Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

You know how much I love dogs-what was the name of your first dog(REX) :) NT

I thought it was spelled Penny until I dug out this old picture. I am sure that my mother labled it wrong because there is only two years between Gary and I and there is more than that between the two in the picture.
There is no doubt that is me but I suspect the other is Skip.

I still remember the day Pennie died. Not good

http://www.ksn.com/news/stories/8825423.html

A story about an abused puppy.It will make
you wonder about the human race.

My Aunt Joanne gave him to me when I was five years old. "Tubby" was my constant companion, went with me everywhere...even slept at the foot of my bed.

I remember the time that my Grandfather Kelley came for a visit one evening for the purpose of showing off his new Sears & Roebuck suit. We lived at the bottom of a hill and it was raining that evening...mud and water everywhere. When he got out of the car to make the run for the house, "Tubby" did not recognize him in his new suit and went after him. While trying to escape from the dog, Grandfather fell down in the mud and "Tubby" snapped at him, putting a snag in the trousers. We were all standing on the front porch watching...I was yelling at "Tubby" to stop while my Father was laughing his head off! Grandfather finally reached the safety of the front porch and was cursing up a storm while my Father was still laughing.

Mother tried to wipe some of the mud off the new suit, while my Grandfather was fussing at my Father for laughing at him. "Tubby" knew that he was in big trouble so he headed for the barn to hide. Grandmother was trying to calm everyone down, but for some reason, my Father would look at Grandfather and start laughing again. After a few minutes, Grandfather really got angry and they left. I remember Grandfather putting some newspapers on the car seat so that it would not get wet from his suit.

I only had "Tubby" for a few years...he disappeared one day and we never found him. I looked everywhere for him, but never found a trace of him. I suspect that he was stolen by someone. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

a Boston Terrier named "Spike".
We received him as a gift from a good friend of my Dad in 1957. He came to us at 6 weeks of age in a cornflakes box! So tiny and homely he was cute. He quickly fit into the family with his happy attitude and ability to learn but i of course had really wanted a hunting dog, and when told that Bostons did not hunt, i immediately set out to create an exception in the breed.

We had many rabbits, grouse, pheasant, in the area and i was well armed with a slingshot carved from a perfect willow "crotch" and of the finest "red tire rubber" remember that guys? It was not long until i stunned a rabbit with a lucky shot to the head, and Spike, then nearly a year old, saw the animal kicking in the brush, rushed up, grabbed it and shook it vigorously, finishing the job perfectly! After that he was a hunting dog and i seldom ever lost a critter that had been struck with my imperfect weapon.

In the late fall/early winter the rabbits would begin turning from their brown summer coat into the winter white phase. If the snow held off us boys had a heyday, as the bunnies were so easy to see, no leaves left on the brush and they stood out like beacons! We often made our spending money by selling rabbits to the local British people who did not share our disdain for such a poor meal:D

One day, under those perfect hunting conditions, tragedy struck! Spike had learned all about the white objects in the woods being his quarry, yummy rabbits! He would wait, quivering, until i had launched at least one rock or marble at the hapless bunny, i had to get good with the sling or spend half an hour chasing my "retriever"! This day we were wandering about and all the rabbits i had seen were leaving in a hurry or too far away, so both me and the dog were getting desperate. I had not paid enough attention to a piece of newspaper that had blown up against a tree and to my great "hunting dog", a white thing in the bush was a BUNNY!

Before i knew it he had lost patience with me and launched himself at the quarry as fast as his little legs could carry him and was in midleap before i twigged! He came down on the "rabbit" from three feet in the air at full speed and planted his head into the tree trunk, WHAM! The poor little guy lay limp and i thought my dog was dead :cry: Wow....i was in big trouble, how to explain this great loss, particularly when i had been told that he was not a hunting dog, it was all my fault!

I picked him up and began to trudge home sadly, then i felt movement, he lifted his head and licked my face, he was groggy but soon seemed fine and i was one happy young hunter! After that i avoided areas that contained anything he could mistake for a bunny! :lol:

Wayne

do things like that, notice something different. Your Dad was mighty brave under the circumstances :surprised: :rofl:

and he and your dad patched things up,it must have been one of those times when you get to laughing and can't stop.

my dad loved my granddad but they had a volatile relationship,i always hated it when they got into it.

that ive had are Princess which was an ole curr of some type of which my Daddy woke me up in the middle of the night for,(if the truth were known, it was probably a little after 10:00 pm when I was 5 or 6 years old.) I just sort of remember seeing her and nodding,"yeah", and went back to bed. She was brown and white. Topper was a birddog of some sort that Daddy gave me later own. We were out in the yard sweeping out the utility trailer when I remember the tongue of the trailer coming down on toppers snout. He was o. k.

Then there was Bandit, one deer-runnin son of a gun! He was full blooded Beagle.Johns old dog was Boy, then Linda had Mickey, the one-eyed chiwawau (snicker), Then there was Casey and Joey the cocker spaniels, Zach, Murphy, and Lucy the Irish Setters, and lets not forget ole Trudie Rudie, the Delivery Dog!

The best dog that I ever owned was a half border-collie/Austrailian Shepard that Carol had before she married me. The first time I met Snoop; her just sat beside me in the living room of Carols house in St Louis looking all regal with his head in the air and nose to the wind. He never made a move towards me until I initiated it. He wasnt much to look at , but he was very intelligient. He stayed in the house all day and never did we find a trace of urine or poop,(except once when he was sick).

He would never get out of the yard with Buddy, and Midnight, but seemed to know where my property boundries were. He was a great dog until I put some super-duper tick medicine on him that killed him. I also killed Mr. Kitty with the same stuff. (Mr Kitty came from 3 or 4 stray cats that Mama fed until the day she died. John and Virginia took them and out of them came Mr Kitty. Mamas GRANDCAT! Its been a while since Snoop, but Ive decided that I want a full blooded Border collie the next one I get.

lIL bROTHER :):)

I thought the dog had killed himself against that tree. Thank you for the happy ending! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I love some of those names. Thanks for sharing with the forum, very enjoyable. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I think that all families have experiences similar to this! We never harbored bad feelings in my family...we lived to enjoy each other and life in general. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)