Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyones V3 work properly?

DELTA196 said:
[pre]
Man this forum is full of V3 problems. From headphones to coils? Product or consumer????????
[/pre]

Isn't this what forums are for??? Post up your problem and wait to get some help/suggestions in correcting it. Learn along with everyone else, share your experiencies and in turn help others. As far as actual product problems, there seems to have been a few but Whites have jumped straight on to it and fixed it, can't ask for more than that.

Learning is hard

n/t

I'm running a Vision 1.0 and getting to the point where not too much "figuring it out" is taking place. Oh Oh....guess I have to start learning it now.

Mine appears to be working fine, but I might just be an average user who doesn't know any better. Still trying to learn how to use the deep silver program efficiently, but I think any problems there are user errors. I've put about 30 hours in on the machine, and so far I like it much, much better than my XLT, which I really liked.

Mine works perfect. I think the problem is inexperienced users. This machine is very hot in factory settings and I have found that in most areas I have to adjust down the settings and in some cases change to a concentric coil my favorite for this is the 950. The D2 is more sensitive to EMI. I don't think this machine is for the first timer or novice. Ive been using Whites detectors for 32 years and I cant imagine starting with this detector. Read and reread everything from the manual to the forums. Then plant some coins and practice with the settings. Good Luck!!

So, let me get this straight...anytime that a user is having problems with their V3, it must be from lack of experience, not reading their manual, or is a first-time user. Correct?

Fire Fighter 43 said:
I think the problem is inexperienced users.
NW1886 said:
I'm running a Vision 1.0 and getting to the point where not too much "figuring it out" is taking place. Oh Oh....guess I have to start learning it now.

Any time you go out and plunk down hard earned money on something (that has to be learned to achieve a fuller capability, just expecting this sheer intent to muscle them through any potential work in learning, is going to be buying closet candy. I've been in this hobby for many years. Do you know how many people I've helped with there machines? Many....but always stop short when I learn that they actually have absolutely no interest in the actual learning (the process seems to hurt their self confidence usually because they can't distinguish between ignorant and stupid) or just want something for nothing. (That IS what treasure hunting means to them.)

Interesting. So, all the postings from others that are having issues must simply because they are inexperienced, do not read their manuals, or are first-time users who probably do not have any business getting a V3 in the first place.

I am somewhat disappointed in this site - I come here because usually there is good information from nice people who are supportive of one another. I have seen post-ups of people who have studied the manuals, watched the DVDs, had many hours on their V3, searched forums for answers, but are still experiencing problems. Instead of providing helpful suggestions, they get slammed for not reading their manuals or that the V3 is just too much for them, etc. etc.

In all fairness, there truly are some helpful people that are not sarcastic and condescending - they are appreciated and their opinions are valued - thank you.

Nugget

No, you are not correct Nugget. You are making some strong assumptions. Many of us has just noticed a pattern in the majority of the problems users report. I have been hunting for 30 years and helping people with their detecting for 10 of those right here on Findmall Forums. I think I covered the majority of common problems in my statement.

"It seems that the V3, for the most part, is too hot out of the box for many, just the opposite of the mild settings on the DFX. I think the number of adjustments available on the V is overwhelming to some and it is obvious that many new users don't even bother to read the instructions, while others expect expert results with limited experience metal detecting. The reasons are many for the complaints and if you read the other forums, complaining is pretty consistent across the board regardless of brand."

That statement was not meant to single out anyone and their problems or even the brand of detector they use. Just my observations. There is more "expert" V3 advise given on this forum than any other forum on the Internet, BY FAR.

I remember my first night out with the V3. Man it WAS overwhelming. I took delivery about 30 minutes before I hit the ground with it. I actually had to have my buddy turn the volume down because I couldn't find it (or maybe it was that the menu intimidated me). :biggrin: :surrender:Once I read the manual and watched the DVD the menu's became very simple and at this point I can access just about everything I want to be tweaking within seconds.

I was somewhat frustrated with the V at first. Embarrassing to say I expected a bit more of an "easy button" detector. I was shredded by my buddy with a explorer one night. Seeing my frustration the next time out he brought HIS V and pulled a bunch of wheats and a Barber dime in the 9" range near some iron. (I think I've mentioned this before) He walked up to me with the dime and said "we DO NOT have an equipment failure". From that point forward I've settled down and focused on learning the little nuances of this new machine. I went back to the stock C&J program (turned a little hotter) and I've been finding deep silver almost every trip out. From here I'll work my way up to some of the hotter custom stuff.

oh, btw, our last trip to the same basic spot I bested my buddy and his explorer in both wheats and silver. He's what I consider expert and it doesn't happen often. We do not have equipment failure!!!!

