Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A cowboys new direction in life..................

Kelley (Texas)

I still remember that fateful day back in March of this year as I was driving to Castroville, Texas to visit with my horses at my cousin's ranch. I had stopped at an ice house for gas and was sitting at one of the picnic tables where I met and had a conversation with a small group of folks passing through the area. That conversation led me to do a lot of thinking about my life...where I had been and where I was heading.

As many of you know, I am a diabetic and a few years ago I encountered a minor health problem that eventually resulted in Debbie and I moving into the city. Needless to say, I have not enjoyed living in this city and I have been guilty of letting everyone know it too! These houses are so close together that your neighbor two houses down the street can hear you fart. The big thrill around here seems to be working in the flower bed and cutting the grass. All those flowers do is attract bees and the lawnmowers make lots of noise...boring way to live.

I will never forget that evening when I told Debbie that I had made a decision about embarking on a new adventure in life. She almost yelled "WHAT!" so loud that I would be willing to bet that all the neighbors within two blocks heard her! She told me that she did not want me doing it...that I would get killed doing such a crazy thing. She said that I have never done such a crazy thing and knew nothing about it...she said that I was heading for trouble big time. The more that she talked the more that I was determined that I was going to do it...she might as well have been talking to the wall. As far as I was concerned, it was a done deal and it was my ticket to freedom...free again at last!

Folks, I had decided that I was going to buy a motorcycle and roam the back roads of Texas...the motorcycle was my ticket out of this city and my means of getting back out into the country side. In the back of my mind a dream was developing about driving a motorcycle across the entire nation, from coast to coast and up into Canada. I now had a dream...I was not going to be living a life working in a silly flower bed or sitting on the front porch wasting my life away.

For a few weeks I shopped around for a motorcycle...Debbie was yapping at my heels the entire time, trying to talk me out of doing this. The more that she talked, the more determined I got that this was a done deal. She told me that I did not know how to ride a motorcycle...I told her that I rode a bicycle when I was a kid and it was similar. I finally found a motorcycle that I liked. It was two years old but only had 5000 miles on it and was in like new condition...I bought it.

It was delivered the next day and Debbie finally realized that it was a done deal, she had lost the battle of trying to talk me out of it. I quickly read the owner's manual and headed out the door to ride it. While trying to figure out how to start it, neighbors slowly appeared in their front yard to watch the excitement. Somehow I finally started the motor and got it into gear, but it kept stalling when I let out on the clutch. I was also getting a little angry at the neighbors...out of the corner of my eye, I could see them laughing! Finally, I did not stall it when I let out on the clutch, but things quickly turned bad...I took out two of my neighbor's trash cans and left a big skid mark across their yard before I got the thing stopped. I pushed the motorcycle into my garage while Debbie calmed down the neighbor and told them that I would fix their yard.

While I was still determined that this was what I was going to do, I quickly realized that I was going to need help with learning to ride this motorcycle...it was not going to be easy like I thought it would be. I enrolled in a motorcycle class where I learned all the safety issues as well as how to ride the motorcycle.

After completing the class, I rode for an entire month in the neighborhood, practicing how to turn the corner and how to stop. I then ventured out onto the open streets to gain experience with riding in traffic, and from there I progressed to riding out to a few farm to market roads just outside of San Antonio. I slowly gained experience and two weeks ago, I took a ride out to Bandera, Texas and yesterday I took a five hour ride to the Fredericksburg, Texas area. Slowly but surely, I am building up my endurance, but must admit that yesterday's ride was a little too much for me because by the time that I arrived back home I was a little tired and my legs were slightly swollen. It will just take time building up my endurance, but that is OK with me, I now have my freedom back.

Folks, now you see why I have not been on the Forum as much lately. I must confess that my good friend, Cierlast, knew about what I have been doing and has really given me support. He found some John Deere decals for my helmet and sent them to me. In a fews weeks I will paint my helmet John Deere green and put the decals on my helmet.

I already have had a few adventures that I will be posting about in the near future...about a nasty, mean spirited snake I encountered on a farm to market road, or about the skunk that decided he was not going to move off the road.

My heart and first love will always be my horses and ranch life...even with the motorcycle, I will always be a cowboy. I must admit that Debbie is scared and wish that I was not doing this motorcycle riding, but she also understands that I need my freedom to roam away from this city. We have even recently talked about moving back out to the country. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

PS: In the last picture, in the background you will see a white colored car parked in a driveway. That is the house where the good looking teacher named Cindy lives.

[attachment 67725 DSC01429.JPG]

[attachment 67727 DSC01434.JPG]

[attachment 67729 DSC01438.JPG]

Nice ride! I don't know why i thought motorcycle when you dropped a couple hints but kept quiet and waited. Congrats and my friend you must (please!) tell us the stories!
Wayne

Your never say die-never quit attitude towards whatever life throws at you is truly inspiring.I thought about you more than once when facing my own minor health problems this year-and learned form your example.Good luck on your new adventures and that is a good looking bike!

When folks encounter a road block in life, they can do one of two things...they can put a smile on their face and move on or they can sit around and cry about it. I have never been one with a "can't do" attitude and have always been one to laugh at life...must admit that sometimes the laugh got me into deeper trouble. :rofl: Dan, you have always been one that I would be proud to ride fence with any day of the week. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Several times I started to e-mail you and let the "P" cat out of the bag. Did you notice that I used the term "P" cat? That should get a reaction out of you know who, right? :rofl:

If all goes well on my long term goal, what are you going to do if you hear a motorcycle with loud pipes coming up your driveway? I have not discussed my long term dream yet with Debbie or anyone else for that matter...the day it is discussed, the "WHAT" will be heard clear across South Texas. Wayne, this motorcycle thing scares Debbie, but she knows that I have a mind of my own. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Cannot say why that popped into my mind... it just did. And usually my guesses are wau out in left field :)

Anyway, Good for you.. I am proud to call you friend and know that you are not letting things get you down. One day, I would like it if you would steer up our way and come into our humble home. It would be an honour. Highway #6 has been rated as one of the top motorcycle rides in Canada.

