Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

etrac has no sound?:veryangry: (We've been told by one party that the other guy is his brother..)

I see Pulltab.My etrac is right at 4 years old and out of warranty. 3 months ago I was hunting and it went stone cold dead. I shook it up a little and it would come on only briefly. BEING OUTof warranty my decision was made to dissamble the control box. Ifound the problem almost right away. That being the black speaker wire . At the factory, the wire was wrapped carelessly causing it to be pinched in the bottom of the housing causing a partial separation of it. What i did was cut out a tiny piece ,of the wire, reroute the wire to where it cleared the housing inside ,strip a small piece off each side of the wire(paying attention not to pull to hard as one end is connected to the motherboard,the rest to the speaker, then put a tiny heat shrink tube over the end of the wire out of the way. I put both ends of the wire together (its stranded copper), and soldered them together using fine solder. Slid the heat shrink tube over the soldered joint ,got a hair dryer turned it on high and shrunk the tube until it was snug. Reassembled the video screen and its cable, box and screws. put the batteries back in hit the power and like new again! You might have a partially severed speaker wire. Ive reviewed 2 other cases similar to yours and one case like mine hands on. I hope yours can be repaired at Minelab.It should be covered by warranty and they should download postage info to you for free. Please give them another chance and see what they can do for you. Yours, kabarcoinin.

I talked to minelab today. Gonna send it in again. We'll see what happens. I do think I'll like the etrac....When i get to use it...lol

it turns on fine, back light works fine. When I wave a dime in front of the coil, the vdi numbers seem to correspond correctly. I have sound with the headphones. Just never used the headphones with it yet...haven't had a chance. Maybe the sounds just sound different to me with the headphones on. I put it in ttf and the sounds sounded right. I just haven't used it in multi tone with headphones.

Hopefully it's something simple. Minelab was pretty nice over the phone. Hopefully they will take care of my machine, and it'll be the last problem I have for a long time.

pulltab68 said:
I talked to minelab today. Gonna send it in again. We'll see what happens. I do think I'll like the etrac....When i get to use it...lol

it turns on fine, back light works fine. When I wave a dime in front of the coil, the vdi numbers seem to correspond correctly. I have sound with the headphones. Just never used the headphones with it yet...haven't had a chance. Maybe the sounds just sound different to me with the headphones on. I put it in ttf and the sounds sounded right. I just haven't used it in multi tone with headphones.

Hopefully it's something simple. Minelab was pretty nice over the phone. Hopefully they will take care of my machine, and it'll be the last problem I have for a long time.

Did you tell Minelab you were using an R&B battery in it?

I sent them a link to this post when I originally emailed them. I'm not interested in hiding the fact that I used the r&b. I like to be honest. The people at r&b told me the battery was completely fine to use. I guess if you were to use 8 double a lithium ion batteries at higher volts, it would be a problem. If they don't help me, lesson learned I guess.

They even advertise the r&b batteries here on the forum, for use with the detectors. If there is an issue, I guess I will be calling them. But I really don't think they would put themselves in the position to sell these for use specifically for this detector, when it could potentially do harm to an expensive machine.

pulltab68 said:
I sent them a link to this post when I originally emailed them. I'm not interested in hiding the fact that I used the r&b. I like to be honest. The people at r&b told me the battery was completely fine to use. I guess if you were to use 8 double a lithium ion batteries at higher volts, it would be a problem. If they don't help me, lesson learned I guess.

I'm sure it's probably fine to use the battery but to me it could be one way Minelab could get out of covering the warranty if they wanted to.

I don't think a company would advertise that it's battery is made for that detector if they didn't do there homework to make sure it's safe. If not, they could open themselves up to owing a lot of people for new detectors.

OK the battery may not be the problem may never cause a problem on any machine but the manufacturer says its use voids the warranty that's alot of risk. Think of it like this,If you buy an after market performance chip or programmer for your car or truck "They sell them every day and tell you it will give you better performance" then have a problem with your vehicle and take it to a dealer for warranty work. It ain't going to happen. As soon as it shows in the computer that it was used you are not covered by your warranty. Just my thoughts Dave

I GOT IT. It may void the warranty. ...got it. I guess I will find out. Like I said if it does turn out the battery is the problem, I guessI will be talking to r&b.....may void the warranty....got it.

Hey Deep Down, just keep that thought, because it makes sure I can always get one if mine ever decides to finally quite.( doubt it though) The RNB battery is the single best improvement that anyone can make on a E-Trac!!!!!!!

Hey pulltab. Sorry about your issue with it man. I hope they get it fixed for you. I starting to count how many times people have to tell you it may void the warranty. I think you probably understood that the first time. I agree with you though, if they sell a product specifically designed for that detector, and it causes an issue then I would think you'll be talking with them.

It's funny though. I don't know how many posts I've read about everyone saying this battery is the best thing since sliced bread. But the first guy that has some issue with his detector, and says he had this great battery in it, everyone comes out of the woodwork telling you that you shouldn't have used it.

Guess we'll see what minelab does for you. I wouldn't worry about it. Don't let people keep running this warranty thing into your head. If they don't fix it....they don't fix it.

like you said...lesson learned. You'll either decide to pay to fix it, or you could make a great YouTube video of your thoughts about it all, and do what I'd probably do. ...wrap it around a tree.

You already had to send the darn thing in for repair 3 weeks after you bought it for a defective button...now this? Yeah..forget it....it's a problem not even worth worrying about. We all make money, and sometimes lose money.

Hopefully they take care of you, and you have nothing but good to say about minelab.

Thanks for that cz. And roadapple I'm glad you like your battery.

That would feel good making a video talking about my experience, and being able to let some frustration out between it and a tree...lol.

I've had several fishers, and never one issue. Your right cz, one problem after 3 weeks. Another problem when I get it back...not worth worrying about. After all....it's just a metal detector right.

I will buy another one if this goes the wrong way. But, this will definitely be the deciding factor on who I buy from.

I hope you follow up and post your results here. It will be interesting to see how good minelabs customer service. I have an old whites quantum xt probably 20 years old and the outside screen has a crease in it. I called their customer service to inquire to see if I could get it fixed. The lady told me it just peels off. She took my name and address and told me she would get a new one in the mail to me , no charge. A lot of other companies should follow Whites example.

Hey robert, everyone seems to be really interested in this. I will for sure follow up. I agree about whites customer service. I have an xlt (rainbow version) not one single issue with it. It still looks brand new. But I did call whites to see if they would service it, if I ever did have an issue. They are really nice people. They told me whatever I needed, that they make there customers priority.

Heck, that has me thinking. If this didn't go good, maybe I will buy a new v3i.

Had the same problem with my new ET back in June 13'. It was repaired and back in 2 weeks and not a problem since. Great CS. It is strange the unit has another concern so quick but I went through one type of Fisher unit 3 times before I got one that worked. They handled it with the speed and professionalism I expected. Have had 2 FTP machines since. Good Luck. JR

I will say one thing. If they fix it, I will get a definite answer from them, if it's OK to use the battery. If they say no, I will be selling it. ..and its brands new as well

just want to say i sympathize with your frustration. i had one problem with my etrac once, they fixed it. that was a while ago. to have two problems right away like that sucks. i dont recall seeing this but have you tried resetting the detector? if this gets resolved and the detector is OK again, give it a chance, i really like the etrac a lot, its a fun machine to swing. especially after you begin to understand what its telling you.