Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

best all round detector, bias free opinions please

I believe if you are new to the hobby, something simple like a turn on and go detector may be best. Maybe a Tesoro or another brand that is simple to learn. To get a high dollar detector as your first one could be quiet confusing. So much to learn........Jack

I have been displeased with everyone of the nearly 100 detectors I have owned in the past 30 years for one reason or another. Then, one day several years ago I lost my job and had to wait for a few months before I found a job. I was so thankful for the lowly BH Tracker and another TR antique that kept me eating. I lived in a van, took showers with a plastic solar heated shower, rode a bicycle I kept in the back of the van to coinhunting sites, and cooked on a gasoline survival stove. I was a KING hobo and nobody could tell I was anything more than just a regular guy. NOW, I am so thankful for the hobby itself-the detector itself doesn't matter to me anymore 'cause it's not what counts. When I see the accounts of the many valuable finds that just about ANY detector would have found-I can't help but chuckle and wonder. Thank God our hobby has not been snuffed out because of the carelessness of others. To me, finding a quarter at 4", being told in one form or another WHAT it is, and not having to carry a minesweeper size detector to overload is a miracle in itself.

Slingshot, I have a jar in my living room that is full of fun-time money found with a detector. If I pull out a penny I'm happy. You are inspiring to anyone who needs to be reminded of the fun and rewards that the hobby can bring about.

I heard that a new Minelab matchine is on the way. It is finding targets in hunted out fields and nickles at 14" at the same time it rejects the junk. The secret is discremination. I hope to see it in action soon.

Very true comment. Tesoro was the top selling detector for years in Europe as we only really need ferrous/non ferrous I.D. in an audio form. No probability meters or gimmicks. You can also cover a lot more land in a set period than with the slow sweep multifrequency machines.

The only drawback is they are not "all round" machines but then have we got such a thing as an all round machine yet ?

I'll say this minelab did make the best detector for coin hunting. I went over place that was hunted hard pulled out more old coins then defx ect infact he at the time never found a coin in he's yard. My uncle got the new ahites v3 all i can say is he's find have WENT WAY UP!. If you got the cash and love the hobby this is the detector to get and will work with your sef coil. By the way he using the sef 10x12.

We hunted to gather i was pulling out coins in spot he hunted hard with my minelab se when he was using a dfx. Won't know if it's the whites v3 or the coil. but i'm getting 10x12 in day or to.

But whites serivce is best out there imo, and if you sell the detector with in 2 yr the warranty goes to the new owner. Which keeps the price of the detector higher then most. My vote is the v3 hands down if you got the cash and love the hobby. Check them out some people say they are very good all around detector.

Thanks silverdime, I am up in the air of which one to get. The v3, or the gpx4500. I want to go after gold that is near by and I am fully aware of the gpx performance. I also like the Whites line and love coin-shuting. So I am stuck with the question,(v3 or gpx and a coin-shuter to go with it)?

Has anyone used the v3 for prospecting, and if so, how would you rank it?

Minelab will only service there detector up to 10 yrs and after that your sol. I have dealt with minelab u.s.a service center. I i will say it was not pleasant. But they do make find gold detector but imo only serivce you get out them is buying the detector after thatr good luck!

I have dealt with white service all i can say is A++++. They even fix my sec detector that was 25 + years old at time it was sent in. Imo i look at different company.I can only give you my opinon of these 2 companys becuase they are what i own.

If are going be doing alot gold hunting then buy a detector just for that. Higher khz the better it will sniff out small pieces of gold. smaller the loop better it will see small pieces as well. Large the loop less sensitive to small items. I like my se but i just don't like the service nor will i be buying anything from them again BUT THIS IS ONLY MY OPINON..

If I new the v3 could handle the gold fields then that would be my choice. But I do both, prospecting and treasure hunting, and in some places the coin-shuter would come in handy in the gold field. I know the v3 is an outstanding detector. Unfortunatly, I have'nt heard if it can handle the prospecting. That I guess is the biggest question I have. Around where I live, depth is also a facter. I will probably need to give one a test drive.

Thank you Silverdime.