Take care

Fair winds, calm seas

Mikie

"A dog is better than me, for she has love and does not judge"

As you know, I ride a Honda Helix Scooter, in fact I have put over 3,000 miles on it this summer :D 70mpg:razz: I am closing in on 16,000 miles and love every minute on it.

It is great that you got off your butt and started living again. None of us can do what we once did but there are always something to make us want to get out of bed. You did it. You also can ride all year around and us poor northerners are lucky to have a few months riding a year.

That is a nice bike and you went about it the right way. Took riding lessons an learned to ride safely. I did it the wrong way and just got on the thing and learned. You are probably a much better rider than I am.

You said down below that you only have boring story's about cowboying. Now is it boring to you??? If it is not, just why would it be boring to us. the only way I will ever be able to do any cowboying like you did is through your stories. They are never boring and I don't think anyone that comes to this forum are critics. It is the story that is important, not how well you spell or if the paragraph is in the right place.

It is good to hear you joined the living again. There is always plenty to make life fun if we look for it

n/t

and decide if i should get out the Crown Royal or Bourbon;) Maybe get a GPS bud, but not one that Debbie can track you with:lol:

:) Looks like a Yamaha,i believe.. Fred good for you!! Ya got the windshield,back rest,floorboards,and bags..I don't see a lasso or rifle strap though!

I realize that you'll have to get used to a different kind of feed for that "horse" but I think you'll manage! I mean, how much difference is there between gasoline and oats?:rofl: Fred, you're living the dream and don't let anyone put you down!

[size=x-large]GO FOR IT![/size]

(envious)Dave

I understand your need to get out of the city ,,, I hope you continue and get your freedom back I have been told that a motorcycle is the next thing to getting back in to being in the country as to just passing through it in a car . For myself I do not have what it would take to step across one and ride , at an early age I had a Honda QA50 dirt bike ,,, it was enough to prove that I would never be a rider ...I am glad you have found a away to get some happiness and hope you and your wife will share in it ...
Bill G.
Happy Trails ...may your road be clear and bright

as well as more experience riders like yourself. I really had no choice but to take the class to learn how to ride this bike, especially after hitting the two trash cans and sliding across the neighbors yard. I do recommend all new riders take that class if at all possible, it may just save their lives.

How long have you owned the Honda Helix? I do remember you making mention of it in a few of your stories, but you really never said much about it. Is that the scooter that will reach 70 to 75 MPH? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

gets 70 mile per gallon and top speed is 75mph. I just love the thing. My brother has four bikes and rides me because I have a license but don't know how to shift. Don't have to on the scooter:rofl:

While I am now riding the back roads around here for enjoyment, it is also being done for the purpose of gaining experience and conditioning myself for long distance riding. I would like to one of these days to see an actual wild bear and a moose...from a reasonable distance. I would love to find one of those crystal arrowheads that are up in your neck of the woods too. Thanks for reading my story, please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

A good horse will help keep you out of trouble...this bike will not do that if you make a bad decision. Dave thanks for the encouragement. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I am enjoying riding some of the remote back roads and stopping at areas of interest. Yesterday, I stopped at an old ice house for gas and sat at a picnic table for a few minutes enjoying watching the local folks pull in to get gas or something to eat. Last week I stopped at a creek beside the road and just enjoyed watching some fish swim in the water...well, I enjoyed it until a water snake came upon the scene. Again, thank you for the kind remarks. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I had to add the Mustang seat that you see on the bike because the other seat was not very comfortable. I also added the Hard Krome pipes a few weeks ago. Those pipes are sorta loud and I have to be careful riding through the neighborhood because they will set off car alarms. I have ordered a kit from MaxAir Engineering that will enable me to modify the carbs and enlarge the air intake. When that kit arrives, this bike will be down for the weekend while I install the kit and adjust the valves...something that I have never done before, but I have a good repair manual and the tools to do it with. I have the confidence that if I take my time and have patience that I can do it...maybe a few choice curse words will help too! When I am done, this bike should give good reliable performance...and should serve my purpose of riding long distance solo. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

you are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it! I am pleased you are regaining your freedom from the drone of city life. Debbie doesn't mean to be negative, she just worries, as any wife would. Perhaps in time, she may enjoy riding with you! Like Wayne, I'm just wondering where we can find a stetson helmet! :lol: You are very smart in taking the lessons, and learning what could be life saving measures, especially after taking out the neighbors trash cans! :lol:

It looks like you have plenty of room to store things, so make sure you have a good poncho, or rain suit! I can't wait to see a photo of you on it. Come on, don't be shy! We are all envious of you for having the determination to put your foot down and do something that will make you happy! It's not so much riding a motorcycle that is scarey,.....it's more that other drivers do not respect people on motorcyles as much as they should sometimes, so just be extra cautious and you will be fine.

Just remember, when you get tired, you can always set up camp or get a room until you are ready to go again. Benton, Arkansas is not the far from you Cowboy, and nothing would tickle me more than for you to take a trip up this way sometime.

I am just so excited for you! Be careful and have fun. Love, Sunny

PS You mentioned you and Deb had been thinking about moving back to the country again????? Is this really a serious thought? That would make your adventure even more fulfilling! Keep us posted!