I bought my Spectra sept. 2nd and spent the next month reading the book and finding the control methods, and practicing with it.
Now I go out and find at least 100 coins and three silver and two rings each time I go out for six hours. I know I am a novice with
this machine (even tho I have been detecting for 44 yrs) and have lot to learn before I am proficient with it. No problems!!!.

Good to hear that you all are having great experiences with your V3 after taking the time to learn about them - awesome!

Larry - point taken, not meaning to offend anyone and I know you were not singling anyone out with your post. My only point is that lack of experience, not reading the manual/watching the dvd, and first-time metal detector users may be factors in why some people are having problems with their V3, but that is not always the case. I think it is great that you share your vast knowledge on this website - I know that takes time (time away from metal detecting which is a travesty!) and efforts - kudos to you!

Nugget

NuggetBucket said:
Good to hear that you all are having great experiences with your V3 after taking the time to learn about them - awesome!

Larry - point taken, not meaning to offend anyone and I know you were not singling anyone out with your post. My only point is that lack of experience, not reading the manual/watching the dvd, and first-time metal detector users may be factors in why some people are having problems with their V3, but that is not always the case. I think it is great that you share your vast knowledge on this website - I know that takes time (time away from metal detecting which is a travesty!) and efforts - kudos to you!

Nugget

Why don't some people have fun with this hobby. I have noticed that some people make this such a hard thing to do. Why buy something you may not understand. Get a machine you don't have to Fidel with and go out and have some fun.

You know, some of us love to fiddle with stuff...and have fiddled for dozens of hours an more...
And are still having problems and *wonder* if there is something wrong with the box.

Now, I know those of you who have machines that are working great have a hard time conceiving that there may be something actually wrong with the aspect of the machine for other folks.

Lets take a look at the record of this product launch and see if it is possible, if not probable:

There are four "pieces" to the V3 if you bought the model with wireless headsets included. Lets look at those, and white's track record with this product launch:

Part #1 : Coil - Well, the coil problems weren't user error. Many coils were sent out on new machines out-of-spec. Whites is handling this situation professionally, kudos to them. NOTE: users who had problems with their machines due to this were NOT just too stupid or lazy to make those coils work, some were sent out wrong from the factory. Some machines work great, you're lucky. Others of us were not so lucky, myself included.

Part #2: Display Pod - Well, the display pod problems weren't user error. Many display pods that went out split apart for no user-related reason. Whites indicated that the wrong parts were used to secure some of the pods. Did my pod explode? Why, yes it did.

Part #3: Headphones - Well, the headphones problems weren't user error. Vision software was not quite correct. While volume was a matter of personal taste, the oscillation between ears, etc. resulted from the headphone system being programmed incorrectly out of the factory. Did my headphones have the problem? Yes, as every other early buyer's headphones did.

Ok, still with me? Also note, that in 2 of 3 cases, some machines had the problem and others did not.

Part #4: The Box - Well, if your V3 does not seem to be sending/receiving/interpreting signal correctly, or reports depth incorrectly, you are lazy. Too lazy to read. Oh yeah, and stupid. And should go with a machine that doesn't require as much thought, because hey, you can't handle it, ya moron, quit ruining this sport for the rest of us and learn to have fun, why don't ya?

Forget that Whites has even suggested to me and some other users that have posted on other forums that there were some "Balancing" and "Calibration" issues with some (though not all) of the early visions that could impact depth. Surely they just say that to the really stupid customers to make them feel better. Now that's customer service, helping lazy idiots feel ok about it, one lazy idiot at a time.:angel:

The most important thing here is that Whites FIXES the problems, turns repairs around fast, and has incredible customer service. Any complex new product launched can have problems, so I don't mean to give those great folks an overly hard time, I only mean to highlight that, given the track record, those of use who have worked hard with our V3s AND enjoyed the learning process and look forward to learning more MAY be justified in having concerns when performance remains so consistently dismal.

Tater

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.​

Without a doubt, White's IS the best when it comes to product development and customer service!

The DFX and XLT are good detector, and I personally prefer my XLT of the two. But they are come with rather mellow programs for some of us. they work, but can be enhanced. The V3, on the other hand, comes with programs that are on the warm-to-hot side. Quite a change from the past and I think it's been a challenge for some hobbyists to appreciate the fact that you need to REDUCE some gain settings to get good performance.

Many will find they can' get the most performance out of the V3, and that's to be expected. We all have different learning and/or patience levels, and naturally a variety of hunting styles. I know some who are very content with their XLT or MXT or XL pro. A few who tried the V3 but went back to an old favorite.

To be certain, the V3, while a top pick for some, is NOT for everyone.

Monte

Being stupid isn't a privilege to be abused, Monte, it is hard earned honor, and it comes with a badge that should be worn with pride. With enough head injuries, hours of reality television, artificial sweeteners, and sleep deprivation, you might be able to achieve it. If you're not interested in making the effort, just keep hanging out with the smart guys. You're missing out, I tell ya.

