Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox beach hunters

DigDeepNow said:
How do you check what firmware version is installed on the machine?

When I connected the detector to the update program it said something like "Software V1.5 installed, Software V1.7 (or V1.75) available"

As far as a little chatter goes I say “so what!” It is easy to back off the sensitivity a little or just ignore the chatter unless it’s repeatable

Sold my CTX and bought a nox. The more I use it the more I like it. Found a platinum ring the first time I used it at the beach.

The Nox is great on the beach. The 3030 maybe gets a little more depth on the wet, but I love the adjustable recovery on the Nox. Nice to be able to turn it up when wanting to cover lots of sand. Target IDs I don't really worry about as I only ever ignore obvious iron. Any iffys I investigate. The ctx3030 is more refined in its discrimination, and does a better job at ID'ing rusty crown caps. But I have to say on a long hunt the weight on the Nox more than makes up for it.

I think some of that chatter could be eliminated to back ground noise with modulation. I was hunting the other day with the Xcal in PP in the water and realized ....... hummm im hearing the same hard pan minerals that i hear with the Nox...... but they modulated to weaker volume. Changing the modulation...... to say like a 6 gain over a 10 gain could remove a good bit of chatter with out adjusting the sensitivity. Just curious...... has anyone tried turning the volume down to see if it creates a little more modulation without affecting a targets depth? I guess i have to consider the headphones as well...... the better/responsive the headphones the more you hear.... including minerals. So some not noticing any chatter..... could just be headphones .... not the machine or program.

Just got a Nox 600 2 weeks ago and have put in 30 hours plus on it. So far I love it and it surprises me with the amount of targets that it produces. Haven't gotten a lot of older coins like some folks are finding but to be fair I'm not hitting older parks that would produce those finds. I am finding clad every time out and the occasional ring. It does very well detecting in fresh water at the lake. I'm pretty happy that I bought the 600.

So is it legal to detect the Hawaiian beaches. I want to bring my Equinox 800. I just bought the 15” coil. As a back up I’m bringing the F75 and maybe a Lobo.

Check sand in the coil cover - does what you experience in terms of falsing when in motion. Also, haven't had a chance to try it but; would noise cancel work even better when the coil in under (salt) water?

For those that haven’t been in the water yer . Use the WM08 clipped to the back strap of my hat . But as soon as the head of the Equanox goes under you loose the signal.
So next year I’m getting water headphones for mine .
Also I swing with the 6” and it was slow going but I got three rings and one junk one wedding band and one 18k .
A few days ago I did it with the 11” coil and the water drag hen I was done made the EQ feel like a brick and my wrist was sore and I have big wrist , lol bit in the high heat it all felt good
Doug

Donut said:
For those that haven’t been in the water yer . Use the WM08 clipped to the back strap of my hat . But as soon as the head of the Equanox goes under you loose the signal.
So next year I’m getting water headphones for mine .
Also I swing with the 6” and it was slow going but I got three rings and one junk one wedding band and one 18k .
A few days ago I did it with the 11” coil and the water drag hen I was done made the EQ feel like a brick and my wrist was sore and I have big wrist , lol bit in the high heat it all felt good
Doug

With the WM08 on the back of the hat it will not work correctly no matter where you are.

Dave

Really I didn’t know that . So why is mine working fine. What am I doing wrong. I got three rings Tuesday, one cheap , one wedding band and one 18k gold , wonder what I’m doing wrong. All in waist deep water

Donut said:
Really I didn’t know that . So why is mine working fine. What am I doing wrong. I got three rings Tuesday, one cheap , one wedding band and one 18k gold , wonder what I’m doing wrong. All in waist deep water

It took me a while to figure out mine was not working good on the back of my hat. Sometimes it would work and then maybe my dense head would block it. My point is, do not trust it in that location.

Dave

Ok thanks I’ll keep a closer eye on that.
Thank you.
Next year I’m getting waterproof headphones

Doug

I personally think The Equinox is Minelabs answer to the CTX complaints from consumer users. They made it lighter, fast, waterproof, better screen, and, more simplified to use. Lets not forget price! The Equinox works fantastic on the beach. The price is justified for what it offers. So far it has been a proven winner for me. I've used The Sovereign Gt , Excalibur , E-trac. Great machines and still are. I stopped using them mainly because of the weight issues. The Equinox has now allowed me to hunt longer without breaking my arm, which it now allows me to hunt longer bettering my chances. It certainly performs better than my E-trac on the beach. More sensitive on small gold for sure from what i found. I'm glad i didn't buy A CTX. I don't believe you get your $2,500. worth in performance in comparative to an $800.00 Equinox. That is just my opinion!

Joe Black said:
I personally think The Equinox is Minelabs answer to the CTX complaints from consumer users. They made it lighter, fast, waterproof, better screen, and, more simplified to use. Lets not forget price! The Equinox works fantastic on the beach. The price is justified for what it offers. So far it has been a proven winner for me. I've used The Sovereign Gt , Excalibur , E-trac. Great machines and still are. I stopped using them mainly because of the weight issues. The Equinox has now allowed me to hunt longer without breaking my arm, which it now allows me to hunt longer bettering my chances. It certainly performs better than my E-trac on the beach. More sensitive on small gold for sure from what i found. I'm glad i didn't buy A CTX. I don't believe you get your $2,500. worth in performance in comparative to an $800.00 Equinox. That is just my opinion!

In the last two days, I have hunted my Nox 800 and Sovereign GT on a rough salt water beach. I will take my hip-mounted Sovereign hands downs for the amount of time one can hunt.

Dave

Dave, you are right! That and Excalibur are darn good machines! I still own both. I will keep those machines and likely won’t part with them! I stopped using GT in fear of getting dunked and salt air attack since not sealed. It has proven itself on performance. My old Excalibur is worn due to mileage and is in need of service. Not worth fixing & not cost effective. I did luck out and find a never used Excalibur 2 off local Craigslist for $900.00. It came with dealer package, including Minelab pinpointed too! I couldn’t pass! I’m debating to keep it as museum piece. Call me crazy I know! I’m now using Equinox in part cause I can hunt longer. I like what it offers all around. It works great! It’s currently the answer for me! I now own 2 Equinox units just in case one goes down. I don’t. Want any down time, especially if a hot streak is going on. I’ve seen it!! Finally a machine that offers a great balance of features for the money! Can’t wait to see what Minelab comes up with in the future. Thanks Dave for reply!

goodmore said:
Some have dumped the Nox because of it's inability to distinguish trash like bottle caps. I have no idea if the update has helped in that area. True beach hunters do not want to analyse targets. In fact if you are in the water you don't have time. BBS did it with the first tone. Other than that I think the Equinox can do an outstanding job in the wet. It is as deep as any Non PI I have ever used on a beach. With a 15 inch coil down the road it could be better yet. It sure is lighter than the CTX. Fatigue is a huge factor while beach hunting because it is just hard work. Digging unessesary holes and swinging a heavy detector take their toll. It is all about time, energy, and the ability to read a beach.
. Exactly! That’s why I don’t swing the CTX. And what’s sad is you could buy two Equinox’s and still have money to purchase other coils and new carbon shaft. All this for a machine that performs darn near the CTX!