if your set money wise, your biggest concern is after than is your health and of course the familys.

You will get a different outlook on life in short order. I lose track of what day it is most of the time. To me, every day is Saturday. My wife and I are both retired and she retired when I did except she got stuck with the house work. We are still working on the french maid for her. LOL We still are best friends, do a lot together, yet have our own interest also. I couln't of had a better retirement partner.

I say, Go for it, you can always go back if it don't work out, but I'm betting it does. Good luck.

George-CT

I am wrestling with thoughts of retirement myself. The job I do and have done for the last 15 years (R.T. for a home medical co.) has evolved to the point where it seems like most of my time is spent doing endless paperwork to satisfy all the different gov agencies and mind numbingly dumb corp. policy's as well as baby sitting cry baby employees. Seems I spend most of my weekends and days off dreading the time when I must return....

I have several interests that I would love to be able to devote more time to in my remaining years. Things I enjoy doing that I could possibly make some money with...IF I had the time.

I say it sounds like you have given this lots of thought and no job is worth killing yourself trying to do. Congratulations and good luck!

forward to it, and as soon as I get my priorities in order, I will feel better. I can tell you, I will never go back. I just have so many things to do, and will just start in! Thanks again, :)

still have to take care of the credentialing of the doctors, and fight all the bureaucratic BS from Medicare and Medicaid, but that will take no time at all! With all the dang HIPPA requirements, for companies wanting to go paperless, it seems to me it has created a mountain more of paperwork!

I hope you can do this soon! I think we need to enjoy life more, if at all possible. My doctor's have been telling me for three years to get my stress level down! I would just laugh and say "right, easy to say". But I guess it just takes us to make up our own minds, and it can be done!

I can give up a lot of "things" for peace of mind and body! :)