Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

best all round detector, bias free opinions please

bluehazeman

hi i`m fairly new to the hobby and chose a Garrett 250 as a starter machine and added a Detech SEF 15X12 COIL, what can i say that`s not already been said about this excellent little machine, good with 6.5x9 stock coil, amazing with the Detech SEF attached giving machines costing over twice as much a run for the money, well done Mr Garrett this machine + the 150 will surely be the reason for tens of thousands of people taking up the rewarding hobby of metal detecting.What i`m asking in this post is for owners of various machines/makes both past and present to try to come up with what could be considered the best allrounder there is, i know some are great for nuggetts some for coins some for dry land,some beaches/wet, some brute power=depth (Nexus) but i`d like a motion machine with fast(very) recovery speed, well made, won`t need a PHD in computer science to use, takes a variety of coils,good warranty, good battery life, and sensibly priced

Take a look at the T2 Teknetics..or Fisher F75..both offered by First Texas............Both offer plowed field operations....
both sensitive machines, both pretty much can do it all...............both have manual "FastGrab" ground balance..

White's MXT. 3 modes - coin/jewlery - relics - prospecting. And a very good selection of different coils.
BB

That would be a tough question for many of us on this side of the pond. What works best in our ground, US, may not work very well in yours. UK Brian or someone from your area might have the best answers. Like the old saying, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

My unbias opinion is free,a Minelab Explorer or Sovereign is used by a lot of hunters on the other side of the pond.Either one of these units will be light years ahead of what you are using.Putting a large coil on a clad machine is like putting lipstick on a pig.

:clapping: I cannot add anymore to your statement.I had a hell of a good laugh:thumbup:
But what you said is so true:detecting:

Put that lipstick on the beautiful lady---the cadillac---uhhh, I mean the Explorer/Etrac!!!

don`t know about lipstick on a pig: must be an american custom, but my 250 with the Detech SEF 15X12 coil just trounced my mates Fisher F5 on depth,pinpointing and discrimination ! so it must be doing something right:clapping:maybe he needs the lipstick on the F5 as it was well and truely blown:shocked: away. these coils will totally transform many machines and whatever machine i buy next will have to be able to accommodate one:ukflag: you have to remember that in the good OLD UK we have had civilisations that used metal extensively for well over 2000 years so a coil that goes deep is a must, the USA is a totally different proposition with very little worth finding of over 200 years (nuggets exempt) so most stock coils are more than adequate, that`s life we`ve got such a long and varied history that there`s far more good stuff in the dirt:thumbup:

Welll... those are strange comments bluehazeman. You come on to ask a bunch of Americans what we think is best and then discount what we tell you. Why not keep your freakin' 250 and take a hike (to the local tot lot).

BTW... I don't find it much of a treasure hunt to walk through a farmer's field after a deep plow and pick up roman coins on the surface... Maybe that's why you find the 250 to be adequate.

:puke:

My suggestion find a hunter in your area that uses an Explorer,Etrac or Sovereign and trounce them with your over coiled Ace.It is what it is.That's my honest opinion.I hope you do well.By the way you probably have more money invested in your coil that you do in your detector LOL.

I really like the Whites TDI as the best all around detector it will find targets in any ground much much deeper than any VLF ever made, and it is fairly to ID targets with the units tones, I really like the way this thing sounds and reacts to targets to me it was the easiest detector to learn to use and the most fun and accurate....

I purchased an x-terra 705. I'm still learning it. Good machine with lots of support. Multiple coil freqs. I'll probably get a Sovereign GT in the future (????). An under water machine would be nice and so would a two-box. TALK TO YOUR LOCAL TREASURE HUNTERS SEE WHAT THEY LIKE AND USE... If your best friend has a garrett get a garrett if he uses a whites get a whites. Local support goes a long ways. None of my friends hunt so I bought the 705 (co-worker has an x70) and almost bought a similarly priced garrett that would accept a two box coil setup, and may still (depends on how much overtime I can put in). That is because I have a line on a big cache that would pay for 50 of these mid to high end machines.

This stuff is addictive.

Snide coments don't get much done, from either side of the Pond.