:nerd: vs :super:

Tater.

Taterhead said:
Being stupid isn't a privilege to be abused, Monte, it is hard earned honor, and it comes with a badge that should be worn with pride. With enough head injuries, hours of reality television, artificial sweeteners, and sleep deprivation, you might be able to achieve it. If you're not interested in making the effort, just keep hanging out with the smart guys. You're missing out, I tell ya.

:nerd: vs :super:

Tater.

LMAO!!!!

njgreg said:
Why don't some people have fun with this hobby. I have noticed that some people make this such a hard thing to do. Why buy something you may not understand. Get a machine you don't have to Fidel with and go out and have some fun.

If I were you, I would not insult someone's intelligence in a public forum without running spell check first...I'm just saying...

I have an absolute blast metal detecting (the key is to bring a cooler with a couple of cold ones - mindful of the bottle caps, of course!!). And I agree, you should probably not buy something you may not understand. Now if you check all three of my posts (this being my fourth), you will see that I have not said anything at all about not understanding my V3. Nope, nary a single complaint about my V3! But if I do have any issues, I will be sure to take your advice and get something that I don't have to "Fidel" with! :nopity:

Now get on out there and have some fun!

Nugget

And to add to your post....
"And I agree, you should probably not buy something you may not understand. "

And if you do buy it and see that it's a total albatross to you, please by all means put it on EBay or some other auction and don't clutter up the forums about not being able to use the V3 or complaining about White's. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an accomplished detectorist but I do go out and enjoy every minute while I'm detecting and I know if I have a problem, I also know where to go to get help.

Check my quote below and try to figure out which one fits you.....
Happy detecting all. Jim

I thought the place to go for help is the forums, with Whites as the end-all authority if you can't find what you need? Where do you go for help if you need it? It seems like a huge part of the traffic here is people looking for, getting, and giving assistance to other detectorists when they ask for/need help...and that kind of value on a forum brings visitors and visitors bring revenue to the forums to keep them alive and kicking for the fun stuff, like hunt reports, best finds, and other fun stuff? I found this forum searching for information on the V3. I bought the V3 because I realized that when I needed help, I had somewhere to go for help when I ran into trouble. Now I click somewhere on this site 25 times a day and have read every single thread in this category and many on the MXT forum as well..

If nobody ever posted their problems, there wouldn't be this wealth of information in other users responses. If there wasn't this wealth of information, I am betting that a lot of people (who are now doing great with their machines) wouldn't be doing so great and some wouldn't have bought the machine in the first place.

Tater

NuggetBucket said:
So, let me get this straight...anytime that a user is having problems with their V3, it must be from lack of experience, not reading their manual, or is a first-time user. Correct?

Fire Fighter 43 said:
I think the problem is inexperienced users.
NW1886 said:

Any time you go out and plunk down hard earned money on something (that has to be learned to achieve a fuller capability, just expecting this sheer intent to muscle them through any potential work in learning, is going to be buying closet candy. I've been in this hobby for many years. Do you know how many people I've helped with there machines? Many....but always stop short when I learn that they actually have absolutely no interest in the actual learning (the process seems to hurt their self confidence usually because they can't distinguish between ignorant and stupid) or just want something for nothing. (That IS what treasure hunting means to them.)

Interesting. So, all the postings from others that are having issues must simply because they are inexperienced, do not read their manuals, or are first-time users who probably do not have any business getting a V3 in the first place.

I am somewhat disappointed in this site - I come here because usually there is good information from nice people who are supportive of one another. I have seen post-ups of people who have studied the manuals, watched the DVDs, had many hours on their V3, searched forums for answers, but are still experiencing problems. Instead of providing helpful suggestions, they get slammed for not reading their manuals or that the V3 is just too much for them, etc. etc.

In all fairness, there truly are some helpful people that are not sarcastic and condescending - they are appreciated and their opinions are valued - thank you.

Nugget
\

Yes in a lot of cases. But anyone can buy a V it's their business. So your disappointed. The door does not swing hard.

NuggetBucket said:
njgreg said:

If I were you, I would not insult someone's intelligence in a public forum without running spell check first...I'm just saying...

I have an absolute blast metal detecting (the key is to bring a cooler with a couple of cold ones - mindful of the bottle caps, of course!!). And I agree, you should probably not buy something you may not understand. Now if you check all three of my posts (this being my fourth), you will see that I have not said anything at all about not understanding my V3. Nope, nary a single complaint about my V3! But if I do have any issues, I will be sure to take your advice and get something that I don't have to "Fidel" with! :nopity:

Now get on out there and have some fun!

Nugget

Ohhhhh, I see using spell check makes you intelligent