Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

11 INCH COIL VS 6 INCH COIL UNMASKING...

• Thread starter calabash digger
  • Start date
C

calabash digger

Here is a unmasking test I did today....a must see for all 6 inch coil users...[video]https://youtu.be/G8hs9j63ae8[/video]

CD,

I had similar results. I thought a smaller coil would do better in trashy locations after having good results going from stock 11" to 8". I then tried a 5" on my XS. Basically it seems when you get to that small of coil that any iron under the footprint of the coil will mask a good signal. The bigger DD coils have a definite "hot zone" running from the front to back of the coil that allow it to not see stuff nearby.

Good Video. Thanks.

Chris

I did similar tests with a nokta impact in my back garden a few years back. Garden is loaded with ferrous junk and found the smaller coils could not touch A large coin at only 3 inches. The stock coil 11 x 7 got the coin easily.

I used the 6" coil on my E-Trac a lot.

I was hunting an old yard last week with my Equinox. I went back over it with the 6" after I finished with the 11" and only found one wheatie and a silver plated spoon handle.

That told me that the 11" is good for almost all locations except the worst ones. That is when I will try the 6".

I just went outside and did a quick test with the 6" and 11" coil. I placed a dime 1/4" from the outside curve of a rusty bent nail.The 11" coil hit the dime at 16-17 only one way...when it hit the nail first.

The 6" coil hit it hard every way with a much stronger and stable 17 signal.

I think the 6" coil will find some suff the 11" missed.

Used Park2 on my Nox.

I have found that big coils miss loads too , (14 inch coils +) . In field tests i have done on sites loaded with modern coins the 11 inch coil was finding MUCH more coinage than a 14 inch coil i tried did.... I rarely go bigger than 11 inches with a coil these days ...

John said:
I just went outside and did a quick test with the 6" and 11" coil. I placed a dime 1/4" from the outside curve of a rusty bent nail.The 11" coil hit the dime at 16-17 only one way...when it hit the nail first.

The 6" coil hit it hard every way with a much stronger and stable 17 signal.

I think the 6" coil will find some suff the 11" missed.

Used Park2 on my Nox.

raise the nail 2.5 inches above the coin....same plane nail test are very misleading imo

All I can say is...yup. I just look in my pouch and consider what coils I was using when I’ve found the huge majority of my coins. It’s the 13x17 followed by the 11” coil. I’ve never seen the tiny coils really “light a place up”. I will say the small concentric coil on my Whites does a better job of separation than the stock coil, but I don’t even use that machine anymore, we be hunting DEEP coins over here. There might just be a REASON that manufacturers have gravitated to the 11” size, hmmm? Good demonstration...

This has been my experience as well....after meticulously hunting my favorite farm field with the 6” I found 1 penny...I’ve since been back over the same ground with the 11” and find a few pennies each time.. I do find the 6” to be a pleasure to use as far as how well balanced it is.....put the 11” coil after swinging the 6” coil a few hours and you will know what I mean.. I do find the 6” coil gives me better separation when micro jewelry hunting in freshwater....

Turn the coil swing over the coin / nail 90 degrees and then see how the smaller coil responds to nail proximity vs the larger coil. With the nail at the top of the coil rather than at the end of the swing, your results should be different than what you demonstrate in the video.

John, yes we can ….but this test and other test make it very obvious that the 6 doesnt have a huge benefit over the 11 if any other than its lighter. When you really think about it nails and coins are most likely not on the same plane in the ground... I have always heard about how good small coils were in iron and from testing I find that to be false EXCEPT they do better on Montes same plane nail test. ELEVATE the iron and they fail ...and that is a more likely situation on the type sites I hunt.

I had a few people basically call me a lier when I posted my test results between the 6 inch and 11 inch coils, pretty much what you show in your video.

tvr said:
Turn the coil swing over the coin / nail 90 degrees and then see how the smaller coil responds to nail proximity vs the larger coil. With the nail at the top of the coil rather than at the end of the swing, your results should be different than what you demonstrate in the video.
I did that test too....it had to be 2 inches in front of the coil for both coils to pick it up...totally opposite of what I was taught when I started detecting...

jayhop it is against what the higher ups in detecting have been feeding people for years...Montes nail board test has played a big part in the small coil craze because a small coil normally passes it better. A concentric will blister a DD coil on that test. Does that make a concentric a better unmasker? NO WAY Bury the targets...elevate the iron..etc both the small coil and concentric lose.

UNLESS of course all the iron and coins are all on the same plane... LOL :pinnochio

calabash digger said:
John, yes we can ….but this test and other test make it very obvious that the 6 doesnt have a huge benefit over the 11 if any other than its lighter. When you really think about it nails and coins are most likely not on the same plane in the ground... I have always heard about how good small coils were in iron and from testing I find that to be false EXCEPT they do better on Montes same plane nail test. ELEVATE the iron and they fail ...and that is a more likely situation on the type sites I hunt.

I don't consider the 6" coil substitute for the 11" coil in any way shape or form. It can be a good cleanup coil for sites with lots of nails it WILL detect items missed by larger coils.

I have posted my thoughts on the 6 inch coil on various forums. Most of the time they are ignored, and occasionally I get an angry response. Factoring in coverage and depth my personal opinion is the 11 inch stock coil is a no brainer. Some will never agree. Hey that's great. Use what you want to use. My way of thinking......Just don't post inaccurate information. Stop feeding the myth and tell the truth.

The 6 inch coil offers little target seperation value.

Now if we can get people to stop posting that the stock Equinox is light in weight and a pleasure to swing.

Thanks for the test and post.

I swing an Anfibio, and the only reason I switch to my smaller coil is because it is a concentric coil.
Depending on the area one is hunting, the smaller concentric coil can sometimes make detecting better/easier, especially in an area loaded with bottle crown caps or with heavy EMI. However, I have been using the stock coil most of the time.