Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

11 INCH COIL VS 6 INCH COIL UNMASKING...

• Thread starter calabash digger
  • Start date
Great Video C.D. and better job getting the juices flowing. I am still a big fan of the 6inch and here is the reason- When relic hunting and I find a house site that is intact the ground is solid chatter {iron} you know the type it gets hunted with the 11 inch first sometimes at 90 degrees. After I am done out comes the six and I work the thickest part. Here is where I agree with your test I have yet to dig a high tone but I always dig numerous low mid tones and some quite deep. I am a very thorough gridder and I know you never get it all.
Ain't this a great hobby!!
HH Jeff

Turn the coil swing over the coin / nail 90 degrees and then see how the smaller coil responds to nail proximity vs the larger coil. With the nail at the top of the coil rather than at the end of the swing, your results should be different than what you demonstrate in the video.

I did that test too....it had to be 2 inches in front of the coil for both coils to pick it up...totally opposite of what I was taught when I started detecting...

And what that means is that the area masked when the detector discriminates out targets due to the iron is that the area of masking for the 6 inch coil is a diameter of 6 inches plus two inches around the circumference or a 10 inch circle while the 11 inch will mask a 15 inch circle; or about 78 square inches vs 176 square inches.

I was really shocked when I did the test in my garden. Even if the small coil had a slight advantage it's not worth the loss in depth.
Mine has been on the forum for sell for a while and haven't even gotten an offer. It's not for me.

I do own and use both the 11'' stock coil and also the 6'' coil,the small 6'' is/will be mainly used for stubble busting when the crops come off at harvest time,especially as they have started cutting the stalks slightly longer so the stock coil cannot get near the ground surface,but the smaller coil can.Of course when the stubble starts rotting or is ploughed in then you can of course start using the stock coil again.......one crop when the 6'' coil will also win hands down is OSR (oil seed rape) which is cut by a combine but the stalks are often left pretty high and the nearest way to describe the stalks its like bamboo stalks its that stiff,so only a smaller coil can get close to the ground,also its that bad the stalks its advisable to wear stout high boots other wise it will rip the bottom of your legs apart.

Also on a roman trading villa site the ground is very very productive coinage wise but the ground is just like black sand its worst than alot of black sand beaches,so once again the only detector/coil combination that can be used is a small coil like the Nox 6'' coil.

jayhop said:
I was really shocked when I did the test in my garden. Even if the small coil had a slight advantage it's not worth the loss in depth.
Mine has been on the forum for sell for a while and haven't even gotten an offer. It's not for me.

Loss in depth? This 6 inch coil is the best 6" coil, for depth and ID, of any 6 inch coil I have ever tested., I have to scratch my head a little to remember when I ever bragged on an 11" coil, for getting tone ID plus VDI at 11 inches, and that is with a coil size equal to the depth.

Any six inch coil, actually reading a coin at 50% depth beyond its physical size, is outstanding. Imagine if the 11" coil would hit and identify @ 50% beyond eleven inches. THAT, just don't exist, but it does exist in this little 6" coil, reading a dime at 9 inches, TID and VDI.

Any separation advantage at all with the 6" is huge IMO.

I like using the 11" coil. I've found that I frequently pull up non-ferrous and ferrous targets from the same hole.

That said, I get out in some areas tied up with sage brush, bushes, rocks and such. Trying to navigate a larger, open frame coil in this obstacle course becomes very difficult with the coil hanging up on all the snags or just too big to fit into gaps between rocks and such. This is when I appreciate having the smaller coil. Just the right tool for the job. :thumbup:

Rich -

5900_XL-1 said:
jayhop said:

Loss in depth? This 6 inch coil is the best 6" coil, for depth and ID, of any 6 inch coil I have ever tested., I have to scratch my head a little to remember when I ever bragged on an 11" coil, for getting tone ID plus VDI at 11 inches, and that is with a coil size equal to the depth.

Any six inch coil, actually reading a coin at 50% depth beyond its physical size, is outstanding. Imagine if the 11" coil would hit and identify @ 50% beyond eleven inches. THAT, just don't exist, but it does exist in this little 6" coil, reading a dime at 9 inches, TID and VDI.

So True

tvr said:
Turn the coil swing over the coin / nail 90 degrees and then see how the smaller coil responds to nail proximity vs the larger coil. With the nail at the top of the coil rather than at the end of the swing, your results should be different than what you demonstrate in the video.

I did that test too....it had to be 2 inches in front of the coil for both coils to pick it up...totally opposite of what I was taught when I started detecting...

And what that means is that the area masked when the detector discriminates out targets due to the iron is that the area of masking for the 6 inch coil is a diameter of 6 inches plus two inches around the circumference or a 10 inch circle while the 11 inch will mask a 15 inch circle; or about 78 square inches vs 176 square inches.

I see what your trying to say....BUT lets say there is a silver dime at 5inchs, a nail at 3 inches and it is two inches off to the left of the dime......Guess what your out of luck with the six inch coil as it will be called iron while the 11 goes ding ding ding on the dime....