Jeff

Shambler said:
Welll... those are strange comments bluehazeman. You come on to ask a bunch of Americans what we think is best and then discount what we tell you. Why not keep your freakin' 250 and take a hike (to the local tot lot).

BTW... I don't find it much of a treasure hunt to walk through a farmer's field after a deep plow and pick up roman coins on the surface... Maybe that's why you find the 250 to be adequate.

i didn't discount anything i was told i simply stated FACTand i did`nt make a comparison between my "over coiled" 250 and the other machines mentioned, at least the romans came to the UK and gave us some of the great heritage that you`ll never have so shamble on over the bad lands etc looking to pick up gold nuggets or maybe the lead from the bullets used to wipe out your indigenous peoples, and i wasn`t just asking americans (how smug of you to think that was the case ,people from across the planet use this forum) BTW thanks to all those adults that have made a constructive comment whether pos or neg please keep it up as i am reading and learning all the time (shambler should have tried this at school):crylol: if in uk i`d stick my "freakin" 250 so far down his neck that he`d be sticking a toothbrush up his fanny to clean them:punch: Thanks again to the rest of you guys:ukflag:

cheers turnmaster i`ve looked at the 705 and it`s had good reviews over here so i`d be grateful if you kept me posted on it`s performance, the sovereign gt is another machine that`s high on my list, no fancy lcd screen , just a good quality no nonsense deep seeking machine which can be had for $550/600 mint 2`nd hand over here, usually with a few extras thrown in:thumbup:

bluehazeman said:
in the good OLD UK we have had civilisations that used metal extensively for well over 2000 years so a coil that goes deep is a must, the USA is a totally different proposition with very little worth finding of over 200 years (nuggets exempt) so most stock coils are more than adequate, that`s life we`ve got such a long and varied history that there`s far more good stuff in the dirt

simpleton said:
maybe the lead from the bullets used to wipe out your indigenous peoples

bigbadassBrit said:
if in uk i`d stick my "freakin" 250 so far down his neck that he`d be sticking a toothbrush up his fanny to clean them

Those comments deserve a discussion about the toothbrush and UK teeth - but I will abstain. If you like the 250 so much go use it! IF you want to know what to use in the UK go walk out in ANY farm field and see the two blokes (again, in EVERY field) swinging an F75 and a Goldmaxx Power. Your comments show you're on here for some other reason - NOT to see what you should purchase that WILL be better than the yellow dinger.

It's asinine to be so offended by a quite accurate and colorful statement about large coils on the 250 that you'd find it necessary to insult the U.S.A.

cheers Jeff i was looking at the 705 with it`s choice of coils so keep me informed on your progress with it please, also have the Sovereign gt on my list,one the 705 =all mod cons lcd screen ,touchpad controls etc , the other the sovereign gt all knobs and switches old school style but i`ve been told an extremely good machine, both these are a little more than i wanted to spend but there are very fine examples of the gt around pre-owned but not many 705`s yet (fair few 70`s) so if i go down that route i`ll save about 1/3 rd on list price and usually the pre-owned machines come with a few extras (often after market coils) so you can get a good amount of equipment for the

bluehazeman said:
Shambler said:

i didn't discount anything i was told i simply stated FACTand i did`nt make a comparison between my "over coiled" 250 and the other machines mentioned, at least the romans came to the UK and gave us some of the great heritage that you`ll never have so shamble on over the bad lands etc looking to pick up gold nuggets or maybe the lead from the bullets used to wipe out your indigenous peoples, and i wasn`t just asking americans (how smug of you to think that was the case ,people from across the planet use this forum) BTW thanks to all those adults that have made a constructive comment whether pos or neg please keep it up as i am reading and learning all the time (shambler should have tried this at school):crylol: if in uk i`d stick my "freakin" 250 so far down his neck that he`d be sticking a toothbrush up his fanny to clean them:punch: Thanks again to the rest of you guys:ukflag:

Well... your not being familiar with "lipstick on a pig" is completely understandable....and this response is so... internationally understandable!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That leaves it's relics behind... [size=x-large]U[/size][size=x-large]S[/size][size=x-large]A[/size] forever !!.

To Quote you Sir..." at least the romans came to the UK and gave us some of the great heritage that you`ll never have so"