Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

etrac has no sound?:veryangry: (We've been told by one party that the other guy is his brother..)

pulltab68

Also is coming from the same exact IP address... the other brother uses the one's user name as his email handle. Very strange and then entering into a discussion like this is very strange... Waiting on more information...

Wow, I bought this new a couple months ago, and I've only been able to use it twice! I had to send it in for repair 3 weeks after I bought it because one of the buttons would only work intermittent. I got it back, and haven't even taken it out yet. I turned it on in the house to mess with it. When I turned it on, it had sound, then all of a sudden no sound at all!! I hear tones if I plug in the headset, but doesn't sound right...I would like the detector if it would work the way it should. I mean...you spend a ton of money....for this?. About ready to give up, and find something else to waste my money on!!:rant: I've done a master reset, and have a fully charged R&b battery in it.

I'd send that post to Minelab and tell them you're going to join every detecting forum you can and make the same post :(
Who knows,,,maybe they'll send you a new machine and throw in one of those ridiculously overpriced hats as well

I sent them an email, saying I wanted a replacement. I didn't say I was going on the forums though. But I mean ..really? At least for me, that's a lot of money to spend on a metal detector. I will definitely let everyone know how they respond.

I would check the Headphone plug in terminal. Sometimes something gets stuck in there or its not making the right connection or lack of one. That very well could be the problem and a simple fix.

This is the first time I even plugged headphones in it. The sound went out, and I couldn't figure it out, so I took my wife's headphones and plugged them in to see if I had sound that way. It does, but the sounds aren't right. First thing I did when I bought this thing was put one of the nice screen protectors on, put a nice control housing cover on, and also put one of the protector covers on that cover the battery compartment and hand grip. This thing hasn't even had a chance to get a scratch in it anywhere. I spent 40.00 on shipping it back for repair the first time. I have to say.. I'm pretty upset with this. I bought it because of all the great reviews......If they don't replace it, I think it's my last one from minelab.

I was thinking of buying a new etrac myself. I will be following this thread. I'm curious to see how there customer service is.
Your right...that is a lot to spend and have a second issue within two months. They should just replace it, since you spent that kinda money, and it's only a couple months old with no use.

good luck. ...do me a favor and p.m. me when you find how how they're going to handle it.

Call them. I have never had to pay for shipping if the machine is under warranty. 1-877-767-6522. Gary Schafer is the General Manager of Consumer Marketing Minelab U.S.A and his number is 630-401-8152. HH :minelab:

pulltab68 said:
This is the first time I even plugged headphones in it. The sound went out, and I couldn't figure it out, so I took my wife's headphones and plugged them in to see if I had sound that way. It does, but the sounds aren't right. First thing I did when I bought this thing was put one of the nice screen protectors on, put a nice control housing cover on, and also put one of the protector covers on that cover the battery compartment and hand grip. This thing hasn't even had a chance to get a scratch in it anywhere. I spent 40.00 on shipping it back for repair the first time. I have to say.. I'm pretty upset with this. I bought it because of all the great reviews......If they don't replace it, I think it's my last one from minelab.

Have you used an etrac before? What do you mean..."the sounds arent right'? Did you buy it new?

Yes i bought it new. I've been able to use it a couple of times. Enough to know what the tones are. When i plugged the headphones in it just sounded like a bunch of garbled sounds when I'd pass a coin in front of the coil.

Sounds to me like youve got a problem. I would think under the circumstances....ML would take care of it no problem. Things have issues, no matter what the cost. As others have said...let us know what happens.

I think I would try returning it to the dealer that sold it to you.

They are in Arizona now. Anyways I'm sure they'd just say it's under warranty just send it in. I know things happen...hey, it's electronics right. But it's pretty frustrating when you spend that much and the first time you take it out, one of the buttons don'twork, and the next time you decide to take it out, the sound is gone.

I don't mean to sound like I'm throwing a fit...but I'd like to have a metal detector that's going to be trouble free for a while that cost 1,500....ya know.

I would put a volt meter on the r&b and see what it is reading. And even if it is 12.5 or less Your post being sent to minelab will not help your cause. Their warranty states that the use of rechargeable lith ion batteries will void the warranty. Not taking a shot at R&B they have a great product that people are having great luck with. However that is the warranty clause. I asked several times about this and the only answer I got on any of the forms was that there had never been a problem caused by the use of these batteries. Hope you are not the first and may have NOTHING to do with the problem you are having. But the fact according to minelab is that you did void your warranty when you used that type of battery R&B or any other brand. Talked to a tech at minelab after a friend had a problem with his E-trac and asked him that question specifically.

I did put a volt meter on it, and it was 12.5 volts. I asked the people at r&b about any warranty issues and they said it would not void the warranty.

Pulltab68 I want you to be right as I have said before I here and read great things about there product. How ever search this form on this issue and I do not think you will find one straight answer yes or no from any post made on the seemingly simple question does it or does it not void the warranty. I called and spoke to minelab tech believe it was a Keith do not remember for sure he told that the use of ANY rechargeable lithium ion battery would void the warranty no matter who it is made by. He ever stated that it was on a specific page in the manual again do not recall the page. Hope I am wrong on this but I think you will find that I'm right at any rate hope you can come to a fix on the issue and hope you can come up with a way to stick with the E-tac. It is everything your research told you it is and MORE! Good luck and HH Dave

I hope you get it resolved. I have been fortunate and never had a issue with any Minelab I have had. Don't give up. The Etrac is a great machine and I think you will be pleased once you get the issues taken care of.

If you used the lithium-ion rechargeable batteries you have voided your warranty. Page 15 lower left corner of the page in your E-Trac manual. Hopefully this is not the problem.

Pulltab, what happens when you turn on the etrac,without headphones, pick it up and roll it side to side, then up and down quickly? Does the sound become intermittent , scratchy or go out ?

I turn it on and everything seems to work fine. Just no sound unless I plug in headphones.
I can move it up and down and all around. ..no sound. That's it.

I'm pretty darn sure the r&b would not do anything to the machine. But if you use 8 lithium ion double a rechargeable batteries, they have too much voltage and...yes. The r& b shuts off at 12.5 volts.

The etrac has an internal voltage regulator!!. If they try to get out of fixing it because of that, I won't buy one.
That battery is perfectly safe to use.

Thats my opinion, and im sure lots of others also.