3D UNMASKING is LOST with the 6 inch coil......a few quick 3d nail test will prove that to anyone who wants to DEBATE it. I will stick with the 11 to have the 3D unmasking capabilities because I feel like in the type of hunting I do that situation will happen more often then all the targets being on the same plane.

I know the great consensus in the detecting community about how great the little coils are at unmasking. I just cant prove that in my test actually the opposite...

5900_XL-1 said:
jayhop said:

Really it has no advantage in unmasking IMO...WHY? It has no 3D unmasking capabilities....Maybe it might be able to peak in where the 11 cant on a few targets but that benefit is negated by the loss of the 3D unmasking capabilities....IMO....to each his own on this topic.

BTW has anyone actually found a target in the field with the 6 inch coil that the 11 could not see???? Anyone do a nail test other than the same plane test where the 6 out performed the 11?

The probem in your test is that the coin is deeper than the nail. If the coin and the nail are on the same level than the smaller coil separates much better.

Another advantage of the small coil is that is "sees" less iron oxid (Fe3O4) and will ID the target better in hot ground than the larger coil. I my bad vulcanic soil here in West-Germany the small coil does much better in ID'ing deep coins. If I use the small coil on the Equinox I set recovery speed down to 4 and get coins deep to about 8 inches with good ID.

So for all who want to go ahead and sell the 6" coil.....don't do it! Problem is the Equinox does not have a Fe3O4 meter like many Teknetics have to help decide which coil to use.

HH,

Andy

Andy said:
The probem in your test is that the coin is deeper than the nail. If the coin and the nail are on the same level than the smaller coil separates much better.
Andy

Andy,
I think if you read John/Calabash's posts more carefully, that's exactly the point he's trying to make....that in most places, it's quite rare for junk to be at exactly the same level as the target.

Although there are exceptions such as some hard/dead ground where targets are all found on/near the surface....in most live/healthy ground, target and junk can/will be found at vastly different levels.
Or perhaps more concisely, in most ground you WON'T find a target where the target and junk are at different levels....because your detector can't even see the target.

It points out the value of 'in-YOUR-ground' testing. Be skeptical. Test everything. See for yourself what works, and what doesn't!

For instance, in my ground, the small coil fails miserably at ID at depth. In fact, in my ground I could only dream of getting a consistent :8 inches with the 6" coil like you get.
But if it works for you, then that's the right answer....for you.

Good luck, and HH,
:)
mike

The message of Calabash's post/Video is that the 6" coil does not have an advantage over the standard coil. But it is just physics that a detector can't see a deep coin if an iron object is next to the coil on the surface. The detector just rejects the stronger iron target and therefor won't hit on the coin. In that case the detector can't use the advantage of the better target separation over the large coil. But that advantage of target separation becomes visible the closer the level of both targets is.

In a nutshell: In many situations the small coil will separate better than a larger coil, but not always. Calabash's post/Video does not proof that the 6" coil is needless.

HH,

Andy

Is the 6” coil being saturated because there is a shorter distance from the transmitter coil and the receiver coil, on the 6” coil outer ring is closer to the center coil. And on the 11”;the distance is farther so maybe for closer surface targets the sensitivity may have to be lower. Or guessing the processor can’t process fast enough. I’m just guessing hear.

Next thing I’m wondering is the iron bias and if it is set to high it can reduce detecting depth.
Now also the same goes for recovery rate , the higher it is it can also reduce detecting depth,
Now could it be possible that this settings may have to be set different for each coils because of coil size. In order to get the same results,
I’m I’m Michigan so I can’t check because of winter.
I think if someone would try setting the iron bias to 0 and also the recovery speed to 1 then try on a test site on deep targets and see if both coils can hit on the target.
I wish I could check here but I can’t.
I’m no expert for sure.
Doug

A coin with a nail at 2" and 3" above. It's a tough test but it's more realistic to what i encounter in the field vs Montes same plane nail board test.
If your detector setup passes this test you know you have it set right to find targets in amongst nails.

goodmore said:
I have posted my thoughts on the 6 inch coil on various forums. Most of the time they are ignored, and occasionally I get an angry response. Factoring in coverage and depth my personal opinion is the 11 inch stock coil is a no brainer. Some will never agree. Hey that's great. Use what you want to use. My way of thinking......Just don't post inaccurate information. Stop feeding the myth and tell the truth.

The 6 inch coil offers little target seperation value.

Now if we can get people to stop posting that the stock Equinox is light in weight and a pleasure to swing.

Thanks for the test and post.

+1

calabash digger said:
tvr said:

I see what your trying to say....BUT lets say there is a silver dime at 5inchs, a nail at 3 inches and it is two inches off to the left of the dime......Guess what your out of luck with the six inch coil as it will be called iron while the 11 goes ding ding ding on the dime....

3D UNMASKING is LOST with the 6 inch coil......a few quick 3d nail test will prove that to anyone who wants to DEBATE it. I will stick with the 11 to have the 3D unmasking capabilities because I feel like in the type of hunting I do that situation will happen more often then all the targets being on the same plane.

I know the great consensus in the detecting community about how great the little coils are at unmasking. I just cant prove that in my test actually the opposite...

It's not an either or. The 6" is a nice supplement to the 11". That's all.