Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 6" coil Holy Cow

u2robert

Tried the 6" coil on the Equinox in my test garden wow what depth for a 6" coil I was blow away & it looks so little when I put it on the shaft I was thinking 6-7" at the most, hell no it was hitting 9-10" coins and 3 ringers.
My test garden was planted over 5 years ago.

I know, right! I was digging Barber dimes in the wild almost as deep as my probe. When I put the big coil on to hunt the hot spot and the rest of the yard - nadda coin.
HH Jeff

I noticed the same with mine it goes deeep!

It's very deep. I like it much better than the 11" stock coil. I'd love to have a 9" coil.

Yet....they screwed the pooch on the larger one. Which really needs to be addressed ........i agree..... a 9" coil would be a nice coil if it was a depth monster like the 6" one.

Dang you guys ... now I got to go get the 6" nox coil and go back over all the places I hunted with the larger one.
This is getting to be a worse hobby than photography when it comes to accessory's you cant live without.

My opinion for what it is worth.......I read a post one time and I absolutely agreed with it......no matter how you design it, a detector is still a weighted coil on the end of a stick. Having said that I have to say the six inch coil is a pleasure to swing compared to the stock coil. Yes the Equinox is light in weight, but the balance is way off.

The stock coil is a happy medium for many types of hunting from beach to dirt to trying to find tiny tiny gold nuggets.

I am mainly a beach hunter when I do detect which isn't often enough. I do occasionally do a little dirt coin hunting. I sure do not have the hours on the Equinox that many have out there, but I do have an opinion on coil selection.

The six inch coil sure is deep for its size. It is easier to pinpoint a target using it. Pretty much a no brainer there. But when it comes to unmasking good targets I see little benefit over the stock coil. In fact after rehunting several pounded to death sites I maybe pulled one or two coins out of the trash that the stock coil did not find. And I might be able to attribute that to just knowing the detector better at that point. Factoring in the coverage area of a sweep pattern one has to do the math on time vs recovery. I also seem to dig more great sounding nails with the six inch coil.

So in the end I will conclude that we all hunt different areas in different dirt looking for different targets. The six inch coil is a great coil no doubt about that. But in my final opinion the coil just isn't going to turn that magic detector into something with better magic. Unless you hunt a tremendous amount of time the investment is a losing proposition. In other words you just are not going to find the targets to pay for it over the stock coil.

Since the stock coil is so good at what it does when compared to any benefits of the six inch coil I will go further and say a nine inch coil would offer nothing but maybe a slight improvement on weight and pinpointing.

If you have the money and want a fun coil to use then by all means make the purchase.

If you think that a six inch coil is going to make that old site pop back to life you are mistaken.

I respectfully agree and disagree. Having lots of hours in on the stock and six inch I would agree the stock coil is the best overall performance coil, and properly set up it won't leave much in the way of coins/ larger targets for the 6 inch. When the six inch is applied to the right site say one that loaded with iron {20 pops per sweep} like the cabin sites I hunt it will indeed bring a smile to your face. Rehunting these iron patches the sheer volume of non ferrous targets missed by the stock coil is astounding.
JMO
HH Jeff

I’m with Jeff On the 6” it works great especially on the beach dunes in tight spots I would not use it on the whole beach but on the hillside where the dunes meet the beach it’s nice and light for that .

I can sum this up in one sentence as to this subject & the Equinox (coils).------If I couldn't have the 6" coil for my E-800 I wouldn't have the E-800.

laplander said:
I respectfully agree and disagree. Having lots of hours in on the stock and six inch I would agree the stock coil is the best overall performance coil, and properly set up it won't leave much in the way of coins/ larger targets for the 6 inch. When the six inch is applied to the right site say one that loaded with iron {20 pops per sweep} like the cabin sites I hunt it will indeed bring a smile to your face. Rehunting these iron patches the sheer volume of non ferrous targets missed by the stock coil is astounding.
JMO
HH Jeff

You have made good points. I will add the following opinion: in my view an elliptical coil that is smaller than the 11" stock coil would be beneficial during gold nugget detecting. But since Minelab has not produced an elliptical coil for the Equinox 800, the 6" DD coil may fill the void. Also, I imagine that the smaller coil should make it easier to detect tight or narrow areas near fences and such, but I don't really know. Sometime in the future I will know the answers, since I ordered a 6" coil from Amazon yesterday,

D&P-OR said:
I can sum this up in one sentence as to this subject & the Equinox (coils).------If I couldn't have the 6" coil for my E-800 I wouldn't have the E-800.

Had my 6" coil for a week - sold it!

Stock coil is way better and more than capable in very very trashy parks, EVEN better than the 6".

Matt

I love mine. I used to swing a T2 LTD with the 5" DD coil which was very good as well but having the multi-frequency of the Equinox coupled with this 6" coil is nothing short of amazing.:detecting:

staffydog33 said:
D&P-OR said:

Had my 6" coil for a week - sold it!

Stock coil is way better and more than capable in very very trashy parks, EVEN better than the 6".

Matt

Don't now how you figure that in very trashy parks, don't make sense to me?

I do enjoy a small coil at times! I have one for the CTX and the Explorer. I do feel there’s something that can happen though, and that is...a smaller coil,because of the condensed field,can be more sensitive to tiny trash and mineral pockets which can be detrimental,while the stock or larger coil may not respond to these things at all. It’s a trade off,and more than likely WHY different results are reported with the exact same setup. The hunting conditions are what changes,and everyone’s are different. A tiny coil can be really fun to use,when nothing else is cutting through those tabs and nails! Just 2 more cents...

IDXMonster said:
I do enjoy a small coil at times! I have one for the CTX and the Explorer. I do feel there’s something that can happen though, and that is...a smaller coil,because of the condensed field,can be more sensitive to tiny trash and mineral pockets which can be detrimental,while the stock or larger coil may not respond to these things at all. It’s a trade off,and more than likely WHY different results are reported with the exact same setup. The hunting conditions are what changes,and everyone’s are different. A tiny coil can be really fun to use,when nothing else is cutting through those tabs and nails! Just 2 more cents...

True statement quote IDX can be more sensitive to tiny trash and mineral pockets
But is also more sensitive to compromised pieces of high tones that a larger coil will not see did I just type that lol anyway a tool for a different job . sube